“Good but not to my liking............”

Culloden Estate & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Holywood
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We arrived at the hotel and the meet and greet by the doormen and reception was fantastic. We were then shown to our room.
The room was 204 and half the rooms on this floor will have a view of the dirty mouldy wall of the spa! This was my first disappointment as I was hoping for a view of something not a dirty slabbed path and the spa wall and walk through.The room was very clean and had good facilities. Why they had the theme tune to Jurassic park playing when you enter the room I will never now! The room is dated in its decor and granted the main building is old but the decor can still be tasteful. Dreadful gold squared wall paper, carpet just as bad, no thermostat to control radiator so have to move tub chairs to get to controls on radiator, the ceiling in bathroom redecorated as alot of paint splattered over the mirrors, the MDF below sink water damaged and poorly painted over, at night had to use a pillow to block the light from coming under the door! The price of the room at £150 and the hotel has such good ratings I would expect the hotel to special.
The stuart suite has terrible carpet which gives it the feel of a cheap casino
In general the service was very good the evening meal was beautiful and the wine selection very good....Some of the drinks are very overpriced as if paying that price at other hotels you would have table service....Maybe the porter can help with bags and not point you to the room when your carrying 4 bags between 2 people!?
Breakfast was very good but having to wait for eggs and this was not only me many guests complained waiting for the buffet to be replenished....

Checkout was a little chaotic as waited 20mins to be able to pay and leave.

On the whole a good hotel but for me at the cost of the room, food and drink it should be doing more for the guest.

Room Tip: get a room with a view
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Visited the hotel recently with my sister and had high expectations, having read other reviews. The staff were excellent when I was booking and we were upgraded on checked-in. The room was nice, very clean but was unfortunately made up as a double when I requested a twin.

The porter advised that this would not be a problem and kindly offered to change our dinner reservation from the inn to the main restaurant and arrange to have the room rearranged during dinner. We decided to decline the offer to change to the main restaurant and the very helpful porter offered to drive us to the inn which is a few minutes from the main hotel.

Then the problems began. The very helpful porter, Chris seemed to get amnesia. he didnt seem to recognise us at all. We waited patiently for our ride ( my sis was on crutches so walking was not an option) but our very helpful porter was suddenly very busy being very helpful to other guests. We waited and waited and waited. We opted to change to the main restaurant instead. Then we waited and waited outside the restaurant at a dirty table. We got menus on asking and waited some more still outside the restaurant, still at the dirty table. Eventually we were shown to our table on asking again. The meal was very good as was the service. One small gripe about the bread. Irwin's soda bread. Really. It is local but hardly what you'd expect in a good restaurant.

We happily retired to our room, passing the still-dirty table along the way, to find the bed as we left it. I called reception and was advised that they would call back. We waited. Eventually we were moved to a duplex family room down the corridor. The room was fine and the beds were very comfy. During the night however I was wakened by a low sounding alarm. It persisted for some time but I eventually fell back to sleep.

Breakfast was the usual buffet and ok. I ordered soft poached eggs and received 2 watery hard eggs. Check-out was rather earlier than I think is reasonable. 11am feels a little inhospitable.

Checkout was fine and the manager approached us to apologise for the room issue and asked us to contact him regarding any staff training issues or should we wish to stay in the future. In a nutshell. 5 star hotel in a 5 star location with 3 star service. Such a pity.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank siobhan m
Reviewed 15 November 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure to stay for one night at the Culloden Estate and Spa
From the moment we arrived we were blown away by the quality of service we received.
After checking in to our lovely room we went to the Spa for treatments. What a great Spa experience with a beautiful relaxing atmosphere. Sports massage, Indian head massage and Reflexology were expertly given by Catherine and Natasha. After a couple of glasses of Prosecco we ate in the Mitre restaurant. A top class dining experience!
Goats cheese Avocado salad, Squid, Venison and Toffee Sundae were a gastronomic delight while breakfast the next morning was of the same high standard Thank you to Kirsty, Amy and Gary for making the experience so special!! See you again soon!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We stayed at the Culloden for a couple of nights as my husband was in Belfast on business.

We had dinner in the main restaurant the first night. The food was pretty average. However the breakfasts are fantastic. A wonderful choice on the buffet and cooked breakfasts to die for.

There's a really nice pub in the grounds and we will certainly try the food there next time.

The spa is nicely appointed and there is an excellent gym. I had some wonderful treatments with Abby, who is superb. Food in the spa is pretty average.

Our room was very spacious and comfortable. The hotel itself is beautifully decorated; opulent but welcoming. The grounds are lovely and the view from the main dining room is glorious.

A lovely hotel and I shall certainly return.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I have been to two weddings and a formal at the Culloden and so knew how beautiful it is...However is was so surprised and absolutely delighted by how good my spa weekend was here. I had high expectations and was not disappointed. I got a spa package for my birthday (lucky me) the atmosphere was a joy. Luxurious and calm surroundings. Dinner in the Mitre restaurant was lovely, and drinks after in the Crozier lounge where a live jazz band were playing (it was a Saturday) was special.

Being slightly unforgiving the bedrooms are nothing special but clean, comfortable and a good size. Breakfast was a bit disappointing, we were the first to arrive at 8:30 and as it was a buffet the cooked breakfast was not fresh. however a great continental selection.

Overall we had a brilliant stay, service was 5 star and I would visit again for dinner or the spa as these were the highlights for me.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My first time at the Culloden hotel for a meal and I have to say I would defiantly go back!! the food was outstanding I would not fault it at all. Fantastic service made me feel extremely welcome. special regards to Kirsty and Robert who made my night more relaxing and enjoyable. And to top the experience off the view was unbelievable.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Having left the kids with relatives for a couple of nights break away we were looking forward to our stay.
As the car pulled up to the door the concierge were out straight away and took our luggage to reception for us. We checked in and found we had been given an upgrade to the Nevis suite. When we got to our room we were very pleased with what we saw. It was lovely and spacious, with a seated area, bedroom and en-suite.
After sorting out our bags in the room we went down into the crozier lounge and enjoyed a couple of drinks. Staff were helpful and polite.
On our first nights stay we ate in the Mitre restaurant within the hotel. It was a fine dining experience. We looked after by Ryan and others who were courteous. The menu was known by staff with great knowledge. Food was lovely. Relaxing atmosphere and service was excellent throughout the night.
On the second night we ate in the Cultra Inn. Again the food and service was excellent and reasonably priced.
Breakfast had a great selection. Homemade breads especially the Guinness Wholegrain. Wide variety on the continental (cereals, breads, fruit). Full Irish breakfast was lovely, only thing to be said is there is no signage saying about asking the staff for beans. Tea and toast is got to you by your food server. An added bonus to our first mornings breakfast was spotting a celebrity who was sitting behind us.
Overall had a great experience here and will be back again!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holywood
Golden Mile
The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast
The Old Inn Crawfordsburn
#1 of 1 in Crawfordsburn
Rayanne House
#2 of 2 in Holywood
Golden Mile
Europa Hotel - Belfast

Been to Culloden Estate & Spa? Share your experiences!