“Fantastic Hotel, Facilities & Service”

Culloden Estate & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Holywood
“Fantastic Hotel, Facilities & Service”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the past two weeks. First trip was with my elderly parent and the most recent trip was with my partner.

On the first trip, I can describe our trip in one word 'exceptional' in terms of the quality surroundings, well presented room and the all-round high levels of customer service. The service was consistent from the moment we walked through the door in terms of being met by the concierge and the pleasant staff who checked us in at reception. My parent has particular medical needs and felt very comfortable at the hotel as these had been catered for in full with regards to the type and location of the room (close to the lift). In the restaurant, again we had a very pleasant experience with the menu being tailored to our specific needs and the very special attention to detail by the staff on duty - namely Ryan and Rachel. A special mention to Ryan who was extremely attentive and a real ambassador for genuine customer service within the hotel. We both thoroughly enjoyed our experience at the hotel and will most definitely return very soon.

The most recent trip was with my partner. We arrived and were met with the usual great customer service at reception. The receptionist remembered me from my previous stay and could not have been more helpful in terms of making arrangements to book our dinner in the restaurant. We arrived for dinner and were seated in the lounge and given menus. the restaurant manager - Peter - took our order and soon afterwards, we were shown to our table. We were served by Ryan who also remembered me from my earlier stay and his high level of customer service was very consistent. Our meal was very nice and the entire dining experience was extremely pleasant. Breakfast then following morning was very good and despite it being a weekend morning, we were seated and served immediately. Again, the restaurant was well staffed and customer service was high on the agenda.

All in all, my two recent stays were fabulous and I will be returning very very soon.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Craigavon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Excellent place to stay and relax!
Excellent customer service all round & a free upgrade to a state suite really made my stay special!
Room service and room amenities were excellent! Gas fire, large bathtub and shower and a dinning table in the suite! Absolutely epic room!

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SSloan650
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel as an anniversary treat for me and my husband. When we arrived we were given a double "suite" called the mull which on first glance was ok but when we further inspected tables were all stained, the view from the window was wires running along the roof and the noise from some boiler kept me awake. The pillows were all lumpy. Most of the staff were very nice but the price of two large glasses of wine cost us £16, I could have bought two lovely bottles of wine for that. Dinner was nice although we were originally going to be plonked on seats that was more in line with an old bar seat and I had to say I wasn't happy being offered this table. I have stayed in a few hotels in my time, some three star etc and I have to say they were a lot better than this five star. The gym equipment was old and the jacuzzi was cold. I definitely would not stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kittey O
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Had a lovely stay for a friend's wedding recently. The venue was beautiful for a wedding and we all had a fantastic time. Everyone at the Culloden was very friendly and helpful. Loved the pool and spa area.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I stayed at the Culloden for business on the 19th September, my company held an event at the venue which required me to stay overnight and assist in organising the event.

The 2 gentlemen who ran the event from the Culloden - Philip & Ken were nothing short of awesome. They were friendly, helpful and polite - bending over backwards to make the event a success.

The hotel itself is beautiful with roaring open fires, the food was the best I've had in a hotel (HIGHLY recommend the fish chowder) and the views are beautiful. The spa and gym are up to date and a pleasure to use.

After a year of my partner undergoing chemotherapy and not being able to travel abroad this is the hotel I've chosen to take him for a weekend away too in January. I cannot wait to return to the Culloden for our stay and hope it's as good as last time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
lisburn
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed in the Culloden 2 years ago and the difference between then and now is significant.

The room we were allocated had a view of the back of a building, the duvet was too thick and there were marks on the glass surfaces plus the net curtains needed to be ironed or replaced.

On the plus side breakfast was very enjoyable and the grounds to the hotel are well kept.

On our first visit we had "Hasting Ducks" in the bathroom plus a turndown service at night, non of which we had on this stay.

Not up to the usual standards.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We came for a two night stay for a friend's wedding. The wedding itself was great, room nicely presented, food good and staff very helpful. Our bedroom was disappointing. It was probably a very nice room when it was done but has been in need of a refit for about 10 years. Basic maintenance was neglected - no light bulb in the lamp and no kettle on the tea tray. Room was also inexplicably boiling hot, despite the radiator being off. No air con.
Had lunch the day after the wedding in the crosier lounge, which was very disappointing. There were no other tables ordering food, but it still took them more than 30 minutes to prepare some soups and sandwiches, but when it eventually came it was wrong and had to go back.

This was clearly a very nice hotel 20 years ago, but risks sliding into total irrelevance unless they get things sorted out.

• Stayed October 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holywood
Rayanne House
The Old Inn Crawfordsburn
#1 of 1 in Crawfordsburn
Golden Mile
Europa Hotel - Belfast

Been to Culloden Estate & Spa? Share your experiences!