“Traditional hotel with great sea view and fantastic staff”

The Redcliffe Hotel
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Paignton
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
“Traditional hotel with great sea view and fantastic staff”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Stayed in room 59 in the tower. Fantastic room with amazing views over the sea. Room was very clean, comfortable and quiet. If you are looking for a traditional hotel with friendly and attentive staff then you can't go wrong here. Great value for money too.

Will definitely be back next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kate L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
dorset
Reviewed 3 July 2013

The Redcliffe offers a very enjoyable hotel experience. Great ambience and traditional decor combined with modern conveniences. Thanks to a very helpful receptionist we were absolutely delighted with our room; spacious, spotless and well positioned to make the most of the sea views from the balcony.

Food was nice - ate far too much. Staff were, in the main, brilliant and they did exceed in helping to make a special request happen which added to the enjoyment of our stay.

From the moment we checked in we started to relax and that's how we stayed until departure.

Spent a couple of hours in Brixham and found an excellent shop in the town centre (Fore Street) selling retro/Hell Bunny/Tropical/RocknRoll dresses at very reasonable prices. Well worth a visit if you are into that style, could have spent the day in there - well, one of us could!!
Will definitely return to the shop whilst staying, of course, at The Redcliffe.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stormdancer10
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Fantastic hotel - the staff were brilliant, food delicious and the rooms spacious and comfortable. We stayed with our four-year-old son and the staff were extremely accommodating to our needs. The restaurant was particularly impressive - as a coeliac, I required gluten-free food, and was presented with a tasty gluten-free roll immediately and then, unlike in many restaurants where people with food intolerances and allergies are presented with few choices, there were very few things here I could not eat. The chef also prepared special things for me and for the children's menu for my son on their recommendation, without me even needing to suggest this myself. Really high quality food and a smart restaurant made me question why this hotel only has a three-star rating. Other reasons this would be a great family choice is the lovely warm swimming pool and children's play area to make no mention of the fascinating building this hotel is housed in right next to the beach. A brilliant experience and one I'd highly recommend. The location was excellent for trips along the English Riviera with tons to do for children and adults alike.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank francesca l
Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Stayed at the Redcliffe on a 4 night break We found the food to be excellent. The staff were second to none friendly and helpful and very efficient. We had a very pleasant room with balcony overlooking the promenade and pier. When we arrived home I realised I had left a t shirt behind I phoned the hotel and they packaged it up and sent it on to me. Thank to all the staff at the Redcliffe hope to see you all again

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mav17
Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We stayed here as part of a celebration of my parents' 60th wedding anniversary. This hotel has two significant distinctions (i) the service and friendliness of the staff which, in my extensive experience of staying in domestic hotels, is exceptional, and (ii) the unique and exceptional location and views over the bay especially from the restaurant (which also means the hotel provides good walks on the beach outside the front door). Looking through these very clear virtues, it is relatively expensive (for two sharing a room on a B&B basis) for what is in places a typically in places tired three star seaside hotel. Our room was functional, clean and comfortable but unexceptional. The bed was small in a relatively small room. The balcony view and ventilation was impaired from time to time by being above the smoking shelter which meant that we often had far from fresh sea air ventilating the room. The restaurant food did not seek any distinction or pretention so was a matter of very traditional taste, especially at dinner. I can see how this might appeal to an older demographic with traditional taste in food and as part of a well negotiated dance package. But as a one off individual booking the total experience was very mixed with, on balance, the service and views marginally outweighing the over priced room and average ambience and food. As a package it clearly works as the hotel seemed pretty full in terms of occupancy so can afford aiming off costly internet yield management.

Room Tip: Avoid room 101 overlooking smoking shelter
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2013

A first class hotel with excellent food and accommodation. All staff made us welcome and we enjoyed our stay. We were on a Dance Break from Cheltenham and all facilities were used and enjoyed. One light hearted comment is worth a mention and this revolved around one evening meal where Pork was on the menu. It was necessary to have a word with the Restaurant Manager regarding the pork being very tough. Within seconds he produced a steak knife to help cutting the pork but this did not help the meat to be any tender. It was necessary to leave the pork with no alternative suggestion from the Manager. I approached the manager later in the evening and he said he was sorry and would have a word with the Chef. No further mention.

Room Tip: Only to make sure you get a sea and beach view. Well worth it.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I stayed for one night at this hotel as I was attending a birthday party, and decided to stay over rather than have to arrange travel back so late at night.
It was a November Saturday evening, but it wasn't that cold, and when I got to my room I thought the heating was on. I checked the radiators, but they were not on. It was a nice small double room.
Nicely furnished and only on the the first floor, so I could wander (?) back from the party without too much trouble!
The staff were very helpful, and sorted out every query that I had.
This hotel is right on the beach. From the outside area out of the function room, you could stand there and watch the waves lap the beach below, and look at the scenery and lights around the bay.
The following morning I was up early, so went to breakfast in the dining room. I was first in and wow what a sight.The panoramic windows overlooked the bay and the sea, and the sun had just come up and was getting higher in the sky. I sat eating my breakfast looking out at the view that was in front of me. It started my day brilliantly. Sitting there you would not have thought that it was November and suppose to be winter.
All of the staff were helpful and friendly, and nothing was too much trouble.
I would certainly come here and stay again, even if it was for one night. It would be relaxing, and its near enough to explore the surrounding area, or go further afield using the public transport which is easily available.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank mistymoor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paignton
Premier Inn Paignton Seafront (Goodrington Sands) Hotel
#11 of 17 in Paignton
Queens Hotel
Queens Hotel
#5 of 17 in Paignton

Been to The Redcliffe Hotel? Share your experiences!