“Nice place, friendly atmosphere, good service, good food, hefty price”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Waterside

Waterside
Ranked #9 of 25 Restaurants in Haddington
Price range: US$19 - US$26
Cuisines: Bar, British, Scottish, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, View, Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Nice place, friendly atmosphere, good service, good food, hefty price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

This has changed hands a few time but the current owners have a done a great job to create a comfortable and funky gastro-pub atmosphere. The service is friendly and professional. Food is tasty and good. Location is excellent. A couple of pointers though: some parts could do with a bit of a maintenance as there's the danger of a bit of faded glory. Also, paying an extra £3.00 for veg and another £3.00 for chips on an already expensive £19.00 main course makes the pricing out of kilter with gastro-pub proposition.

Robin S, General Manager at Waterside, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear WineandDine68,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to the Waterside and I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your dining experience.
Thank you also for the feedback with regards to the pricing for our sides and I will ensure to share this feedback with our Head Chef as we review our new Summer Menu, both in terms of dish content and pricing.
In the meantime we look forward to welcoming you back to the Waterside in the near future.
Kind regards

Haddington, United Kingdom
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

We had dinner at the Waterside with our daughter the other night. We have been before, and I noticed a big difference - in a positive way. The restaurant was cleaner, the atmosphere warm, the staff very efficient and friendly and the food was absolutely delicious! Had the duck to start and the lamb stew as a main course. My husband had the soup and the burger, best burger he had in years! My daughter loved the chicken from the kids menu, you saw and tasted that it was freshly made. We will certainly be back very soon. thank you Waterside!

Robin S, General Manager at Waterside, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear East Lothian1,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to the Waterside.
I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your dining experience and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future.
Kind regards,
“very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

What a shame. It was a special occasion and we chose the Waterside based on the excellent reviews. It wasn't good. The restaurant smells of chips as soon as you walk in. The service was too quick. The waitresses were efficient but dressed in very casual clothes that looked out of place. The food was forgettable, bland and pretty tasteless. The best thing about the evening was the bottle of wine and the price. I'm so disappointed with the evening and won't be going back.

• Visited April 2014
watersideHaddinton, General Manager at Waterside, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear "Buffy 89",
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience on Trip Advisor and I am really sorry that your dinner did not meet your expectations.

I am always grateful to receive feedback from our guests as this enables the team here at The Waterside to improve the service and guest experience. I will share the feedback regarding the menu with our Head Chef and will follow up with regards to the smell of our freshly cut homemade chips in the restaurant, this is indeed the first time this has been mentioned.

I am sorry that you did not feel able to share your comments with myself or one of our managers on the evening as we would have offered alternative dishes to your liking. The comment regarding the team wearing branded Waterside polo tops is entirely personal.

Please do feel free to contact me directly on robin@watersidebistro.co.uk so I can clarify further details with regards to the dishes and speed of service.

Kind regards for now

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beef and Onions”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

The Taste melted away in my mouth.....like I wanted to lick the plate , service was excellent and friendly with a nice view.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Beer P
Robin S, General Manager at Waterside, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Dear "Beer P",
Many thanks for sharing your recent experience at the Waterside on trip advisor. We very much pride ourselves on our food (beer and wine) offering, using only the freshest locally sourced ingredients. Our team of chefs will be thrilled to see how much you enjoyed your beef & onions and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Waterside, best wishes for now, Robin
“Lovely location, delicious food, friendly service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Visited the Waterside for Mother's Day this year. There was a large group of us, and we were not disappointed. Waterside has a lovely location by the river. The service was impeccable, and the meal delicious. I had a salmon starter, which was really tasty, and a steak for my main. The peppercorn sauce on my steak was amazing. Will definitely be returning.

• Visited March 2014
Robin S, General Manager at Waterside, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Dear Ross,
Greetings from sunny Haddington and thank you for taking the time to share your Mothers Day experience on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read how much you and your family enjoyed your lunch and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Waterside in the near future.
Kind regards for now