We arrived at the hotel and the meet and greet by the doormen and reception was fantastic. We were then shown to our room.
The room was 204 and half the rooms on this floor will have a view of the dirty mouldy wall of the spa! This was my first disappointment as I was hoping for a view of something not a dirty slabbed path and the spa wall and walk through.The room was very clean and had good facilities. Why they had the theme tune to Jurassic park playing when you enter the room I will never now! The room is dated in its decor and granted the main building is old but the decor can still be tasteful. Dreadful gold squared wall paper, carpet just as bad, no thermostat to control radiator so have to move tub chairs to get to controls on radiator, the ceiling in bathroom redecorated as alot of paint splattered over the mirrors, the MDF below sink water damaged and poorly painted over, at night had to use a pillow to block the light from coming under the door! The price of the room at £150 and the hotel has such good ratings I would expect the hotel to special.
The stuart suite has terrible carpet which gives it the feel of a cheap casino
In general the service was very good the evening meal was beautiful and the wine selection very good....Some of the drinks are very overpriced as if paying that price at other hotels you would have table service....Maybe the porter can help with bags and not point you to the room when your carrying 4 bags between 2 people!?
Breakfast was very good but having to wait for eggs and this was not only me many guests complained waiting for the buffet to be replenished....
Checkout was a little chaotic as waited 20mins to be able to pay and leave.
On the whole a good hotel but for me at the cost of the room, food and drink it should be doing more for the guest.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Standing high on the wooded slopes of the Holywood hills, overlooking Belfast Lough, is the magnificent Culloden Estate and Spa, one of the most prestigious 5 star hotels in Northern Ireland.Originally built as an official palace for the Bishops of Down, the Culloden stands in 12 acres of beautiful gardens and is 5 miles from Belfast City Centre. The exclusive Spa offers health and leisure facilities, and a full range of ESPA spa therapies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Superbreak UK, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Ebookers, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Culloden Estate & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Culloden Estate And Spa
- Culloden Estate Hotel Holywood
- Culloden Hotel
- Culloden Estate Holywood
- Culloden Estate & Spa Holywood, Northern Ireland