“Choose carefully to suit your taste and preferences”

and 1 more site!
The Redcliffe Hotel
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We stayed here as part of a celebration of my parents' 60th wedding anniversary. This hotel has two significant distinctions (i) the service and friendliness of the staff which, in my extensive experience of staying in domestic hotels, is exceptional, and (ii) the unique and exceptional location and views over the bay especially from the restaurant (which also means the hotel provides good walks on the beach outside the front door). Looking through these very clear virtues, it is relatively expensive (for two sharing a room on a B&B basis) for what is in places a typically in places tired three star seaside hotel. Our room was functional, clean and comfortable but unexceptional. The bed was small in a relatively small room. The balcony view and ventilation was impaired from time to time by being above the smoking shelter which meant that we often had far from fresh sea air ventilating the room. The restaurant food did not seek any distinction or pretention so was a matter of very traditional taste, especially at dinner. I can see how this might appeal to an older demographic with traditional taste in food and as part of a well negotiated dance package. But as a one off individual booking the total experience was very mixed with, on balance, the service and views marginally outweighing the over priced room and average ambience and food. As a package it clearly works as the hotel seemed pretty full in terms of occupancy so can afford aiming off costly internet yield management.

Room Tip: Avoid room 101 overlooking smoking shelter
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 May 2013

A first class hotel with excellent food and accommodation. All staff made us welcome and we enjoyed our stay. We were on a Dance Break from Cheltenham and all facilities were used and enjoyed. One light hearted comment is worth a mention and this revolved around one evening meal where Pork was on the menu. It was necessary to have a word with the Restaurant Manager regarding the pork being very tough. Within seconds he produced a steak knife to help cutting the pork but this did not help the meat to be any tender. It was necessary to leave the pork with no alternative suggestion from the Manager. I approached the manager later in the evening and he said he was sorry and would have a word with the Chef. No further mention.

Room Tip: Only to make sure you get a sea and beach view. Well worth it.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I stayed for one night at this hotel as I was attending a birthday party, and decided to stay over rather than have to arrange travel back so late at night.
It was a November Saturday evening, but it wasn't that cold, and when I got to my room I thought the heating was on. I checked the radiators, but they were not on. It was a nice small double room.
Nicely furnished and only on the the first floor, so I could wander (?) back from the party without too much trouble!
The staff were very helpful, and sorted out every query that I had.
This hotel is right on the beach. From the outside area out of the function room, you could stand there and watch the waves lap the beach below, and look at the scenery and lights around the bay.
The following morning I was up early, so went to breakfast in the dining room. I was first in and wow what a sight.The panoramic windows overlooked the bay and the sea, and the sun had just come up and was getting higher in the sky. I sat eating my breakfast looking out at the view that was in front of me. It started my day brilliantly. Sitting there you would not have thought that it was November and suppose to be winter.
All of the staff were helpful and friendly, and nothing was too much trouble.
I would certainly come here and stay again, even if it was for one night. It would be relaxing, and its near enough to explore the surrounding area, or go further afield using the public transport which is easily available.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank mistymoor
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Today we held a 90th birthday party for my mother at the Redcliffe. It was wonderful - lovely staff, food and location and my mother will remember it with very happy memories. Cannot praise them enough.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 22Lib22
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I am a local to this hotel and have been a member of their Health Club. I can tell you that it is clean and well run and you will enjoy using it. But please stay away from the Beauty Consultant who is impossible to contact and downright rude and unhelpful when you do. I needed to book a treatment which I had already paid for via Groupon, I was made to wait weeks before she could give me an appointment, unfortunatley on the day I had to cancel it due to a family emergency. When I rang within a very few days to rearrange I was told "Oh that, I am not doing that anymore!", I explained that I had already paid and that it was only towards the end of the deal because she had kept me waiting so long. She said "tough"!! A disgrace to a nice hotel that deserves better than this.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank LIndsey H
Redclfe, Owner at The Redcliffe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2013

The Hotel Management very much regrets the problems this lady has experienced with the beautician, but would like to make it clear that the Beauty Centre is leased out and operated independently by the lessee. We pride ourselves on the service given by our own staff and would request that we are judged on that.

Reviewed 12 April 2013

Visited this hotel for the 4th time last weekend. Stayed there on a dance weekend. Once again the room was very clean, bed comfortable and the food delicious. The swimming pool is well cared for and I enjoyed a daily swim and steam while there. The ballroom has excellent floor and is well suited to dance weekends. The staff are friendly. Many of the staff I recognised from two years ago which must mean that they treat their staff well. Will definitely go there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I do not know where to begin. I cannot fault this hotel, wonderful location, top-notch evening meals, first class breakfasts, nice pool, comfortable and clean rooms and, to top things off, lovely staff.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
The Palace
#5 of 17 in Paignton
The Headland Hotel
The Headland Hotel
#12 of 85 in Torquay

Been to The Redcliffe Hotel? Share your experiences!