“Not up to standard”
Review of Torbay Court Hotel

Torbay Court Hotel
Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Reviewed 4 August 2013

The hotel is very dated and in desperate need of refurbishment. We booked 2 single rooms with shower and they were both very poor indeed. The shower is a mixer tap from the taps in the bath not a proper shower as I expected. I managed to get mine to work but my friend was unable to use his. . I had called the hotel previously as I had read some bad reviews and they assured me that they had undergone extensive refurbishment since those bad reviews. Sadly this was untrue. In their favour the staff were very friendly and they did offer me vegetarian sausages for my breakfast but sadly the food was not up to the standard I would expect. My friends cooked breakfast consisted of a small spoonful of beans, one sausage, half a tomato and half a rasher of bacon with a fried egg. If the rooms had been half the price then it might have worth it just to have somewhere to get our heads down but I wouldn't go there again in a hurry.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Tattyegg
GMKayley, General Manager at Torbay Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Thank you for writing your review. Your comments are very valuable to us since they help us to improve our quality and services at the Torbay Court Hotel. We are disappointed to hear that your room or the food did not meet your expectations as we are constantly striving to offer excellent value and service. If any problems are reported to our staff we are always happy to help and we have a maintenance team available to fix any reported problems immediately when it is brought to our attention.
Our full English Breakfast consists of sausage, bacon, egg, beans, tomato and fried bread and we also offer porridge, smoked haddock, kippers, a range of cereals, juices and fruits etc. Should a problem be brought to our attention we would always offer an alternative.
We do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Torbay Court again in the future. The quality and standards of the hotel are constantly improving as we continue to refurbish the hotel.

There are newer reviews for Torbay Court Hotel

Reviewed 2 August 2013

i try my best to find the good side of everything,but TORBAY COURT HOTEL you have beaten me.I can only describe this hotel as A PUBLIC TOILET WITH A BED,,,,,,I stayed at several hotels during my week off with my partner which were all brilliant.You should close down and get your upgrade work done,then reopen......NOT ROCKET SCIENCE ?? THANKYOU FOR RUINING THE END OF MY HOLIDAY ps we didnt even bother unpacking our bags

Room Tip: cant think of one sorry
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank chargoi22

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your comments are very valuable to us since they help us to improve our quality and services at the Torbay Court Hotel. We are disappointed to hear that the hotel did not meet your expectations as we are constantly striving to offer excellent value and service in the hotel. However, should any problems be reported to our staff we are always happy to offer alternatives or correct any problems immediately when it is brought to our attention.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

Nice Hotel with a short level walk to the sea front area. Myself and friends stayed at The Torbay Court Hotel as part of a large coach party of two coaches, so there was around 100 persons arriving to be fed at the same time so it is understandable that some tables were served slowly at times, but this is my only slightly negative observation. I found the hotel fine for my needs - room was good - in general the food was good - the staff were polite, helpful and friendly, the barman had an entertaining sense of humour and the entertainment (included in the price) was good.
Paignton it self was a joy, with its lovely beach, pier and harbour. There were many nice sea front bars with plenty of outside seating with in easy walking of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your lovely review of the hotel. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay, it is great to hear such positive comments and we hope to welcome you back to the Torbay Court Hotel again soon to see more of the improvements we have made

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Avoid this hotel at all costs, rooms are in a state of repair, drab and cramped.
Service is SLOW and the food is poor quality apart from the Soup and Vegetables.
Dirty Cups, Jugs left empty at breakfast due to lack of Staff. (although I was informed this is not so).
Bar left unattended because Barman has to help out at meal times and act as Bingo caller.
Building work going on outside hotel.
Light Bulbs out or missing in Lounge.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RoderickG1939
GMKayley, General Manager at Torbay Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your comments are very valuable to us since they help us to improve our quality and services at the Torbay Court Hotel. We are disappointed to hear that your room or the food did not meet your expectations as we are constantly striving to offer excellent value and service in the hotel. However, should any problems be reported to our staff we are always happy to offer alternatives or correct any problems immediately when it is brought to our attention. Unfortunately the building site across the road is out of our control.
We do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Torbay Court again in the future. The quality and standards of the hotel are continually reviewed and a full refurbishment of the hotel is well underway so the standards are constantly improving.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

I'm writing this review on behalf of my Grandma who was unfortunate enough to have to eat the slop that they called food for several days! In all the places she has stayed over many years this hotel was apparently the worst she'd ever experienced and she compared it to faulty towers.

