“emerald gem”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Holywood
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“emerald gem”
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Little hotel with large standards. Period style hotel with nice individually styled rooms. Breakfast menu is beyond compare and Dinner was equally impressive. I genuinely am looking forward to working in Belfast again just so I can stay at this hotel. Absolutely stunning hotel experience.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I have been around Ireland now for 12 days. This B&B has been fantastic! Paul, the deskman, is in control and a great conversant. The accommodation is already 5-star in my mind. If traveling to Belfast or Holywood, I can think of no better place to stay. The Rayanne House will forever be my go-to B&B in Northern Ireland.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank R0BSIMPSON
Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I stayed here for two nights B&B. It is one of the loveliest places I have ever stayed. The decor, furnishings, grounds, breakfast, service and attention to detail are all outstanding.
I had prune soufflé with green fig puree for breakfast - and that was only the starter. Next morning I had warm spiced compote of figs, prunes, apricots and apple, with yoghurt, followed by scrambled eggs with crabmeat, cream cheese and chives. But if you don't fancy any of that, there is a whole page of other choices for breakfast. And the price was amazingly low considering the quality of the facilities.
My room was beautifully furnished and the enormous en suite bathroom under the eaves had wood cladding, a vase of poppies and a wicker armchair. Much more interesting than your conventional hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank dene2
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Superb staff and wonderful food, but so Rayanne is so jam packed with fussy faux- victoriana and kitsch that it feels cramped. There was a single and a double bed in our room- it would have been so much nicer to have had the space instead of an unwanted spare bed - and to have been able to reach the window easily. As it was, the spare bed and a chair made it difficult I booked a double OR twin, with balcony, a couple of months in advance.We got a triple & no balcony.
We were part of a wedding party, all the hotel guests (apart from one room ) being from our party. We were told that there would be a discount for wedding guests staying, but this wasn't offered when we settled our bill- we were charged the full advertised rate.
But the dinner was perfection, and the service superb. Breakfast wonderful IF you stick to the first six or so choices- the grill does not include the 'special' bacon or prune and pork sausages, or buttered and baked potato bread that appear in the first half of the menu, and which I was expecting,,,,, just standard 'Ulster-Fry' rashers, sausages, and farls, but rather hard and dry, being grilled. So that was a disappointment that could so easily have been avoided with a little more information or clarity in the writing of the menu.
I'd love to eat there again, and have no reservations in recommending the food
and it's service, but the room was overpriced and disappointing. And what are those hideous 70's patchwork dolls on the room doors all about?

• Stayed May 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Rayanne House is an exceptional establishment, outstanding period decor and furnishings, very friendly and helpful staff and in easy walking distance of the local village. It is in close proximity to the Harland & Wolff shipyards, Belfast Titanic and the Ulster Transport and Folk museum.
The 'Titanic Dinner' experience is not to be missed. Pre dinner drinks are served in the period drawing room followed by a 9 course menu served in the period dining room with great attention paid to the dining detail by Bernie, Connor and staff.
This experience provided much lustre to our ancestral history tour of Holywood.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I have been travelling for in excess of 30 years and never have I stayed in a more welcoming Guest House. 7 of us needed comfortable lodging for our 12 night stay in Belfast for the World Irish dancing championships and this was the perfect place. Comfortable rooms, comfortable beds and all very classy. The owners Bernie & Conor were absolutely delightful as was each and every staff member - a special mention of Charles (Conor's brother). The breakfasts are AMAZING - the gourmet selections are to die for. We also had the "Titanic dinner" and every last detail for each course was impeccable. The three teenagers were thrilled to learn that there was complimentary wifi so that they could stay in touch with friends back home in Australia via facebook. Thank you to all at Rayanne House for making our stay in Holywood (which is a beautiful quaint town) very memorable. We miss you all already! Your Irish dancing friends.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Christine W
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Rayanne House is a name that I have heard bandied about in the tourism circles in which I used to work (I was heavily involved in the creation and delivery of Titanic Belfast!) as the epitome of quality on every front. So, as a special 'thank-you' to my wife for her fortitude during my long period of illness I thought I would treat her to a one-night stay in Rayanne House and so we would together taste the 'Rayanne experience' of this 5-star, award winning guest house.

There is no doubt that the house itself is stunning; a period dwelling which retains much of the character of it's time, both in the downstairs decor and furnishings (e.g. restful sitting rooms, art deco collections and period ornaments) and in the stairways and landings, and it was delightful to sit in one of the residents' lounges and read and enjoy a glass of wine from crystal glasses!

We were given Room 6, which was at the front of the house and had views of Belfast Lough over the other houses' roof tops. The general quality of the room was very good, bordering on excellent, with complementary port and chocolates on arrival, bottled water and quality glassware in the room and for those who care to know, they also had left 3 bottles of red wine, with a cork screw and glasses, in the room for use (you had to pay, off course!) together with their house wine list. The bathroom was modern with an array of personal items made available, although if you don't like Lynx you may have a problem. Perhaps Molton & Brown products would have been more fitting?

We were really looking forward to the "...pleasures of superior cuisine..." and the gourmet breakfast. To ensure that your breakfast experience is optimal you have to order at night (reminiscent of a hospital menu!) for the morning. Alongside the normal breakfast fayre of beverages, breads, preserves and fresh juice, you order your starters and mains. There are some very extraordinary dishes available, and we choose the home-made prune soufflé on a purée of green figs (Pamela, my wife) and the compote of warmed spicy breakfast fruits (spiced with dark rum, brandy, cinnamon and cloves). These were the most exquisite breakfast dishes we had ever tasted, and were truly gourmet! However the mains were not so gourmet! My wife had the 'Rayanne Sausages' (organic pork and prune), which looked terribly thin, served with potato waffles (which looked very like the Captain Bird's Eye version we used to cook for our children) drizzled with a Dijon mustard, cider and honey sauce (which was to die for!). I ordered the traditional Irish grilled breakfast (nothing fried!), which was certainly not gourmet, unless you count the cross symbol carved into the tomato! To be honest, we were disappointed with the breakfast, as apart from the excellent starters we could have had juice, toast, tea, coffee, an grill (or fry) and potato waffles at home!

Another feature of our stay that didn't add to our enjoyment was that while the staff are exceptionally professional, they are cold and slightly aloof (except for Conor, the owner, who stopped to chat with us for a few minutes) and all the staff we saw were male! This made for a more cold atmosphere than we had expected.

Other small issues were the chandelier in our room had mixed bulbs (clear and opaque), and the shower head kept slipping down the shower pole, which meant you had to shower on your knees to get your hair wet!

The $64,000 question is would I be back? To stay ... perhaps not; that's why I have called this review a 'one-night' stand in Holywood!. But I will be back to sample their Titanic menu, and I hope that after that I can improve my ratings.

Room Tip: Room 6, at the front of the house was good.