“Winter's Day Snack”

Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 17 February 2014

It was a rare sunny February day when my wife and I visited The Ship Inn, in Preston, Paignton. It was lunchtime, but we only fancied a small snack and a drink. Although it felt warm in the sunshine, the 'beer garden' area out the front was deserted and many of the picnic benches were piled up in storage for the winter. We grabbed one that was in service and I headed in to get the menu. We ordered one Wiltshire ham and salad wrap with chips for me (£3.99), a plate of cheesy chips for my wife (£2.50) and a chilled bottle of White Zinfandel. Soon after, the order arrived together with a cleverly designed wooden carrier containing knives, forks, napkins and a good selection of condiments. The food and wine were very good and the price, I thought, was very reasonable. The bar lady was friendly and polite and the service was reasonably quick. In the summertime this outdoor area is a bit of a suntrap and can become very warm and pleasent. Indoors, the pub is nicely decorated and furnished and sometimes there is entertainment in the evenings. With its location and close proximity to the beach, I would recommend The Ship Inn to both locals and holidaymakers alike.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Went to The Ship after a funeral in Torbay today. Although we have passed it many times we have never been inside before. We had a meal and it filled the spot quite adequately. It was really good value for money and was welcoming and clean.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We visit The Ship Inn when staying nearby in B&B/hotels, the food is always of a good standard. On the 30th December we struggled to find a table around 6.00pm, the place was so busy - which is usually a good sign. Unfortunately for us we had to substitute the roast chicken for a grilled chicken breast, not too much of a hardship I guess, as the place was so busy they had sold out of roast chicken. My daughter and I had the chicken and ribs - oh boy the rib meat just fell off the bone, they were delicious and well worth the 45 minute wait we'd been quoted and had waited. The atmosphere here is warm and welcoming, the staff friendly and polite.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

good food, helpful staff great prices what more do you want well worth a visit only bad comment had to wait a long time for the food

Reviewed 19 December 2013

The food was good. They have lots of "specials" at very reasonable prices. We paid £5 for a meal and a beer together. The food was good, if plain, and the atmosphere was quite welcoming. We will definitely go again as it was very good value. There is parking behind the pub but it is limited. They also run quizzes.