“Amazing afternoon tea”

Culloden Estate & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Holywood
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Our family had a wonderful afternoon tea experience at Culloden estate and spa to celebrate a special Birthday The staff could not have been more attentive as we settled down for the afternoon in their beautiful dining room. After a lovely glass of bubbly we were treated to an exquisite selection of tasty sandwiches ,beautiful scones and wonderful pastries and cakes. The smoked salmon rolls and fruit tarts were especially yummy with all the tea and coffee you could want freely offered. What a brilliant way to spend an afternoon and it really is good value considering the amount of food offered. Cant wait for the next birthday!!!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
cullodenhotel, General Manager at Culloden Estate & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Dear CharlesO,

Following your review of 10 June 2012, I am writing to express my thanks at your very kind comments; it is such a joy to receive a review of extreme praise.

I was delighted that you had rated your experience with us to be “Amazing”. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Culloden Estate and Spa in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 9 June 2012

I was part of a family group covering threee generations on my first stay at this luxurious hotel. I must say that staff were more than helpful to all our differing needs. The food in the restaurant was beautiful and made excellent use of 'local produce'.The grounds are a fabulous setting for a tranquil break, highly recommeneded.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Dear SimonC,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Culloden Estate and Spa with potential travellers. I would also like to express my thanks at your very kind comments towards the Culloden Hotel and particularly towards our staff.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 9 June 2012

This is our 2nd review in as many months of afternoon tea in the fabulous Culloden.
The 1st was sadly a very negative experience on my wife's birthday when they failed to live up to their 5* rating.
Not to dwell on that, we were invited to return by the General Manager to show how things should have been done back in March and I'm pleased to say it ticked all the boxes.
First and foremost we were given a lovely table by the window over-looking the gardens and as luck would have it, we were treated to a display of a wedding party strolling through for their photo shoot. A very talented pianist playing in the background added to the atmosphere.
Now for the best bit..... The pastries and sandwiches were superb this time round for both of us. Being coeliac, they got it spot on this time, the selection was varied and looked great on the plate.
We were offered re-fills of tea and coffee, and the attentive staff friendly and courteous.
Thanks to Peter for checking if things were up to their standards.
They must have been as the place was buzzing.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We stayed at the Culloden as part of our honeymoon.

There was a draft coming in the windows of the restaurant that we ate in and the food was very disappointing for a five star hotel. There was absolutely no atmosphere in the hotel. We sensed a bad vibe towards us from certain staff for whatever reason we do not know. Consequently we felt uncomfortable staying in the hotel and checked out the next day, even though we we meant to stay two nights!

We will never go back to that hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AidanAisling
Reviewed 6 June 2012

The Culloden was just amazing from start to finish, our room was massive and the decor was to die for. My boyfriend and I used the spa and leisure facilities it was so relaxing, everything you would want. We dined in the restaurant which was also amazing, beautifully presented. The staff couldn't have been any nicer so friendly and helpful, Pauric the barman makes the most amazing cocktails and Neil Devlin the manager was so good at looking after us. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone because we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
cullodenhotel, General Manager at Culloden Estate & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Dear Claire M

Thank you for taking the time to write to a review on Tripadvisor.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your very kind comments regarding the Culloden Estate & Spa.

