“I expected more”

Culloden Estate & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Holywood
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

I attended a wedding in the Culloden in January 2014. Of course with the reputation of the Culloden I expected great things & was somewhat disappointed.
The exterior & grounds of the hotel are beautiful. Perfect for wedding photos. Parts of the interior however let the hotel down. As it was a very wet day a lot of the photos were taken inside in the room with the staircase. To get there we had to walk through badly maintained corridors & rooms & it was disappointing.
The service was fair but nothing special.
The food was disappointing to be perfectly honest. The children were forced to wait until 7.30 for their meal to be served - at the same time as the adult mains so after starter & sorbet with lengthy pauses. At best the food was average, not what I would have expected from a 5* hotel.
I would guess it is much better if you were staying overnight & having a meal in the restaurant but I wasn't impressed that they have clearly cut corners to make weddings as profitable as possible.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank mrscurrie27
There are newer reviews for Culloden Estate & Spa

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Just had a wonderful dinner and overnight stay with my husband in this fantastic hotel. The Mitre restaurant is stunning as was the food, the parfait and the pork belly especially amazing. The staff were fantastic, so friendy, attentive and professional, looking forward to our next stay already.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mandy M
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Just enjoyed a very brief stay whilst hosting a Corporate breakfast for 40 movers and shakers in Northern Ireland. The stay was superb. Great rooms, great warm friendly service and good food.

A special thanks to Lynn Beggs and her team - Rebecca, Nicole, Michael and Gemma, for working tirelessly throughout the morning to ensure that our event went smoothly. Every attendee that I met as they left complimented the event and also the attentiveness of the staff. Great job Guys, and thank you. Very much appreciated.

We will be coming back in the future.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed my stay here. Rooms are amazing. Service is great. Breakfast is soooo good! Had a 4 course meal in the mitre restaurant - very good. The only downside is the spa - not much to do only a sauna, hot tub and swimming pool. Galgorms spa definitely beats it! The other downside is when we were waiting to checkout the line was quite big and had to wait around 20 minutes to get served. But apart from that highly recommended!!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Themalojancollecter
Reviewed 2 April 2014

The property is delightful, beautifully landscaped grounds set on a rolling hillside sloping towards a lake. The main hotel sits at the top of the slope with the restaurant and lounge areas with the best vistas. The owners have taken great care to maintain the character and ambiance of the original stone building. A charming building at the lower part of the slope houses what looked like a delightful restaurant - my one night stay did not permit me to try it out. The room was warm, the bed was comfortable, and had all the necessary amenities. Throughout my short stay, the staff were professional but warm and friendly.

This hotel is one of those gems that, once discovered, you will not be in want of another.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This review is long overdue, my fiance and I stayed here in December last - time slipped quickly away between this and then but I can't not pass on how amazing we found Culloden.

I had read some reviews here before we went, and I must admit I was not sure what to expect as the reviews were very mixed, but I can honestly say we thoroughly enjoyed our break away here. All staff we encountered throughout our stay were both courteous and helpful. We used the pool the evening we arrived and my partner used the spa the following day, he truly enjoyed his massage.

Dinner was beautiful, the dining room boasts stunning views. On return to our bedroom the turn down staff had been in and had left us a lovely surprise of mince pies and bottled water.

Unfortunately I took ill during the night (absolutely nothing to do with the hotel or the wonderful meals I had enjoyed there) and the night staff on duty were so so helpful to get the doctor out - I believe it was 3am when the doctor was called. The following day I was unable to go out and enjoy Belfast as we had planned, so my partner went out on his own and accommodation staff simply advised that he put the "do not disturb" sign up and I would not be bothered all day. I was left sleep peacefully all day and I was so grateful for that.

It was the following day again before I managed to get up, when I accompanied my partner to breakfast - which looked amazing and I am assured tasted amazing - all members of staff that I met were so polite in inquiring as to how I was feeling and commented that it was nice to see me up and about.

Unfortunately we were leaving that day so I did not get to see as much of the hotel or the area as I had planned, but we will definitely be returning in the hope that I can fully enjoy the stay this time.

The Culloden is located in a stunning area and has truly amazing staff - true luxury !

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Food was not as good as I expected it to be. The room was cold but staff did provide us with an extra heater. Rom was quite noisy and seemed like it was cheaply built. Was not informed that we had use of spa. Should take some tips from eth Galgorm on how guests are informed of hotel amenities at check-in.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holywood
Rayanne House
#2 of 2 in Holywood
The Old Inn Crawfordsburn
#1 of 1 in Crawfordsburn
Golden Mile
The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast
Stormont Hotel
#11 of 44 in Belfast

Been to Culloden Estate & Spa? Share your experiences!