“Only place to go if you are doing any form of research in East Lothian”
Review of John Gray Centre

John Gray Centre
Ranked #3 of 12 things to do in Haddington
More attraction details
Owner description: The John Gray Centre houses the County's Archives & Local History Department, a Museum covering the entire County's history from the Prehistoric settlements up to the present day and a branch library for Haddington, which also provides access to Internet and wifi for visitors. We also provide Baby and Disabled Adult changing facilities.
Reviewed 19 August 2014

If you are doing any form of research on East Lothian then this is the place for you. The very helpful staff can point you in the right direction, be it people, places or history or just somewhere nice to have a holiday

1  Thank MikeBR

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I LOVED my trip to the John Gray center. Its a beautiful facility and was the best part of my weeklong trip to Scotland. We (my mom, dad, brother and I) walked into the center with a little information on our Haddington ancestors. My Grams (my dad's grandmother) was born in Haddington, so I was hoping they could help us dig a little further or add some details to our knowledge of her and her family. Why didn't we ask her more questions while she was still with us? It certainly would have been a lot easier. Anyway, they were able to help us find several newspaper articles about her father and other family members. They worked so hard to help us, and I never imagined they would find as much as they did! The articles added so many details that helped us to feel like we know the great-great grandfather none of us ever met. There are surely more articles and documents to be found, and they would have found them all for us, but we only had so much time on a rushed trip and my family was anxious to move on to the next activity. I certainly hope to be back. Before we left they helped us find my grandmother's birthplace on an old and current map so that we could view the property on our way out. It's still there!

2  Thank Stacey C
J G C, Archivist at John Gray Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Hi Stacey,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review.

We're really glad you found your visit useful and hope to see you back on your next visit to Scotland.

best wishes,