“Why would anyone stay at a chain hotel”
Review of Rayanne House

Rayanne House
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Holywood
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I have stayed here with my wife on two separate occasions now and cannot recommend this establishment highly enough. The rooms are perfect for a boutique guesthouse and the service is higher than that which you would expect were you paying 2 or 3 times the price.

On our second visit we had our 12 month old daughter with us and on explaining this to Connor over the phone he ensured that we had a room large enough to accommodate our travel cot.

Connor and Bernie are great hosts and have reached the happy medium of always being around should you require them yet never leaving you feeling awkward despite it being their home. I can vouch for the excellent breakfasts too as well as the great views over Belfast Lough.

The location is perfect for easy access to the City of Belfast as well as the delightful suburb of Holywood with its cafes, bars and classy restaurants and the wider tourist draws that Northern Ireland has to offer.

I have personally told all my friends about Rayanne House and hope that this review will also unlock this treat to many others.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are done to a different style. I would say that if you are a golf fan then just let...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I have just had my 50th birthday weekend with 14 friends at Rayanne house. Connor and Bernie where excellent hosts along with their small team of staff. All the rooms are excellent but I can say room 14 is really lovely with fantastic views and you can watch the ships go up and down the lough whist lying in your bed.
On the Saturday my Birthday meal was the Titanic dinner which is absolutely outstanding. It is 9 courses long and the food was excellent and the portions are terrific. The service through out the meal was very good. All 16 of us thought the evening was the highlight of the weekend.
If you want to stay in a fantastic well situated small family run hotel with excellent service then this is the place for you. Thanks to Connor and Bernie for making my weekend so special.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Was given a night at Rayanne House by my Better Half and I thoroughly enjoyed what was a surprise gift. She had booked 'The Rory McIllroy Room' and I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I entered the room. Desktop featured memorabilia from his US Open triumph in 2011, amongst other things like scorecard and pitch mark repairer from his home club, Holywood Golf Club, just down the road. The bathroom was something else, and included a grass/fairway designed floor, complete with a bunker near the window, 'golf ball' tiles and one of Rory's formed wedges, which could be used as a shower or hand rail. Amazing !!! The bedside lights were also fantastic; I might even email them and ask them where they're from.
All in all, this was an amazing experience topped off by the fact that it was a total surprise. It would be an amazing gift for any golf or Rory fan, as it was for myself.
Staff were well trained, thorough, polite, but discreet. I wasn't a fan of the 'fiddley-dee' music at breakfast time, however the standard of breakfast more than made up for that. I had the spiced oranges, but I wasn't able to finish it as the waiter took it away, obviously presuming that I had finished it. It was no biggie, and my partner and I did have a little laugh about it.
The only two things I would mark Rayanne down on would be that the walls are very thin on the rooms, so it was very easy to hear adjoining rooms' discussions. It is a grand, old, house, however, so this is to be expected. Also, there was only one bathrobe and pair of slippers for the room. It was a fantastic added extra for the room to have this, so again it isn't too much of a gripe! 5 stars for me on the whole; it was a truly unforgettable experience for me!!

Room Tip: If you're a golfer, or even better still, a Rory McIllroy fan, be sure to choose Room no.7 !!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andy_79
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Attended a wedding function here which was fabulous in every way !!
Service 10
Food 10
Location 10
Cleanliness 10
All in all a brillant day. The owners should consider opening as a restaurant as I believe its only Private and weddings catered for at this time

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DanDal1
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed here for one night with my boyfriend and we both loved it. The room was absolutely fantastic, with beautiful views over Belfast Lough. Everything was wonderfully clean, and there were so many complimentaries, little shampoos, slippers, dressing gowns, plenty of teas and coffees, and even a bottle of port.

Breakfast was amazing, once we finally decided what to have (so many delicious options!). Everything was beautifully presented, and all locally sourced. The staff were so friendly and helpful. Nothing seemed like too much trouble. Conor and Bernie (the owners) were fantastic. They told us about their Titanic tasting menu which they serve several nights a month, which sounded amazing. I'm already planning to come back and try it, as the reviews online for it seem fantastic.

