“Family friendly”

Ranked #1 of 3 Coffee & Tea in Holywood
Price range: US$5 - US$13
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: A family run business that aims to be all the things you love
Holywood, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Family friendly”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

A great, family friendly, cafe in Holywood. The food is great with the french toast and freshly squeezed orange being a favourite of mine and my husband opting for the roast of the day. There is room for prams and a great kids area at the back meaning I can relax and enjoy a coffee in (relative) peace. Only downside is that you have to go up to order so not ideal if I am on my own with the kids. Also, there is no dedicated kids menu although mine seems to love the chicken pasta.

Visited August 2013

Hove, United Kingdom
“Awful and overpriced”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We were charged a fortune for two thin and unadorned toasted sandwiches, an orange juice and a coffee. One of the sandwiches was burnt - it was actually black- so was sent back. Why on earth did they think it was acceptable to bring that to the table? When we did manage to eat, the food was tasteless and the coffee was just grey water, with no flavour. They clearly try to skimp on the proportion of coffee/water. Pathetic. Worst of all, they serve as many things as possible from the cheapest, nastiest disposable plastic tableware, instead of using real crockery. If I'm being charged so much for an orange juice that I virtually have to re-mortgage my house to pay for it, I don't expect to receive it in a plastic cup. It's rubbish, don't go there.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank violinmuso
chris b, General Manager at Coffee Yard, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
We like to take time to address any complaint we receive. Thankfully, we receive many more positive comments than negative ones, but on receiving your review there are a few points I would like to expand on:

1. Our prices are displayed online, outside our doors at each entrance and inside above the service area, for people to see before deciding to make a purchase.
2. Our toasted sandwiches are filled to specific quantities and served with garnish.
3. On average, eight oranges are used for each portion of our orange juice.
4. Our espresso based coffees are served with two shots for a regular and three shots for a large. Our filter coffee is brewed using coffee supplied by an automatic grinder which dispenses 92g of ground coffee per flask - as recommended by our coffee supplier.
5. The only plastic tableware we use is a good quality, plastic cup to serve cold drinks and a smaller plastic cup for our water dispenser.
We stopped using glasses a few years ago on the grounds of health and safety.
6. Crockery is used for all our food and all our hot drinks for sit-in customers.
7. Stainless steel cutlery is provided for all sit-in customers and wooden cutlery for takeaways.

Finally, in relation to your closing comment “It’s rubbish, don’t go there”: Figures from Saturday 18th, which is when I assume you were in, showed 1,042 customers were served during our opening hours 8am to 5pm, 96% of whom purchased both food and drink. The vast majority of these customers were ‘regulars’, which would imply the opposite of your statement.

When a customer has a complaint we take it seriously and do our best to put it right so that he or she leaves happy and satisfied. It is however very difficult to do this if they do not speak to us at the time. We are very approachable and appreciate genuine complaints as we are passionate about our business. Our customers mean a great deal to us.
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Great coffee, lovely cake - what more could you ask for?!”
Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

Went this morning to the Coffee Yard with a friend. Coffee delicious as was the lemon & white chocolate muffin. Service smiley & efficient. Toilets spotless. Take ten minutes to check out a wide and varied range of artwork. I drop in quite a bit but always arrive, sit down, sigh & wonder why I don't go there more often.

Visited December 2013
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
“Excellent place to unwind!”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I was recommended coffee yard by a friend, when visiting Belfast, and it sure was the best place i visited in my long weekend trip. The place impeccably clean with plenty of light was the first impression when i came in. I was warmly welcomed at the counter and offered a wide range of recommendation - I was extremely hungry after a big night, so went for the irish breakfast along with a tomato soup. It was so tasty that i had to finish it all off even though i was so full!
I'd like to thank one particular waitress, a curly blond tall guy, with a cheeky smile as he knew the food i had was so good. He gave me 5 minutes of his time to explain the concept of his family run business and gave me several recommendations of where to go around Belfast - I cannot thank him enough. Awesome place that stayed in my mind for a while after i came back to Barcelona. The place is definitely suitable for all range of customers.
Thank you all!

• Visited September 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic concept”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We spent Saturday afternoon shopping in Holywood, called in the the Coffee Yard for lunch. The Coffee Yard has such a lovely atmosphere, the food was delicious, the fruit smoothies were glorious so natural and wholesome. The concept of Art, Food and Music is delightful so original
and works perfect together. There is no pressure on you to leave your table, we spent nearly 2 hours enjoying the music, loving the artwork, you would almost think you were in a capital city anywhere in the world. WHAT a FIND! Will be back.

• Visited November 2013