“Very disappointed” 1 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Seating
belfast
“Very disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Me and my husband went to this cafe today to have the luxurious breakfast with a groupon voucher. The luxurious breakfast itself was very minimal and disappointing. They forgot to bring the coffees which had to be asked for and when they finally arrived i then had to ask for milk. To top it all of they forgot the toast. i left quite annoyed and frankly hungry.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank ella-louise29

Belfast
“Style over Substance”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

So very very disappointed with the Whalley Gallery coffee shop. Myself and 3 friends decided to have breakfast here today, unfortunately due to the quality of the food and the overall experience we will not be recommending or returning.
As the old adage goes 'you get what you pay for' I really felt like In this instance I got very little for what I paid for!
As long as I enjoy a meal I do not worry about the cost, in fact I never even look at prices on a menu however it is only when I feel disappointed in the dining experience that I question the value for money.
This mornings breakfast did not represent good value for money. The bacon was of inferior standard to what you would find in a budget hotel in Spain. I really can't believe how awful the bacon was when there are so many premium quality butchers within steps from the Whalley Gallery's front door. The scrambled eggs are done in the micro so they're not the best either and the overall presentation and portion size is just plain poor.
Despite the coffee shop being open for an hour before we arrived it was very cold inside. One couple must have commented on this and a little heater was sitting right beside them but for the rest of us in the room we just felt chilly and we didn't seem to warm up. This is a small detail but crucially important in creating ambience.
As Holywood has so many coffee shops to choose from I really feel the Whalley Gallery has to pull its socks up. Quality, well cooked, well presented dishes are required. Theres Definately room for improvement on the breakfasts. The bacon, egg, tomato, toast breakfast lacks any culinary imagination - even an offering of nice relish or chutney would spice it up a bit.
Style over substance is not a winning combination for a coffee shop. It has such potential to be a great coffee shop with art gallery but there just needs a little more attention to detail and not rely on its appearance - as after all looks eventually fade.....

Visited December 2013
1 Thank hotlyds
Belfast
“Very pleasant little refuge.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

This is a lovely little cafe/art gallery. Peaceful with lovely food which is well presented. Friendly staff , nice decor and atmosphere with interesting art to look at. A big thumbs up!

1 Thank iammadabout
N. Ireland
“Little gem with fabulous art”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

After a 3hr walk I needed a sit down and something sweet and naugthy - I deserved it :-) Not only that but my dog had drunk all her water and it was such a hot day she was panting - enter The Whalley café with a doggy bowl outside, you just never see that; plus there was a little doggy lead attachment by the door too!

My husband and I both had the most gorgeous Victoria sponge cake, so naughty, so good.

The surroundings were beautiful covered in the work of a talented artist- bright, colourful and full of character. In perfect contrast the decor was all grey white and black. There was and art gallery upstairs but my poor post-hike legs couldn't make it.

Will be back - the owners were so lovely!!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank carriegault
Bangor, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A hidden gem in the heart of Holywood!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

My wife and I stubbled across this amazing cafe and artgallery when visiting Holywood today. I have to say the food was beautiful and very well presented!
The cafe was exceptionally clean and the satff were so friendly.
The premises also boasts an art gallery on the first and second floors and the work is vibrant and colourful...we especially loved the Snails!!
Highly recommended and we'll be back again very soon!!

1 Thank Joe E