“Slightly disappointed”
Review of Thorntonloch House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dunbar
Thorntonloch House
Ranked #3 of 6 Dunbar B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 April 2013

We have recently spent a night in Thorntonloch House, and we were slightly disappointed.

I had been reading many reviews in TripAdvisor and everything about it looked amazing, so I was really looking forward to take my family to this B&B.

One of the bedrooms was not ready when we arrived, so we had to wait in the other room. There wasn’t any shampoo or gel in the shower and there were no cups in the tea and coffee tray.

Breakfast was chaos, we were served coffee with no spoons and we had to wait for the Scottish full breakfast before we got some bread, there weren’t any jams or marmalade in the table and we were served canned tomatoes. The owner kept going round and round the table which made it impossible to have any relaxing conversation.

All in all, not what I was expecting.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
loopylinny, Owner at Thorntonloch House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

I am sorry to hear you were slightly disappointed while staying with us.
As we had not arranged an arrival time and i decided to upgrade you to the seaview room I thought a 5 min wait was not unreasonable.
shower gel is not provided nor advertised on web site as we feel the plastic thay are contained in is not eco friendly.
Toast is generaly served at the same time as breakfast. So that it is hot.
Marmalade and Jam are served at the end of breakfast but i will review the need for them to be on the table at all times.
Canned tomatoes are served in winter months as fresh local produce is not available.
I am very sorry i forgot the teaspoons.
As for running around the table, you were aware that breakfast is served in the kitchen, therfore I would be there serving at all times.
The cups in bedrooms; As i recall, I made you coffee on arrival and brought it to your room, Were they not the cups you would require? I also made sure you had iced water and tea,after you returned from dinner at The Rocks Restaurant 10 30pm.

Gracias por todo

Reviewed 27 November 2012 via mobile

I stumbled across Thorntonloch earlier in 2012 when I did a search on yell.com whilst in Berwick. I needed a B&B that evening whilst travelling on business. The rooms are superb together with the whole house. Meals are served in the huge family kitchen and cooked on the Aga. The lounge is something special too and those who like a bit of class will love the B&O stereo to relax to a spot of music. I'm now booked in a second time and would not look anywhere else when travelling up on the NE coast.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I had a long drive from Skye to Dunbar and called Thorntonloch to see if it would be OK to drop off s golf bag and a suitcase there. I had to return my rental car to Glasgow Airport so I wanted to unload this stuff and then drive back to Glasgow. So I gave them a call and talked to Peter who told me they were doing a dinner party and would be up if I arrived late. So I arrived in the evening while the dinner party was going on, only to be invited to sit in the kitchen and fed! Linda cooked up a lovely dinner and fed me just what the guests were getting. I left a couple of hours later, refreshed, fed and happy. The next day when I returned, it was more of the same - like you are staying with family and not just a business sleeping arrangement. Filling breakfast in the kitchen, lots of chatter and jokes, Peter giving us buiscuts for our golf outing, great rooms. What more to asking for? Nothing at all. I've stayed at many fine Bed and breakfasts but Thorntonloch is a one of a kind and that kind is absolutely perfect.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bobobirdiebuddy
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Peter and Linda were extremely welcoming and friendly throughout our stay. Our large room had a bay window with brilliant views out to the sea. The room was very well equipped with a seating area, including a sofa, and everywhere is clean and comfortable. Nothing is too much trouble for the owners and it doesn't take long before you feel you have known them for ages. Peter will recommend some lovely walks along the coast.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room for stunning views.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LorrainePer57
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Everything about Thorntonloch House is LARGE - the rooms, the breakfasts and above all the welcome. This is a genuinely warm and friendly place and we very much enjoyed our brief stay here. As a place to stay one night to break a journey or a base for a slightly longer stay it is hard to fault and hard to beat, and Linda is the perfect landlady/host.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John_from_NM
Reviewed 30 July 2012

The b and b is lovely, very homely, huge rooms, clean, and well laid out. The bed was so ridiculously comfy, i had trouble getting up! We were free to have breakfast at a time suitable for us. Linda and peter were lovely people and very genuine, honest and thoughtful. We were going to a wedding at the dunglass estate, and it was so handy, a lot closer than dunbar hotels (approx 5 mins in a car!) I could not reccomend the place highly enough! thanks for a wonderful 2 days!

Room Tip: all rooms are nicely decorated, but the earlier you book the better chance you have of getting the b...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We stayed for 2 nights with our young son Daniel for a family wedding that was in the area. We were given a huge family room for no additional cost. Thorntonloch is a lovely traditional country house but has still a tremendous cosey feel within in it. Linda and Peter were very hospitable and Linda cooked a great breakfast ( sausages are 95% pork!!). Breakfast is served in the kitchen, this is what makes the experience quite special. When back in the area, we will definitely stay again. Gordon, Lisa and Daniel

• Stayed: July 2012