Reviewed 6 June 2012

We stayed at the Culloden last week as our friends were holding their wedding reception there. The wedding was very good but friends & family had warned us that the Culloden was a 'one night only hotel' that wasn't really interested in their customers as they get most of their business through wedding parties nowadays.
We have stayed at several hotels throughout Northern Ireland, as well as 3 other Hastings hotels. We were looking forward to a night without the kids and a little bit of luxury.
Check in was fine. We had been given a wedding rate of £135 per night B & B. The room was ok, a basement level room, no view apart from an extractor fan, but we weren't that worried as we were planning to go to the wedding until late evening.
We checked in around 3pm, put the bags in the room, the room was BOILING hot so we turned down the radiator (no aircon) and opened the window.
Just a few notes on the room at this point - reasonable decoration, wallpaper peeling in places, a few nice touches such as toiletries and a titanic rubber duck in the bathroom, but room itself was a bit tired, it gave the impression although tidy & clean, no-one could really be bothered to stick the peeling wallpaper back on the wall.
Having partied the night away and returning to the room, the temperature was probably around 30 degrees, perhaps higher. We checked the radiator and despite having turned it off, it was still pumping out heat. Throughout the night we woke around every 30 mins because of the temperature and the noise of the extractor fan opposite our window. It was a terrible nights sleep. One of the worst I have ever had (which includes those after bringing home two babies!!)
Not at all the luxury accommodation that had been expected. Dragging ourselves from our Sauna in the morning we went to breakfast.
We were given a table with a fantastic view - credit where credit is due - but the service in the restaurant was AWFUL.
We were told out breakfast was a buffet and offered tea and coffee. The tea arrived, but despite asking several times, we had to take milk from another table. We were not offered toast - so again we asked for some - this didn't materialise either. The buffet was ok - but there was no option to order eggs/porridge/bespoke items from the kitchen - these were all in Bain Maries and overdone. Other hotels in Belfast of this standard offer this service.
Our plates were not cleared when we finished, the waiting staff were disinterested.
We didn't visit the spa as after such a terrible nights sleep, we gave up and went home. We put our complaints to the reception staff who said 'you should have phoned down we could have got someone to come up and turn the heating off' - WE SHOULDN'T HAVE
HAD TO!!! It was unlikely in the early hours of the morning I'm going to invite someone into our room to repair the heating.
Having spoken to our friends - this was not an isolated incident - we all had a poor nights sleep and struggled with the heat.
Next time we will choose another hotel that a) can control the room temperature b) can provide adequate service c) can deal with complaints effectively

This is not a 5 star hotel based on accommodation or service. Choose another hotel. Fitzwilliam or Merchant. You'll be happier. This was such a disappointment. I'm going to put this in writing to Hastings and will update this post with a response.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank DocsFerg
cullodenhotel, Manager at Culloden Estate & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Dear DocsFerg

With regards to your review of your experience in the Culloden Estate and Spa, I wish to thank you for taking the time to leave your opinion on tripadvisor.

I am genuinely disappointed that your experience of the Culloden was not as it should have been and for this I wholeheartedly apologise. We take great pride in providing professional, courteous and efficient customer service so to hear that we have fallen short is a cause for considerable concern.

I would like the opportunity to carrying out a comprehensive internal investigation into this incident but would require the dates and room number you stayed in.

The circumstances leading to your unsatisfactory visit to the Culloden Estate and Spa have not been, and will not be, tolerated. The standard of service provided to guests at Hastings Hotels, and in particular to those at the Culloden Estate and Spa, will always carry the expectation of excellence. Your account of events during your visit is not in line with those expectations and it certainly fails to meet our usual five star standards.

Please could I ask you to make contact with myself on 028 9042 1066 or via email dgm@cull.hastingshotels.com so we can take the necessary steps to resolve your poor experience and to ensure that these issues do not reoccur.

Neil Devlin
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 6 June 2012

I stayed with a group of five friends and family. We arrived and as we had to wait on the rest of our group comin decided to get a coffee at the bar area. This was impossible as a wedding party had takes all seats and the barman didn't seem interested in helping us. After 10 mins a table came free an the waiter took out order. Coffee was not worth the £8 it cost and although the shortbread was a nice touch was overpriced.

Rooms were excellent and pool area clean with this part of the hotel I cannot fault it.

Breakfast a disappointment and I have to say the premier inn have better. The sausages were undercooked and there were no beans. HP sauce was also not available. Small points I know but I expected much better. Twice. We had to get the waiters attention for fresh coffee.

Great hotel but I would not go back unless I got a deal and it was on a reduced rate. There are better hotels in Belfast and I feel the culloden lives off its reputation.

Maybe it's because I wore jeans, flip flops and didn't quite fit in to the stuffy surroundings but my jeans and flip flops are accepted anywhere else!!

• Stayed: June 2012

Dear ClairebearNI

Neil Devlin
Deputy General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Holywood
Rayanne House
#2 of 2 in Holywood
Golden Mile
The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast
Ballygally Castle
#1 of 1 in Ballygally
The Old Inn Crawfordsburn
#1 of 1 in Crawfordsburn

Been to Culloden Estate & Spa? Share your experiences!