“Cold food, uncaring attitude by staff”
Review of Ship Inn

Ship Inn
Ranked #103 of 182 Restaurants in Paignton
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Paignton, United Kingdom
“Cold food, uncaring attitude by staff”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Popped in for a light lunch with 5 family members. Ordered a jacket potato with cheese whilst family all ordered different meals. All the plates were cold and my potato, although being the smallest of the crop, was stone cold inside - obviously cooked from frozen but not for long enough! The sprinkling of cheese had no chance of melting and there was no butter making it very dry. My husband's burger was barely warm, my son-in-laws' pulled pork was a few strands smothered in barbecue sauce and my grandsons' triple burgers were just filled out with loads of onion rings. Not a very pleasant experience!

• Visited April 2014

Paignton, United Kingdom
“Cheap and cheerful”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

A large pub with a good selection of drinks. The food is probably the cheapest I've come across which reflects on the quality. It depends on what you are after, not ideal for a special occasion but perfect for a large family wanting cheap food after a day at the beach.

Visited July 2013
Paignton
“Winter's Day Snack”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

It was a rare sunny February day when my wife and I visited The Ship Inn, in Preston, Paignton. It was lunchtime, but we only fancied a small snack and a drink. Although it felt warm in the sunshine, the 'beer garden' area out the front was deserted and many of the picnic benches were piled up in storage for the winter. We grabbed one that was in service and I headed in to get the menu. We ordered one Wiltshire ham and salad wrap with chips for me (£3.99), a plate of cheesy chips for my wife (£2.50) and a chilled bottle of White Zinfandel. Soon after, the order arrived together with a cleverly designed wooden carrier containing knives, forks, napkins and a good selection of condiments. The food and wine were very good and the price, I thought, was very reasonable. The bar lady was friendly and polite and the service was reasonably quick. In the summertime this outdoor area is a bit of a suntrap and can become very warm and pleasent. Indoors, the pub is nicely decorated and furnished and sometimes there is entertainment in the evenings. With its location and close proximity to the beach, I would recommend The Ship Inn to both locals and holidaymakers alike.

• Visited February 2014
Shaldon, United Kingdom
“Really good value for money”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Went to The Ship after a funeral in Torbay today. Although we have passed it many times we have never been inside before. We had a meal and it filled the spot quite adequately. It was really good value for money and was welcoming and clean.

• Visited February 2014
Dudley, United Kingdom
“Busy New Years Eve Eve”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We visit The Ship Inn when staying nearby in B&B/hotels, the food is always of a good standard. On the 30th December we struggled to find a table around 6.00pm, the place was so busy - which is usually a good sign. Unfortunately for us we had to substitute the roast chicken for a grilled chicken breast, not too much of a hardship I guess, as the place was so busy they had sold out of roast chicken. My daughter and I had the chicken and ribs - oh boy the rib meat just fell off the bone, they were delicious and well worth the 45 minute wait we'd been quoted and had waited. The atmosphere here is warm and welcoming, the staff friendly and polite.

• Visited December 2013