“Would stay again”

Maitlandfield House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Haddington
Reviewed 14 June 2014

A very pleasant and friendly welcome on our arrival. The room was clean and comfortable, with plenty space and, with bath/shower and plenty towels.

Ate in the brasserie one night and the meal was good. The staff were very pleasant and attentive. My main course was not exactly as described on the menu. I was happy with the substitution but would like to have been informed prior to it arriving so that I could have changed my mind if wanted. When I mentioned this they were extremely apologetic and informed us that the starters would not be charged. We appreciated this offer but would not have felt right in taking it as we enjoyed the meal. We did appreciate this though.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reception46, Manager at Maitlandfield House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Thank you for reviewing the hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and the food. Sorry once again for the error with your meal but I am glad you enjoyed this regardless. We hope that you do visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed at the Maitlandfield for four nights on business and was extremely disappointed for the money I paid (£98 per night). The hotel has no lift as far as I'm aware as I was left to find my room with large rucksack and suitcase....! Upon reaching my initial room I was surprised (to say the least) to find a guy sitting on the bed when I opened the door, talk about Shock!! When I reported this to reception I was asked to take a seat while it gets sorted out, (No courtesy drink or anything!!). Their excuse was we both had the same surname hence the mistake! My alternative room (16) was dreadful.... Talk about small. How ever they fitted a shower, sink and toilet in that small room called a bathroom is beyond me. One thing they did forget was an air freshener!! It was dreary, dark and not a nice place to be for four days. The only positive from of my stay was the kilo of mussels I had which was only by default as I didn't get back from work until late and didn't have time to go any place else for dinner.... I should also say the staff in the bar / restaurant were great and really helpful. Definitely not the best hotel I have stopped in and hopefully never again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. We are sorry for the mistake on check in. This was a dreadful error and one that we will not repeat. I appreciate that you must have been embarrassed and I can not apologise enough. I must also that you for the positive comments you left. Much appreciated.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed here one night on business and the hotel is reasonable for what I paid but I would avoid room 7 which is the room I was allocated. The room is at the back of the hotel, dark and small. As I was there on my own it was OK but if you were staying as a couple and for more than one night it would be intolerable. The mattress was also extremely hard and as a result I had difficulty getting comfortable. In addition the shower room is tiny and only suitable for midgets. On the plus side the room was spotless. I ate in the brasserie and the food was again perfectly adequate but nothing special. The breakfast was extremely disappointing and probably the most disappointing breakfast I have had at a hotel for a long time. The choice was very limited and the ingredients seemed cheap, particularly the sausage which seemed deep fried. Being an independent Scottish hotel I though Haggis may be on the menu but no, not here. The staff were very pleasant, helpful and friendly. Overall not a bad 3 star hotel just nothing makes it stand out.

Room Tip: Avoid room 7 and probably all 'Classic' rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. We have various rooms in the hotel, from classic right up to our honeymoon suite. I hope that you do come back and give the hotel another chance some time soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed there with `cycling friends last night, and although the hotel rooms and staff were fine the quality and value for money of the food was very poor. My wife and I opted for the chargrilled Caesar salad priced at £12.95. This consisted of 6 pieces of chicken breast, that were not chargrilled. At best the chicken had been pointed at the grill as there was no evidence of charring or grilling. The bacon that adorned the top of this "dish" was reminiscent of the 1980`s snack The Frazzle, hard, tastless and salty. The croutons were soft. I opted for the "with anchovies option" and BOTH of the anchovies were very nice. No dressing was supplied, however a very thin French dressing was supplied on request. The bulk of the dish was salad leaves that would have been inedible if not for the dressing. In all, you would be advised to visit the local Esso garage and purchase a £3 meal deal, much tastier and much better value. One of our party had also ordered the Caesar salad but was presented with the piri piri chicken option in error. There was NO WAY that the kitchen staff were going to correct this and after having sent the dish back twice, only to have it re-appear, did he decide to make the best of a bad lot and accept it. In short, stay at this hotel, but eat out!!!!

Room Tip: Go for the superior option, rooms 1, 2, and 3 are winners.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are sorry that you were not impressed with your stay and meal with us. I feel a little disappointed that you failed to bring your grievances to our attention while you were with us. This would have given us the chance to rectify the situation instantly. Just a note, we do not have a petrol station that sells food in Haddington.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Having just returned from a very quick break to Haddington [which I must say is a delight] we stayed at the Maitlandfield House Hotel. The room was completely without any view at all only views of the conservatory roof on both sides - making if feel extremely dark and dingy.

The bar,reception,kitchen and it seemed everything else was run by a young man who was very friendly but absolutely rushed of his feet!!!!

Service therefore was poor rooms below average and breakfast pleasant but very ordinary.

Not the greatest of stays

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reception46, Manager at Maitlandfield House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. We appreciate all comments be they good or bad. It is feedback that helps us improve our service so is extremely valuable. I do hope that you come back to the hotel.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stayed here recently whilst on business, having never stayed here before.

The reception and greeting were polite and on that note all the staff we encountered at the bar and reception were excellent. Waiters on an evening the same.

The room was average to small size I would say, but had everything you needed for a stay.

The shower was a complete waste of time, no power or pressure at all, not what you need after a long day or first thing in the morning tbh.

Evening meal was super, no complaints at all with that.

Breakfast was an event. Staff were indifferent really, think it was too busy for them, toast was coming out at different times. NEVER A FAN OF MAKE YOUR OWN TEA OR COFFEE

Our toast came to table with mould on it, apologies all round which was fair enough but not a very pleasant thing to come out of a kitchen, just makes you wonder about the rest of it in the back of your mind.

Food on offer was fine, cereal, juices and self service cooked breakfast were all good.

Would return if in the area but ask for a certain room and perhaps remind them of my last breakfast experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a shower that has some good pressure
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am not going to insult you apologies. This is not our usual standard and I will look into what exactly went wrong while you were with us. I really appreciate the kind comments you also made. I do hope that you do come and visit us again.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

This is not a place I would stay if I was paying for it out of my own pocket (the acid test). We were staying here on business and they were very awkward on things like checking out, expecting a weeks notice to be given on early check out (and we were only there for 4 days!). Tried all sorts of tricks to keep money when we had to cancel a stay later on, luckily they hadn't sent the T&C's through so the payment was refunded. Very expensive for what it is. Single rooms are very small. Breakfast buffet was poor quality.

Room Tip: Single rooms can be tiny.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. We appreciate any comments be they bad or good. Our terms and conditions are there to protect both the guests and the hotel. Our times for check out and check in are standard and we would require notice if these were to be different. We never refuse a guests request for an early check out and try our best to never refuse any request. We are sorry that we did not live up to your expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Haddington
Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa
#2 of 5 in North Berwick
Bayswell Park Hotel
Bayswell Park Hotel
#2 of 3 in Dunbar

Been to Maitlandfield House Hotel? Share your experiences!