“Father's Day disappointment”

The Avenue Restaurant at the Victoria Inn
The Avenue Restaurant at the Victoria Inn
Ranked #5 of 8 Haddington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My ex wife booked this at my request for Father's Day. My mother in law and father in law accompanied us.

We arrived and were shown upstairs, there were 6 of us, no one else was upstairs! We ordered and I had the scotch roast beef. It was terrible. It was definitely not roasted and was as tough as old boots. Everyone else seemed to be a bit underwhelmed too.

We eventually asked for the bill and it was £120 for 4 adults and 2 teenagers.

I had been here before in midweek and thoroughly enjoyed it but will not be back.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Roy S
There are newer reviews for The Avenue Restaurant at the Victoria Inn

Reviewed 1 July 2013

This was a last minute booking and I was really pleased with it.Room was very clean and large with a very good shower.I went to the pub,s restaurant and whilst it was busy the staff got me a table.Food was excellent as was the service.A nice couple of cask beers and a nice wine list make this a very good find.Well worth a visit even if you do not stay.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Lovely meal served with a smile. We had not booked but I think we got a table so easy because we were early - got busier later. Everything was very clean and the food was amazing. Will definitely be back. One small complaint - food could have been a bit warmer.

Room Tip: We did not stay so cannot comment on the rooms
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HaddingtonJinty
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Stayed here with a mate whilst visiting local attractions ( motor and air museum).
Not the type of place I would stay for a romantic weekend with my high maintenance wife but for somewhere to just put your head down it was ideal.
My double room was large, clean and well appointed with bath and shower, lots of chairs, tea coffee and TV.. It had everything that you would expect from a more expensive and exclusive hotel.
The owners and staff were very friendly, ( Not many hotel staff in the North of England even bother to speak to you.)
Breakfast good and filling.
On the downside drinks in the bar were very expensive hence it was empty. At £3.80 a pint we decided to go next door to "The plough" where prices were more reasonable.
Entrance to the rooms was via a seperate door and both the outside door and room locks seemed a bit flimsy. We took our valuables with us.
No parking facilities but plenty of car parks nearby.
We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on front suffer from traffic noise. Also local town clock sounds at 10pm and 7 am with over 10...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ColDurham
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Nice modern rooms, lovely place , top breakfast, lovely home made food in the evening, people are incredibly freindly. Top Indian, never tried the chinese bu that was meant to be good. the place is full of history well worth a visit, bridge supposedly,oldest bridge in europe or nearly oldest. The church has still got pock marks from musket and cannon shot, when the english held the town and they were surrounded by scots and french. I wont tell you what happened and spoil it for you. Try the Tyneside pub (pity about the name), the ale there is fabulous try their guest stuff. Will go back.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We had a very pleasant Sunday lunch. Generous portions. I had a pot of mussells and my partner had a very tasty black pudding scotch egg.
Great Carvery main courses. Some very nice wines.
We did not stay in the hotel we just had the lunch.
We will go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 September 2012 via mobile

Very comfy bed in a large clean room, (tiny teacups though!), breakfast top notch (Smoked Haddock, my favourite!) Bar serves some good real ale. Altogether a grand stopover spot in East Lothian. Thumbs up!

• Stayed: September 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haddington
Maitlandfield House Hotel
The Golf Tavern
The Golf Tavern
#4 of 8 in Haddington
The Linton Hotel & Steakhouse

Been to The Avenue Restaurant at the Victoria Inn? Share your experiences!