Many thanks to all the staff at Rayanne, will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Choose a front facing room, the views are fantastic
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LudicrousCat
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Really wonderful stay. Polite and Friendly staff that catered for yoyr every need. Nothing was too much to ask and the personalised servjce made this even better. Breakfast was terrific, probabaly the best Ive ever had and it was so hard to choose what to have. Our Room 6 was perfect with beatiful decor and a fantastic view of the lough. Overall, a truly outstanding stay and I WILL be back!!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Rayanne House is obviously a great place to stay, otherwise it wouldn't rate so highly on Tripadvisor. In fact, this is the one stay which makes me query hotels that Tripadvisor tell me are wonderful. My first mistake was to read the reviews that say it is the best place to eat out of the 35 or so restaurants and cafes in Holywood. The second was to look at the mouthwatering menus provided on their website. Because, Tripadvisor friends, Friday night was booked out for a function and Chef Conor was off on Saturday. When I queried this with the receptionist he told me that they only really do food for private functions and that you need to hire the dining room in advance. I'm sorry but a cursory glance at their website really suggests otherwise. In fact, the food was one of the main reasons we chose Rayanne House.

Breakfast was a disaster, especially on Sunday. It was as if the owner had left the place under the care of her teenage children. There was zero intuition, no one reading the room, and the explicit orders that we had filled in the night before as requested might as well have been written on loo roll and flushed down the loo. I had to ask for a napkin because there were none on the tables. Coffee arrived with no milk. Toast arrived 20 minutes before any other food and so was cold by the time the eggs etc finally came. After staring at my empty place setting for 30 MINUTES I told the waiter/receptionist that we had a plane to catch. Half of my food didn't arrive and I left still hungry.

When we checked out, the amount we were told to pay was £80 more than we had agreed with Booking.com. Thank God I had a print out so that I had proof.

On the plus side, the rooms were fine - ours was a quirky golf themed one as there is a golf course nearby. The building and location is lovely and the ambiance is homely. Maybe this was a bad weekend for them but it wasn't a great one for our family

Room Tip: If you love golf, ask for room 7, the shower will make you smile. And book restuarants in Holywood i...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank mightyshepherd
RayanneHouse, Owner at Rayanne House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you for your review and acknowledging that we are a great place to stay and that you did make mistakes in your booking process. I am delighted you liked the bedrooms, house, location and ambiance but saddened that you did not rate you experience as the majority of our reviewers did.

I must first address your title “No Food” You made a reservation with booking.com that clearly states “Evening meals are available, but there are limited spaces and a reservation is needed” You did not ask nor reserve dining in your booking. I had also emailed you and you did not reply. We were fully booked on Friday night and Chef Conor had a charity commitment of which you were informed. Alternative dining arrangements where made of which you availed of in the dining room on Saturday night. We cater for both private parties and guests when reservations are made and this is clear on our website.

You state “They Over charged us” We did not overcharge you at any point in fact you were offered and accepted a reduction in price because you were unhappy with Breakfast service on Sunday morning You booked a double room then asked if we could place another the bed in the room for a child and we accommodated this and No additional cost was applied for your child’s accommodation or breakfast for 2 nights and you also accepted a reduced price.

“Bad Service” You made no mention of any problems with your service until the morning of your departure. In fact you very much enjoyed breakfast on your first morning. Please be advised that the owners do not have any teenage children and staff ages range up to the 30’s. Our staff where very upset so we reviewed the cctv footage. Your where a party of 4 the Gentleman and Mother entered the dining room at 9.00, at this point they were asked if they wished to wait for the rest of their party and answered “Yes” as was the case on Sat morning, the rest of the party arrived at 9.15 and this is when as you had requested service began, it took a total of 25
minutes for your table to be served and eat your first course and then receive your main course.

Our Award winning breakfast menu offers a large selection and confusion occurred when you ordered 2 main courses as opposed to the regular format of starter and main course, Hence starters were served first and this is why you waited as the rest of your party had their starters. You chose not to speak when asked if everything was ok.

No one is perfect and we are sorry that you did not have a napkin and had to wait for your milk that morning.

We place great value on trip advisor reviews and I would encourage everyone to also read all our other reviews.

Many Thanks
Rayanne House

Also consider these accommodations in or near Holywood
Culloden Estate & Spa
#1 of 2 in Holywood
The Old Inn Crawfordsburn
#1 of 1 in Crawfordsburn
Golden Mile
The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast
Stormont Hotel
#13 of 45 in Belfast

Been to Rayanne House? Share your experiences!