“A bit disappointed really.”

and 1 more site!
The Redcliffe Hotel
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Reviewed 13 March 2013

I was left a bit disapponted with my visit to this hotel. I stayed here in December 2012 and don't think i'd go back.

Things started well, on arrival i was very impressed with the reception and public areas which were which grand. I was told my room would be "In the Tower" which sounded grand especially if the reception area was anything to go by. However after lugging my bags up into the tower i found my room key wouldn't let me in, so back down i had to go, to be brought back up by a member of staff who confirmed that it wasn't my error. Anyway they let me into the room and delivered a new key shortly after.

I use hotels mostly for business and as such list about 4-5 things that i require to make my visit comfortable and enjoyable. Here i break down each area and how this hotel rates.

Bed. 2 out of 5
The bed itself was comfortable enough but the pillows were too soft. I asked for firmer pillows but was told there were none. For me getting a good nights sleep when away is not easy. I like firmer pillows and when using ultra soft pillows always leads to a bad nights sleep and doesn't set me up for a good days business the following day.

Quietness. 2 out of 5
My room was next to a fire door in the corridor, which didn't shut quietly every time someone went through it, also my door didn't seem to stop much corridor noise coming into the room which wasn't helped by the floor outside squeaking when walked on.

Shower. 1 out of 5
I rate an excellent shower as one of the most important points in a hotel room, it just gets me set for the day. This room did not have a power shower, but had an electric shower in the cubicle like i have at home. I haven't seen this in a hotel before. Needless to say this didn't exactly give me the powerful hot shower that was going to wake me from a broken nights sleep.
Also the heating in the bathroom wasn't on and i couldn't get it working either. In december on the english coast is not great in the morning.

Breakfast 4 out of 5
Great breakfast. Cooked to order and was nice and fresh.

Location 2 out of 5
This room was booked in a bit of a rush. It looked nice and said close to the seafront. I thought this would be ideal to go into town at night to get some food and have a look around. But it wasn't until i was walking into town that realised it was quite a way out of town. There are many other quality hotels that are closer to the centre of town. It took me about 15-20 minutes to get to the centre of the town.

Other comments.

- Staff onsite were very helpful and professional.
- Wifi did not work. I called this and a staff member come up to assist but couldn't get it working.
- I didn't get a receipt on departure. I needed this to claim my expenses from my employer. I had to call 3 times, when each time they said they would send it, before it arrived by email.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Mitch C

Reviewed 18 February 2013

I've stayed here for several line dance weekends and this hotel never fails to please.

Good old fashioned service - food served to your table so no self-serve queues. There's always plenty to choose from on the menu.

The hotel isn't just for dancers but for those who like dancing, there's a maple floored ballroom with plenty of seating and it's near the bar. Snacks and bar meals are reasonably priced.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank SandraC2911
Reviewed 12 February 2013

The Devon & Cornwall Caravan Club has just held there Dinner Dance at the redcliffe Hotel and oh boy !! it was fantastic, the staff were always ready to help, and as stewards of the DD, we felt at ease, They were just great to all of us, Derek the duty manager was brilliant along with his staff and so was the restuarant manager carl and the staff in the restaurant, the whole hotel was excellent, the spa was out of this world, i felt really relaxed. I totally agree with Mrs Sonja P, they were all very friendly. And along with them I hope We, were A great Group of people too,
Many thanks to all of you willl definately stay there again soon . Great Hotel Mr Twigger, Now they all need a pay rise. lol

Room Tip: room 54 honeymoon suite. friends had this one it looked fab,! next time it will be mine.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank michelle s
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We have just returned from a weekend stay and found all the staff VERY friendly, they all spoke if you met them in the corridor and when serving you nothing was too much trouble. Everone was very attentive and strived to make thier guests enjoy a pleasant stay. The meals were wonderful and apart from the cereal at breakfast everything is bought to you. (Silver service). Our room was large & comfortable but although it was on the ground floor they was a short flight of steps halfway along due to the change in floor level. No problem for us but it is worth checking if you have a mobility problem. There are steps at the front entrance too and although I did not see a sign for Disabled Access I am sure that the hotel must have one. The hotel has a great traditional atmosphere with sea views and we thoroughly enjoyed our DInner & Dance weekend at the Redcliffe.

Room Tip: Room 18. NO sea view (unlewss we stood on a chair!) Side view towards gardens. Quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 February 2013

when we arrived in the car park it looked busy! yes the bar was full of older people having lunchtime meals and snacks, but our service was good. we were shown our meeting room and where to get lunch in a quiet area. the food was just right. served quickly and hot. then off to a private room for our meeting with the most wonderful sea views. we were given privacy and that meant the other guests did not have to listen to or watch us discuss work.

Room Tip: try to get a sea view, it must cost a bit more but the view is to die for.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Just returned from 2nd visit and no wonder people keep on returning time after time! If you are looking for a warm, friendly, welcoming hotel in a superb position with delicious food then this is for you. It is not ultra-modern in decor but that pales into insignificance. There is a heated pool, fitness gym, hairdresser and beautician on site and the dining room views are fantastic. Cannot complain about anything and looking forward to booking another break soon.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the sea - 125 was perfect - just open your curtains and there it is!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 186424Traveller
Reviewed 8 December 2012

This hotel was very clean and the food was excellent with friendly staff.The entertainement in the evenings was good and really good holiday all round.They definatelt cater for every generation and nothing was to much trouble.

Room Tip: The sea views were lovely and we didn't have any trouble with noise.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends