“King and Queen for a Day”

Culloden Estate & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Holywood
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We have just returned from a wonderful overnight stay at the Culloden Estate & Spa. We were there to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday so were hoping for a real treat and this is exactly what we got.

We were shown to our room which was the Dunlop Suite.
This room has wonderful panoramic windows which provide the most stunning views over the Belfast Lough, which you can enjoy from the comfort of the sofa and armchairs provided. The bed is huge and very comfortable, the bathroom has a huge shower, bath, beautiful White Company toiletries, robes and slippers.

We ate in the Mitre restaurant and had an amazing table which provided stunning views of the gardens, lough, and beautiful sunset. My husband had the scallops with black pudding to start and I had the mushroom soup. Both were devine. The steak and lamb that we selected for our main course were cooked to perfection, and for dessert we had cheesecake and a selection of cheeses. The high quality of the food coupled with the wonderfully attentive and knowledgeable waiter service made this a night to remember.

In the morning we took the liberty of having breakfast sent to our room, and it arrived hot and was delicious.

I would recommend this hotel and we will certainly be returning in the near future.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
cullodenhotel, General Manager at Culloden Estate & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Dear GPJs

In response to your TripAdvisor review, I wish to thank you for taking the time to leave your comments for others.

I was delighted to learn that you had found the Culloden Estate and Spa to be “Wonderful”. Within the Hastings Hotels Group one of our vision and values is “Passionate commitment to excellent service” this is about making sure every guest has a very special experience, something which my team and I are committed to. We do not want to meet your expectations we want to exceed them every time.

I would like to thank you once again for your comments; I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Culloden Estate and Spa in the near future.

Mr Stephen Meldrum

Write a ReviewReviews (1,805)

Reviewed 31 August 2012

We were looking at venues for our wedding next year and decided to visit the Culloden as we had been to a couple of weddings there and had been very please with the overall service on the day. Upon arrival we were welcomed by friendly, helpful staff at the front desk. We were a bit early for our appointment so were shown through to the lounge and provided with tea and shortbread while we waited. The events manager that took us around the hotel that day was also very helpful. Everything was explained to us in great detail and we were taken on a tour of the hotel including the spa, restaurant, its functions rooms and the bridal suites. They were also able to offer advise on other external companies that would be able to help with other aspects of the wedding. The hotel itself is beautiful and the views are amazing. We have booked the venue for our wedding and are looking forward to the big day :-)

Dear EK168

I wish to thank you for taking the time to leave a review on TripAdvisor regarding your experience at the Culloden Estate and Spa.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your very kind words regarding the Culloden Hotel. I was delighted to learn you have chosen us to host your wedding day.

We look forward to working with you to create your dream wedding day.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

Very nice loking hotel inside and out. But for us, the food needs to be good at a hotel of that standard. Overcooked food, soggy chips, cold coffee, strange breakfast. Nice staff at bar but overworked at certain times.

A bit of a let down , Belfast a great city to visit. The people are great and so many things to see and do.

Great beds and rooms and all you need in room (no fridge but).

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear Irishsea_12

I wish to thank you for taking the time to leave your opinion on tripadvisor.

With regards to your review of your experience, my team and I would have welcomed the opportunity to have spoken to you on the evening of your visit regarding the points which you have detailed above.

At the Hastings Hotels Group we are passionate about food and believe that eating is one of life’s greatest pleasures. We embrace the use of carefully selected local and seasonal quality foods to enable our chefs to prepare and create the most delicious dishes in our kitchens.

I was shocked at your description of the food you received as we are regularly commended on the quality of the food. I will, however, take your comments on board and monitor this area closely over the coming months.

Stephen Meldrum
General Manger

Reviewed 28 August 2012

My best friend and myself decided to get away from the men and rightly treat ourselves to a wee day at the spa at the culloden and a treat it definitely was. On arrival we were welcomed by the warm staff at the spa and given slippers and dressing gowns. We were shown around the spa and taken to a beautifully decorated room where we could change and leave our stuff. We spent our afternoon before our treatment using the fabulous facilities at the spa, using the steam room, pool and jacuzzi; relaxing and having a great catch up. When it came close to our time for our facials we lay in the relaxation room, flicking through magazines and making use of the refreshments provided! Our beauticians came and got us at our scheduled time and took us to the our treatment rooms, which are gorgeous. We were taken through the treatment and given specific facials for our skin types, mine being an exfoliating facial. It was absolutely fabulous and I found myself falling asleep on more than one occasion. I have had other facials in the past but this was definitely the best. The facial lasted about 45 minutes and after we were both given leaflets and taken through the different products that were used . There was no pressure to buy anything but the beauticians were very good in giving tips for keeping skin bright and radiant. After we were taken to a different relaxation room with beds and new robes as ours had got wet from the pool. We were both lay and relaxed in the room: there was fresh fruit, water and herbal tea and we were told to help ourselves. Overall we had a brilliant relaxing treatment in a beautiful spa with excellent attentive staff. Would highly recommend a visit!! We are already planning our next treat day!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Dear LJS

Following your review of 28 August 2012, I am writing to express my thanks at your very kind comments; it is such a joy to receive a review of extreme praise.

I was delighted that you had rated your experince with us to be “absolutely fabulous”. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the Culloden Estate and Spa in the near future.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

A few months ago I entered in a "text in" competition in the Daily Mirror for a two night stay B&B for two in the Culloden Hotel and Spa. The winner would also win an evening meal for two and full use of the Gym and Spa. I didn't think anything of it and nearly keeled over when I got a phone call from a lovely lady from the Daily Mirror.

I had Won! And I got to go on my mini mid week break on Wednesday and Thursday evening, while my Mum and Non-Bio Dad looked after the little uns!

We checked in on Wednesday about 4pm. The Front desk reception workers were very quick and friendly. We arrived in our room and it was lovely! It had the usual facilities, bath with shower in the bathroom, trouser press, tea, coffee, TV and MASSIVE bed.

We had a few drinks in our room and got ready to head out for dinner. We had decided to go to a Pub called "The Dirty Duck Ale House". Its amazing. Here is their web page. The Hotel is right beside a train station and we simply got the train to Hollywood and then a 2 minute walk to the pub! The food (and beer) was amazing and it was a real treat not to have to wash and dry dishes after having food!

The next morning, after a hearty breakfast, I realised that we had not received one of the rubber duckies that the Hastings Hotel groups usually provide. Some of you may have read my sadness on Twitter. Hastings Hotel group AND the Culloden both heard my woes and within 30 mins of my tweet I was presented with these...

Not just a rubber duckie BUT two limited addition ones (Giants Causeway and Titanic). I was thrilled!

I also used the gym. Its was quite warm as there didn't seem to be any air con, but it made the refrigerated towels even more satisfying!

We then picked up our two little ladies and brought them to the Spa for a swim! They loved it! There were in the pool for an hour!

After we left them back at my parents, it was time to get ready for our posh dinner!

And on to the dinner!

Everyone go a complementary Salmon mousse with a potato bread crouton. The crouton was amazing. I did not try the mousse as I don't like fish but hubby said it was lush!

For Starter I had Pigeon. It was the first time I had ever tried anything "Gamey" and it wasn't for me.

For main I had a Steak. It was THE best Steak I have ever had. It melted in your mouth and was cooked to perfection.

And dessert I had a trio of strawberry desserts (a tart, shortbread and sorbet). Hubby had the white chocolate terrine....I ate about half of it because it was that good!

Our waiter was called Mike and his service throuh out the night was amazing. He was quick and efficient and answered all our questions about the food with ease and with knowledgeable facts. He really put me at ease as I would quite often feel out of place in "Fancy" places.

Once the food was eaten (clean plates all around) and the wine was drunk, The next stop was our room for some more pre chilled wine (yes the staff bought us up an ice bucket). When we arrived back at our room there was a lovely little surprise! Turn down service.

The blankets were turned down and a vanilla fudge was left at the side of the bed! It was so so lovely! What did I do at the end of a romantic posh night? Wine in a tumbler!

The next morning after breakfast, it was another session in the gym, this time for a spin class. Back to the room to pack up and then to the spa. I had left my Dressing Gown in the spa the day before. But a quick call to house keeping and in about 2/3 minutes I had a new one delivered to me.

We asked if we could leave later than the 11am check out as we wanted to relax in the spa. It was of course not a problem and we checked out at 12noon.

I have to say my stay was amazing. So relaxing and full of fabulous surprises. All the staff we were in contact with were very friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend the Culloden Hotel to anyone wanting a mini break, weather your from the area of further a field! I is so close to public transport and a great location.

for pictures etc see http://www.fashionfloozy.co.uk/2012/08/my-two-nights-of-luxury.html

Dear Christine D

I was delighted to learn that you had found the Culloden Estate & Spa to be “Amazing”. Within the Hastings Hotels Group one of our vision and values is “Passionate commitment to excellent service” this is about making sure every guest has a very special experience, something which my team and I are committed to. We do not want to meet your expectations we want to exceed them every time.

I would like to thank you once again for your comments; we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Culloden Estate and Spa in the near future.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

Stayed with my husband for a one night stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We have stayed here before on another occasion. It's a lovely comfortable hotel with very friendly and helpful staff.

The rate we paid was on the hotel website and exceptionally good value for dinner, bed and breakfast. However for guests paying a higher rate they may come away a little disappointed. The corridors around the guest bedrooms were needing cleared of trays and rubbish consistently.

The hotel bar is very cosy and we had a bite to eat there after checking in and waiting for our room. We had an executive bedroom which was exceptionally comfortable. Toiletries were very sparse in the room as were towels, this is probably just a sign of the times.

We spent the afternoon in the spa - we used the pool, steam room and jacuzzi. The area is relatively small but very clean. We also had a treatment each, the therapist was fabulous and we both thought the treatments (facial & massage) to be excellent.

Dinner in the restaurant could not be faulted, both food and service was perfect. The atmosphere was slightly lacking but that was due to the fact that there were not many in for dinner and the music played was pretty dire!

The breakfast was something I had been looking forward to as it was really exceptional on our previous visit, however this time, although good it was nothing above a standard hotel breakfast.

We had a great stay and would definitely return, I just think the hotel needs to go above and beyond with little touches to truly deserve its 5 star status.

Room Tip: Hotel near a main road. Ask for room not facing road.