I was left a bit disapponted with my visit to this hotel. I stayed here in December 2012 and don't think i'd go back.
Things started well, on arrival i was very impressed with the reception and public areas which were which grand. I was told my room would be "In the Tower" which sounded grand especially if the reception area was anything to go by. However after lugging my bags up into the tower i found my room key wouldn't let me in, so back down i had to go, to be brought back up by a member of staff who confirmed that it wasn't my error. Anyway they let me into the room and delivered a new key shortly after.
I use hotels mostly for business and as such list about 4-5 things that i require to make my visit comfortable and enjoyable. Here i break down each area and how this hotel rates.
Bed. 2 out of 5
The bed itself was comfortable enough but the pillows were too soft. I asked for firmer pillows but was told there were none. For me getting a good nights sleep when away is not easy. I like firmer pillows and when using ultra soft pillows always leads to a bad nights sleep and doesn't set me up for a good days business the following day.
Quietness. 2 out of 5
My room was next to a fire door in the corridor, which didn't shut quietly every time someone went through it, also my door didn't seem to stop much corridor noise coming into the room which wasn't helped by the floor outside squeaking when walked on.
Shower. 1 out of 5
I rate an excellent shower as one of the most important points in a hotel room, it just gets me set for the day. This room did not have a power shower, but had an electric shower in the cubicle like i have at home. I haven't seen this in a hotel before. Needless to say this didn't exactly give me the powerful hot shower that was going to wake me from a broken nights sleep.
Also the heating in the bathroom wasn't on and i couldn't get it working either. In december on the english coast is not great in the morning.
Breakfast 4 out of 5
Great breakfast. Cooked to order and was nice and fresh.
Location 2 out of 5
This room was booked in a bit of a rush. It looked nice and said close to the seafront. I thought this would be ideal to go into town at night to get some food and have a look around. But it wasn't until i was walking into town that realised it was quite a way out of town. There are many other quality hotels that are closer to the centre of town. It took me about 15-20 minutes to get to the centre of the town.
- Staff onsite were very helpful and professional.
- Wifi did not work. I called this and a staff member come up to assist but couldn't get it working.
- I didn't get a receipt on departure. I needed this to claim my expenses from my employer. I had to call 3 times, when each time they said they would send it, before it arrived by email.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Superbly situated on the Seafront of Paignton in the "English Riviera". The Redcliffe offers every facility to ensure a enjoyable and memorable stay, whether for business or pleasure.The Redcliffe is a privately owned hotel with 69 bedrooms, set in 3 acres of grounds at sea level, and enjoys panoramic views across Tor Bay, from elegant Torquay on one side to the quaint fishing port of Brixham on the other.All bedrooms are en suite with Digital LCD TV, Radio, Free 5G Wi Fi, tea making facilities, hairdryers and direct dial telephones. There are also a number of inter-connecting rooms, ideal for families.Private car parking for 100 cars is available in the hotel's spacious grounds.We pride ourselves on the warm and friendly atmosphere within the hotel and our many long-serving staff ensure that standards of service remain as high today as they were 30 years ago. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA and Booking.com so you can book your The Redcliffe Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Redcliffe Hotel Paignton
- The Redcliffe Hotel Paignton, Devon