“Don't waste your money”

The Whalley Gallery Cafe
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Don't waste your money”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Purchased a groupon voucher but very disappointed in the 'luxury' breakfast we were offered today. Like other reviewers the breakfast was not was not as advertised but more importantly the quality of the food and presentation was poor. We were served apple juice as they had run out of orange first thing on Sunday morning, The croissant was microwaved and the small serving of grapes were wizened - overall the food seemed less than fresh. I will not be back as there are many more good quality coffee shops in Holywood,.

5 Thank Gillian B

Bangor, United Kingdom
“Groupon breakfast”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Bought a groupon voucher for luxury breakfast last week. Myself and a friend arrived on a Sunday at 2.30pm. Which included orange juice, tea/coffee, toast and an afternoon tea stand with various scones, hot food, cheese and salami. This is not how I had envisioned breakfast (hybrid of afternoon tea and breakfast), how ever I enjoyed it non the less as it was different. One silly service mistake of not bringing us a couple of forks but this was quickly resolved. Definitely worth a try. If we had of paid full price for what we received I would have felt a little hard done by though.

2 Thank Andrew F
Belfast, United Kingdom
“OK-ish, but it doesn't make you want to come back for more”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We went for a luxurious breakfast with a Groupon voucher. Service was ok, it felt a bit cold inside, but it was only 9.30 am so maybe the place still needed to heat up. The breakfast itself was ok, allthough a bit strange: it was more like a mix of breakfast and afternoon tea, consisting of a coffee, orange juice,croissant, toast with butter and jam, scone, pancake, potato bread with cream cheese and salmon and different types of cheese (blue cheese, cheddar, brie) It tasted ok, but was presented in a thrown-together way. The name "luxurious" was more represented in the quantity than quality.
The Whalley Gallery has a nice interior and I might be back for a coffee if I happen to pass, but then again, Hollywood offers lots of nice coffee places...

2 Thank JosieTurnpike
belfast
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Me and my husband went to this cafe today to have the luxurious breakfast with a groupon voucher. The luxurious breakfast itself was very minimal and disappointing. They forgot to bring the coffees which had to be asked for and when they finally arrived i then had to ask for milk. To top it all of they forgot the toast. i left quite annoyed and frankly hungry.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank ella-louise29
Belfast
“Style over Substance”
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

So very very disappointed with the Whalley Gallery coffee shop. Myself and 3 friends decided to have breakfast here today, unfortunately due to the quality of the food and the overall experience we will not be recommending or returning.
As the old adage goes 'you get what you pay for' I really felt like In this instance I got very little for what I paid for!
As long as I enjoy a meal I do not worry about the cost, in fact I never even look at prices on a menu however it is only when I feel disappointed in the dining experience that I question the value for money.
This mornings breakfast did not represent good value for money. The bacon was of inferior standard to what you would find in a budget hotel in Spain. I really can't believe how awful the bacon was when there are so many premium quality butchers within steps from the Whalley Gallery's front door. The scrambled eggs are done in the micro so they're not the best either and the overall presentation and portion size is just plain poor.
Despite the coffee shop being open for an hour before we arrived it was very cold inside. One couple must have commented on this and a little heater was sitting right beside them but for the rest of us in the room we just felt chilly and we didn't seem to warm up. This is a small detail but crucially important in creating ambience.
As Holywood has so many coffee shops to choose from I really feel the Whalley Gallery has to pull its socks up. Quality, well cooked, well presented dishes are required. Theres Definately room for improvement on the breakfasts. The bacon, egg, tomato, toast breakfast lacks any culinary imagination - even an offering of nice relish or chutney would spice it up a bit.
Style over substance is not a winning combination for a coffee shop. It has such potential to be a great coffee shop with art gallery but there just needs a little more attention to detail and not rely on its appearance - as after all looks eventually fade.....

Visited December 2013