“Old hotel, well kept”
Review of The Rocks

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dunbar
The Rocks
Ranked #1 of 6 Dunbar B&B and Inns
“Old hotel, well kept”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Our room was quiet, facing a huge soccer field. It was clean though small. Hotel staff was very helpful with questions, suggestions, and friendly attitude. Our evening meal in the restaurant was quite delicious. Staff was justifiably proud of the local brew which was excellent. Our complimentary breakfast was ample, tasty, with many choices. Pamela, our morning server and hotel manager was gregarious and helpful and went way out of her way to do us a special favor with our luggage. We ran into her in the next town and she treated us like personal friends! Hotel setting is near the sea and very scenic.

Room Tip: We did not see other rooms but were quite happy with our west facing room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Munster, Germany
Reviewed 5 August 2014

While travelling in Scotland this summer, we took a look at the pleasent litlle port of Dunbar. It was Sunday and it was very quite. We took a walk along the water front, which takes you along the cliffs and the old Castle, which is now in ruines. Very picturesque. We then looked for somewhere to have lunch, and were lucky indeed to come acrose THE ROCKS. When we entered it was a very warm day, and the dinning room was nearly full, it was then we desided it was not for us, until a frendly voice said "looking for some where cooler to eat your lunch, you can read minds I said. Come with me, he took us down a small passage past the kitchen, then through a side door, and there it was, a lovely Little walled terrace. In a place only those in the know would have found. The roast Beef was just has it should be and plenty of it, followed with strawberries and ice cream, washed down with a pint of Best. I know for sure that whenever I am in the area again I will head for the Rocks of Dunbar.

Room Tip: I don´t think you can go wrong here.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here for a single night on the Coast & Castles cycle route. We arrived at about 18:15..soaked..but to a warm Scottish welcome. The bikes were safely stowed away & a table had been reserved for us. It needed to be..the place was rammed. The evening meal was very good. We had some great seafood and perfect venison. The puddings were good too. The service throughout our stay was exceptional without ever being fussy.
Our 2 rooms were at the top of the hotel. They were very small but smart and fine for a single overnight stay. There was no noise at all. Awoke to glorious sunshine and a good breakfast. The only gripe was 8:30 being a bit late for cyclists on their way to Edinburgh.
Would definitely stay again. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: There is wi-fi....but our rooms were possibly out of range.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Longniddry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Stopped for lunch and was impressed, good lunch time menu, really nice setting and stunning view, the service was fine and the food was of a decent standard. I would recommended a visit to anyone in Dunbar.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Helen M
Edwinstowe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I must admit, I've had warmer welcomes, having said that, it was the person behind the bar who was actually busy with customers both serving drinks and taking restaurant bookings when I first went in. Having said that, it went something like "Are you here to book in?", "Yes please" I said, enthusiastically after my 5 hour drive. "Follow me", he instructed, and we went to a sort of dimly-lit reception table where he checked my name and gave me a key. "Is it room 6 or 9?" I asked. "9". "Where is it please?"..."Upstairs, they're all upstairs and they're all numbered...." Silence. "I'll go take a look upstairs then!" So, welcome to the Rocks!

The room was small, but an ok size for one night away on business. It was clean (apart from the chair) and the shower was excellent, just what I needed. However, I sat on the bed and nearly sank to the floor, very little support here and I later found the springs kept "boinging" every time I moved during the night. The bedding made up for it and I eventually convinced myself that it would be fine for the night.

I took a walk into town on the evening and sampled a few local pubs. Back at the Hotel later, I was soon to bed, with regular wake up calls from the bed springs.

Morning came, and a completely different feel. I was greeted by a friendly face and nothing was too much trouble over breakfast which, by the way, was truly excellent. All freshly cooked and local produce. It was a treat. The person looking after me was really good and made sure that I had all I wanted, without getting in the way, as happens at other places.
I was truly tempted to dine here the previous night, but a look at the menu and specials board gave me the feeling that it was certainly aimed at seafood lovers. There was a few steak options, and lamb cutlets, but 75% was based around fish and fish-friends. I gather this place has a great reputation for food and, if breakfast was anything to go by, I'd certainly agree.
All in all, on payment, I thanked the staff for looking after me and thought it was certainly value for money. So, that was Dunbar. :)

Room Tip: 9 is ok for a "single traveller" for one night, but you must like a soft bed with little s...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Teflon1961
Helsingborg, Sweden
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Very nice hotel located in the sunny Dunbar. The staff is very serviceminded and fast, very warm and welcoming. The room had the best shower on our trip in Scotland but the beds need an improvement. Roomstandard is fully compensated by the nice and friendly staff. Views stunning with the coastal walk outside the hotel. Beutiful sunsets overlooking Bass Rock.Restaurant well worth a visit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
edinburgh
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Popped in here with a friend who has moved to Dunbar.
Sat in the Beer Garden to the rear, overlooking a lovely park & views over John Muir Country Park.
Great Setting.
Service was impeccable, especially when "Mein Host" Jim arrived & gave some restless kids homemade tablet & crisps, really settled them down.
Don't visit Dunbar much, as haven't really found anywhere comfortable, BUT the ROCKS has changed this.
Will visit again soon.

Room Tip: book early, as is usually full
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank bigkgr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunbar
Dunmuir Hotel
#2 of 5 in North Berwick
The Folly
The Folly
#5 of 5 in North Berwick

Been to The Rocks? Share your experiences!