“More affordable”

The Avenue Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 27 Restaurants in Haddington
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Avenue will be open for drinks only after Saturday until we leave on the 15th February!
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This was our second visit - we found our first lunch here a bit expensive and our waiter reeked of cigarettes. We were hesitant on making another visit, but we were pleasantly surprised. We had the crab and sweet potatoes between us, one large glass and one normal glass of wine each. We had second helpings of bread and butter and the bill came to just over £20 - a bargain! There was a very good menu and they do serve smaller portions if asked. Service was quick and efficient, which surprised us on a busy Friday.

Parking can be a bit of a problem as it is slap, bang in the middle of the town, but have heard that the parking attendants are not as vigilant as they once were. This may explain why we were boxed in by a double parked car for 14 minutes.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Went here at the last minute on my birthday (Tues. April 1st) and enjoyed every minute of it. Staff were friendly, courteous, professional as they should be.
The menu was perfect and the food that was delivered was faultless.
A great last minute decision to be repeated.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Took mother here for Mother's Day lunch. Table upstairs. Lots of staff, all very friendly and efficient. Fixed menu for the occasion with good choice. Crab crostini, melon and shrimp, salmon, chicken and mushroom risotto followed by crime brûlée, raspberry mousse and cheesecake all went down well with glasses of lovely merlot. Place obviously popular as it was pretty full when we left. We'll come back again.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

The staff are always cheery and welcoming at The Avenue. The food as always was excellent.
We love the ambience here. A great place for a special occasion.

1  Thank Audrey P
Reviewed 7 March 2014

It has been a long time since we visited this restaurant and had been wary about going back ( after 5 years!) but we unexpectedly had the opportunity of a meal out on our own and grabbed it. The staff were pleasant enough although did not really engage with us or make us feel that welcome. It was very quiet but mid week so only to be expected. Starters were enjoyable but not memorable and I ordered the salmon fingers coated with capers as my main. My dining companion ordered the duck. I did not enjoy the salmon at all as it had an almost overpowering sea side /ozone smell, which for someone who cooks salmon fillets regularly I thought odd. And I usually love capers. I ate the salad and the chunky chips but had to give up on the salmon fingers which I passed to my partner, He told me they were far better than his duck!

It might be another 5 years before we try it again.