“Restaurant review only”
Review of The Rocks

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dunbar
The Rocks
Ranked #1 of 6 Dunbar B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Restaurant review only”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Three of us had dinner at this lovely pub/restaurant/hotel on Monday Oct 21. The restaurant is adjacent to the coast and has a lovely view. The décor is in keeping with the fine Scottish hotels. We arrived at 7.30 PM and the restaurant was already full (I am glad we had made reservations).
We thoroughly enjoyed our meal. For starters, 2 of us had mussels in a wine broth. The mussels were large and very tasty with the broth. One person had the rabbit terrine, also good.
For our main courses one person ordered the sea bass (grilled), one ordered the halibut and one, fish and chips. The sea bass was really fresh and wonderfully seasoned. The halibut was also fresh and moist. The Fish and chips are titled "Posh" and so they were, crispy and tasty. The chips were on the fat side and some of us prefer the thin variety but that's just a matter of preference.
Overall the service was great and we had a wonderful meal. We would definitely go again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Shiraz0001

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at the end of September as a stop off going North, and a base to explore East Lothian and the Borders.
The room was clean and comfortable, though a little tired with mismatched furniture.
The plumbing and fan in the en-suite were incredibly noisy and a little more heat in the radiator would have been nice after a walk along the cliffs.
The food was a little variable, our Sunday dinner was, to be honest, average.
The Halibut was a touch overdone and dry, and we thought close to £15 for Roast Beef and Yorkshire pud was expensive.
Second nights meal was much better, creamy chicken and asparagus en croute, with the asparagus still having a crunch, and very tasty pork tenderloin with Stornoway black pudding.
On the 3rd night we enjoyed Lamb and Lobster dishes and they were exceptionally good.
The specials board didn't change much during our stay.
Breakfasts on all three mornings were very good with a good selection to choose from.
The bar is well stocked and reasonably priced.
The staff were very helpful, cheerful and attentive to our needs and were happy to provide more tea bags and fresh milk to keep us going.
Next time we stay at the Rocks we will try to book room 4 which looked rather nice, with excellent views and a touch of luxury.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hobbit64
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

My wife and I visited The Rocks this week for the first time for a birthday meal.
We had an excellent meal. The menu has a great selection and all of our food was delicious. Service was very friendly and attentive and at a relaxed pace. Make sure you save space for a trio of deserts!!
The bill was about £60 for three courses and alcoholic drinks for two. Given the standard of food and service I thought this was excellent value.
We'll be back. I can't believe we haven't visited before now!

• Stayed September 2013
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Stayed here as a couple and I must say the food was fabulous. It was beautiful to look out over the sea. Staff are all very friendly and helpful. We were served efficiently and made to feel very welcome. Good value for money and the rooms are clean and tidy. Only downside I could see was that perhaps the rooms could do with a little updating

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Howwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Stayed here for a quick overnight as had a meeeting nearby. I booked last minute so got the last room available, a single. When I arrived there were no staff around, had to wait until someone appeared as there is no obvious reception area or bell.

I was given Room 11 and shown the back stairwell to get there as I was told the room was easier to find that way, however, it gave a bad first impression as you have to go half way into the kitchen area to get to the back stairwell and the carpet was stained and dirty. The room itself was freezing cold, it looks like the window doesn't shut properly and it was particularly cold and windy September day. After a quick look round I noticed the carpet was disgustingly dirty, bits all over and matted hair by the bathroom door. The window sill was also covered in dead insects and dirt, the kettle and phone was dusty. I went downstairs to enquire about this, figuring it must be an oversight, a room they don't use often that hadn't been cleaned properly. The person I spoke to looked concerned and apologised and moved me to Room 9, which was better but still in need of a good clean, needless to say I didn't take my socks off!

In Room 9 there is a single bed, bedside cabinet, chair and small wardrobe, there is a small en-suite in need of serious updating accessed by an old sliding door. The fan in the bathroom is very noisy and the heater in there didn't appear to work. However, the bathroom was much cleaner than the room in general and the shower was great. There was a radiator in the room but I couldn't get it to work. The bed was surprisingly comfortable but could do with some mattress protectors so you're not sleeping on a sheet directly on the mattress.

I was a bit worried about the food given the room but dinner was extremely good, I had the paella. Those dining with me had the roast beef which they also said was very good. The service was fast and the prices very reasonable. Breakfast was a bit of a let down, I came down at 9.20 (they stop serving at 9.30), everything had been cleared away already but the waitress offered me cereal and fresh fruit. The cooked food I think had been sitting too long though, I was served far too quickly for it to have been cooked from fresh just then, the haggis was dry and tasteless. A shame considering food the night before.

So in summary I would return here for food but definitely not to stay overnight unless there was been a refurbishment. You could spend a little money on the rooms and make a big difference to people's experience. Even just investing in a good vacuum would be a start!

Room Tip: Room 11 and 9 are both small singles, no desks for working at. If available, pay out for a larger ro...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank TeenieWahine
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We've had dinner twice in one week at the Rocks and both times, the food and service were top notch - I can't fault this place, its food nor its staff. Yes, it's further for us to travel than if we were popping down to our "local" but the food at the Rockss so much tastier and the staff so much "nicer" there is no contest. Keep up the good work :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
North Berwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Living locally, we use the Rock for both special occasions such as Hogmanay as wells as for a casual lunch or supper. The Bass real ale is always in good condition and then it is on to the food. The menu changes and always has excellent meat and sea food. The service is sharp, friendly and they are always up for the variations my vegetarian wife throws at them - something that many other restaurants provide with a poor grace. And talking of serving vegetarians there is always a veggie option on the menu and they are always happy to serve double starters for mains and if you can't make up your mind as to whether to have the roast lamb or roast beef, then they will save your further agonizing and give you both, plus the Yorkshire pudding with either. They are that sort of accommodating place.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunbar
Dunmuir Hotel
Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux
No. 12 Quality Street B&B
No. 12 Quality Street B&B
#2 of 5 in North Berwick

Been to The Rocks? Share your experiences!