“Great lunch” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Avenue Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 24 Restaurants in Haddington
Cuisines: British, Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Took mother here for Mother's Day lunch. Table upstairs. Lots of staff, all very friendly and efficient. Fixed menu for the occasion with good choice. Crab crostini, melon and shrimp, salmon, chicken and mushroom risotto followed by crime brûlée, raspberry mousse and cheesecake all went down well with glasses of lovely merlot. Place obviously popular as it was pretty full when we left. We'll come back again.

Visited March 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Haddington, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Always great for a special occasion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

The staff are always cheery and welcoming at The Avenue. The food as always was excellent.
We love the ambience here. A great place for a special occasion.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Audrey P
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“another try”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

It has been a long time since we visited this restaurant and had been wary about going back ( after 5 years!) but we unexpectedly had the opportunity of a meal out on our own and grabbed it. The staff were pleasant enough although did not really engage with us or make us feel that welcome. It was very quiet but mid week so only to be expected. Starters were enjoyable but not memorable and I ordered the salmon fingers coated with capers as my main. My dining companion ordered the duck. I did not enjoy the salmon at all as it had an almost overpowering sea side /ozone smell, which for someone who cooks salmon fillets regularly I thought odd. And I usually love capers. I ate the salad and the chunky chips but had to give up on the salmon fingers which I passed to my partner, He told me they were far better than his duck!

It might be another 5 years before we try it again.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Paisley, United Kingdom
“Worst meal of our holiday”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

First off, the place looked nice. Clean and well presented. In the nice town of Haddington too. Can't fault the place or setting at all.
The srvice of the two waitresses was good too. No problems there.
The food, however, was very poor.
My wife had the carvery, which contained dried out bacon, dried out chicken and very dried out beef. The stupidly large chunks of undercooked veg and the most ridiculous amount of gravy we have ever seen (despite asking for a small amount) ((the gravy also having a strange purple tinge to it!))
My meal had very odd 'sticky tomato rice' which was made with pudding rice and not fully cooked either. The low-light being the 'pesto pakora' which was frankly bizarre, with it's almost neon colour, and none too tasty, being very dry and not too hot either.
I know some folk will say 'well why didn't you complain?'... well, quite frankly sometimes you can't be bothered and prefer to just eat what you can and leave.
2 mains and 1 drink - £26 completely wasted.

• Visited February 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 417db
Haddington, United Kingdom
“Excellent food with good menu choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I have eaten at The Avenue several times during the past year and can honestly say that I have never had a bad meal there. Haddington is not well served by quality restaurants but the husband and wife team of Craig and Kirsty Hunter have raised the bar and won many East Lothian food awards since they opened.
My last visit was with friends for Sunday lunch and we really enjoyed the carvery in the upstairs restaurant. Portions tend to be large but the carvery allowed us to limit our main course and that way enjoy one of their excellent desserts afterwards. Staff were attentive and polite and the atmosphere relaxed.

• Visited February 2014