Inedible food, filthy crockery and cutlery were daily occurrences and the water jugs placed on the dinner tables each evening looked as though they had been used as vases with a lovely brown coating in the bottoms, yuk!

On a more positive note the bedrooms were cleaned well - obviously not cleaned by the same people that washed the pots!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Nat222
GMKayley, General Manager at Torbay Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel.We would like to let you know that your comments are very valuable to us since they help us to improve our quality and services at the Torbay Court Hotel. We are disappointed to hear that our meals did not meet your grandmas expectations as we do strice to provide excellent value and service in our restaurant, however we are always happy to offer an alternative meal or remedy any problem when it is brought to our attention.
We do hope that we will be able to welcome your grandma back to the Torbay Court again in the future. The quality and standards of the hotel are continually reviewed to ensure we are providing guests a service and quality that is second to none.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Hotel quite good value for money,food very good, waiting staff excellent large dining room also large area where they have entertainment each night. excellent location 2 mins to the sea front and 5 mins through the park to get to all shops or you can go long way round about 15 mins.
Hotel still under going refurbishment but do,s not affect your stay and they still have quite a bit to do but overall a good holiday

Room Tip: We were in room 5, this had been refurbished and had a nice position at side of hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and your kind mention of our excellent staff is very much appreciated and will be duly passed on. We hope to welcome you back to the Torbay Court Hotel again soon

Reviewed 10 June 2013

We signed up for a long weekend at the Torbay Court Hotel through GB Tours. I must say that GB Tours involvement was providing the coach services which were exemplary. I had looked at the Hotel's website prior to booking and was happy with what I saw, but how deceptive appearances can be. First impressions were shocking. There was scaffolding around one corner of the building which was being repainted and the other corner was desperate for a coat or two of paint. As we turned the corner to the entrance, we were faced with a building site across the road. When we entered our bedroom, the window was wide open and a radio was blasting out for the painters to listen to on the scaffolding outside of our room. The window sill and carpet had suffered with dirt and flaked paint from the painters using the room as an access point. This, after the coach driver had called ahead to see if they were ready for our arrival, approximately two hours before we got there. Work had taken place in the bathroom where wiring had been put in. Unfortunately the cleaners could not see the dust that was all down the walls where they had been drilling holes. Corners also don't seem to be on the cleaners list of things to do! OK, the food. Breakfast offered cereals, toast, fresh juice and you could opt for a full English or eggs on toast. I'm afraid "nice big breakfast" is not how I would describe what was put in front of me. Having tried the fried eggs, I decided that a poached egg might be better. It was IF you like vinegar with it! I don't (I am advised that the vinegar is added to the water to stop the eggs from sticking to the pan)! Dinner was adequate if you made the right choice. However, on entering the dining room on the last evening there was an unusual and quite unpleasant smell. Those that had chosen a particular meal were served up boiled pickled red cabbage as vegetable course. Isn't this a Polish dish? Those staff employed as waiters and waitresses can take a deserved pat on the back as they alone tried their very best to keep everyone happy. Finally, don't expect a seaview. We called the hotel prior to our trip to request a seaview. We were told that they would call us back. They never did and we now know why.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank John T

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We would like to let you know that your comments are very valuable to us since they will help us improve our quality and services at the Torbay Court Hotel. As advertised on our website the hotel is currently undergoing an on-going refurbishment plan. However all works including the painting of the outside take place between 9.30am and 5pm Monday to Friday. to cause minimum disturbance. Unfortunately it does appear that by human error a radio was left on the window sill and some dust had settled on the window sill from the open window, when this was brought to our attention the radio was removed immediately and someone was sent to ensure that the windowsill was cleaned thoroughly although this was done instantly another room was also offered as an alternative.
At the Torbay Court we always strive to ensure that all our guests are completely satisfied with their meals and if any problem is encountered we are happy to exchange or offer an alternative, at the hotel we do not serve pickled cabbage however we do serve braised red cabbage as one of the accompaniments to our roast beef. Thank you very much for your praise of our lovely staff. It gives us great delight to hear such great comments and will be passed on as it is always very much appreciated by the staff.
We do hope you will visit us again soon to see how the service and hotel are continually improving.