“Excellent afternoon tea surprise”

Culloden Estate & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Holywood
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My friend took me to culloden for a surprise afternoon tea. It was brilliant from the welcome to the service. It was just fab. Everything was just perfect. The staff were so friendly and attentive. We were given a beautiful table overlooking the lough and gardens.

I will definitely be back. Gorgeous for a wee special treat for someone.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
cullodenhotel, General Manager at Culloden Estate & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Seaneenmcg

I would like to take this opportunity to express my thanks for your very kind comments about the Culloden Estate and Spa.

I am delighted to learn that you found our staff to be “friendly and attentive” and that everything about your Afternoon Tea was “perfect”. I have passed your comments on to the restaurant team, who are extremely appreciative of such positive feedback.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Culloden Estate and Spa in the near future.

Mr James McGinn

Write a ReviewReviews (1,814)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Having prepaid for a state suite as a wedding gift for my brother in law 3 months ago; the hotel not only "lost the prepayment;" but after paying for this a second time the day before the wedding, the booking was again confirmed as fine (including on the day of the wedding when the luggage was dropped off).

We later discovered they went on to sell the room to another guest on the wedding night, despite the fact we had paid in full, leaving the groom, bride (in dress and holding a crying baby) at 0100 in the morning, with the only option being to get a taxi home. They ruined the wedding event and have left a very happy family distraught. The bridge and groom left their reception early to enjoy this experience at the hotel!
PLEASE DO NOT BOOK this hotel - absolute incompetence and a rude, unhelpful team.
The fact that they call themselves a 5* establishment is a joke and they should not be classified in this way. The service is far below the required standard.
When we arrived in person the next morning to meet with the duty manager (who claimed the general manager was in a yoga class); they could not even get a tea and coffee order right. If you are looking for a top class 5* offer in Northern Ireland, please let me stress again to not book Culloden. The service is not much better than staying at a hostel. If you want to book a 5* hotel / wedding, you will receive a different league of standard, experience and service at either Galgorm Manor in Antrim or The Merchant Hotel in Belfast. Absolutely unforgettable for all the wrong reasons.....

The GM later conceded they completely got this wrong, and CCTV did indeed show a member of staff removing luggage from the suite we had booked? The GM conceded he has no idea why this could or should have happened. Beyond words....... Terrible

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel. There is clearly no guarantee of getting one here, even if you have paid f...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
20  Thank PKeene
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We were on a golf trip to royal Belfast- very adjacent to the hotel. The hotel is on a superb site just past Holywood. Overlooking Belfast lough. Stunning views. The hotel is very well appointed and has lots of space- a fine dining room and a large well appointed lounge bar. The bedrooms are spacious with fine beds and a large flat screen tv. My only complaint would be that for £120 for b an b a shower in a bath is not good enough. Also the shower was lacking in power- very old shower rose and the water was not hot enough or at least I could not adjust the control to give me a hot shower. Otherwise this is a very good hotel that I would visit again and I would recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank keithcairns

Dear Keith Cairns

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to the Culloden Estate and Spa. I am pleased that you found your room to be “spacious with fine beds” however I am disappointed to learn that the shower was not to your preference. We do have executive rooms with a separate shower and bath available, had we been aware of your preference then we could have allocated your room appropriately.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Culloden Hotel in the near future and please do advise our reservation agents of your preferences when making your booking.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We have been staying her with work for many Years now, the staff are excellent, rooms are very nice and the service is always good, we have eaten in both restaurants and have found both of them very good. The breakfast is also excellent.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
cullodenhotel, General Manager at Culloden Estate & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear yorkscouple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your very kind comments regarding the Culloden Estate and Spa. I am delighted to know that all aspects of the hotel exceed your expectations each time you stay with us.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Culloden Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Took our family of five adults to The Culloden. What a wonderful experience.
We had two rooms. One double which was very roomy and a room with three single beds which was great. The beds were very very comfortable.
Restaurant meals were lovely and the breakfast was terrific. Local whiskey to put on your porridge!!!!
We were also delighted to find a 'pub' on the property which was great for an informal dinner instead of using the main dining room.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Sharon M

I was delighted to learn that you had such a “wonderful experience” when you and your family came to stay with us.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Dear Sir Hastings,

Did you read my review of the Stormont? Your sister hotel? Why oh why can't you invest your sister hotel like you do the Culloden??

This hotel is on primo property located the south coast of the Belfast Lough, with spectacular and serene views. Built around an older, castle-like home, the hotel is elegant without being stuffy.

I have been to this hotel, I think, five times, always on business. I have usually been gifted one of their suites and oh my, they are spectacular and each one unique. This visit I am in an upgraded king room in the "new wing."

The bathroom: I'm in love. GIGANTIC tub for soaking and separate shower. Delicious king bed and spacious room. I loved my suites, but if you can get a room in the new wing, you'll feel like it was a suite.

Look, Sir Hastings, a hotel is a lot about the room, but it is so much about the environment. The rooms at the Culloden are lovely. The staff, superb. Craig of Banqueting, we have worked together many times and you are funny, respectful, collegial, professional...all that rolled into one.

Karen, you work so hard and want no credit. You deserve more than just credit.

Sir Hastings,

Staff is so important. No, not "help," I mean staff. I mean people that make your millions. Reward them so you can make millions more.

The Culloden is a great experience. Thank you, staff, for making it so.

Room Tip: You must have a room in the "New wing" or one of their suites. The old wing is okay, but...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DAVID C
cullodenhotel, General Manager at Culloden Estate & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear David C

I was delighted to learn that you found the staff to be “superb” and that you were extremely comfortable in your room. It is always lovely to receive such positive feedback, especially when there are personal mentions for certain members of staff. I am pleased that our team has always made you feel welcome and special when staying with us, this is how every guest should feel in a five star hotel.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

My husband and I were attending a family wedding and booked an executive room (717) for an overnight stay. First impressions were quite good. Friendly and courteous staff at check in and concierge service. On checking around the room I was a little disappointed re it's tired looking state. The room and bathroom were very spacious but it lacked atmosphere and felt sparse, particularly the bathroom. The tiles and grout around the somewhat limp power in the shower seriously needs re-grouting. Complimentary toiletries were quite nice and the towels were definitely luxurious. The room itself looked onto the courtyard at the front of the Stuart Suite. The bed linen was of a high quality and the bed very comfy. There was no fridge which I do like in a room. Bottles of water were complimentary but were warm to drink. The coffee tray was well stocked. Some of the bulbs in the ceiling lights weren't working and need replaced. The highlight was def the breakfast. Locally produced food which was most def of a good high quality. Lots of breakfast room staff but didn't seem to know what to do re clearing tables quickly and efficiently. Overall, we had a very pleasant stay but I didn't give it 5 stars. A bit more attention to detail is needed. A tip to housekeeping and maintenance staff ... Have a sit down on the loo and look around, you'll notice much more than doing a 360 degree visual check.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear WEEROSIE

I wish to thank you for taking the time to leave your opinion on tripadvisor.

I was pleased to learn that you found our staff to be "friendly and courteous" and our locally produced food to be of a "good high quality".

However, I was disappointed to learn that some aspects of the hotel did not meet and exceed your standards. I would like to thank you for taking the time to draw these matters to our attention, which have been since brought up with the Housekeeping team.

We value all feedback, be it positive or negative. It is only through such feedback that we may rectify any shortcomings and prevent their re-occurence.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Culloden Hotel in the near future.

Mr James McGinn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Holywood
Rayanne House
Golden Mile
Europa Hotel - Belfast
Stormont Hotel
#11 of 47 in Belfast

Been to Culloden Estate & Spa? Share your experiences!