“Terrible room, friendly staff and good food”

Bayswell Park Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dunbar
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Terrible room, friendly staff and good food”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

There appears to be quite a difference in the reviews on this hotel, which seem to be based on room type.....avoid the single rooms at all costs. While I don't mind basic, I expect a comfortable bed and a decent shower, particularly at £79 per night, neither of which I got. This 'newly renovated room' had peeling wallpaper on one side and plaster showing through the very inadequate painted wall on the other, there were burns on the carpet and in general the furniture was a bit flimsy. The floor of the room is uneven, dipping into the centre of the room, which makes you feel as if you are going to fall out of bed. The bathroom was atrocious....the suite was very old, the shower was a trickle, you had to choose between heat or power...I complained about this, they said they fixed it but they hadn't. Also attempts at renovation in the bathroom was fitting the old green toilet with a 'new' white seat, the lid of which would not stay up. The thing that i really couldn't believe however, was the lack of a cooked breakfast on a SUNDAY......I was not told this when the room was booked or when I checked in......and I find this beyond belief, particularly as there was no reduction in room price for lack of decent breakfast. While the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful and the cooked food, when you did manage to get some, was very good, the hotel is badly let down by terrible state of the significantly over priced single rooms. If I had paid half the price I would have said I got what I paid for, but at £79 a night, it was daylight robbery.

Room Tip: Avoid room 16 at all costs.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Bristol
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I would agree with most of the comments here. This hotel has the most splendid views from the sea facing bedrooms but my single room was very basic and lacked charm. The breakfast was on the scanty side and did not have all the options listed on the menu. The towels were thin and there seems to be one hair dryer for everybody!!!! Apart from this the staff were cheery and welcoming.

Room Tip: choose a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank slamlucy
York
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This was a very last minute booking and from the initial conversation to our departure the staff were excellent, very professional and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble and they found us a hair dryer and an umbrella!!
The hotel location is stunning and our room had the most wonderful sea view through big bay windows.
We had dinner in the hotel on our first night, with a table by the window. The food and service were very good.
Had we been asked on departure if we had enjoyed our stay I would have said yes very much, with two constructive comments:
1. the cleaner did not replace the toiletries or loo roll and I had to go and search out my own.
2. breakfast on the second day was very disappointing, even though they knew we were vegetarian and provided veggie sausages the first morning they had run out. That would have been ok if they had provided an extra egg or more mushrooms but they did not.
I would like to have been able to give 5*'s as the management and staff are really trying to make this hotel work. I liked the slightly old fashioned feel to the hotel and the atmosphere was very good, the staff work really hard and obviously enjoy working there.

Room Tip: Book early and get a sea view. Even though we were told ours did not have a view it did which was a...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PolandYourWay
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We arrived late Saturday afternoon during the open, and due to a mistake completely of our own making we weren't actually booked in for the night. However, the staff at reception were very helpful and gave us their last room at normal rates instead of The Open rates due to the lateness of our arrival. The room was bright and clean and very comfortable. We then had to leave very early the next day, and even though we were an hour and a bit early for any breakfast we were very kindly offered tea or coffee before we left. If I had to say anything negative, I would say the decor was a little dated, however it did look like some decoration was taking place in the hotel. This certainly wouldn't put us off returning-great location and fabulously friendly staff!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah G
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 May 2013 via mobile

Room was clean and comfortable. Staff friendly and accommodated our bicycles in their garage. Breakfast was nothing flash but all you need. A very good basic hotel for a short stopover. Happy to recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank paul h
London
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Such a shame as owner has obviously tried to update place but would have been better to spend money on cleaning and fixtures rather than spa bath which wasn't very clean, old fashioned furniture and towels which were yellow when they should have been white. No remote for TV, dirty windows didn't help. That said, breakfast was ok and bed linen new.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank suek94

Travellers are raving about these Dunbar hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2013

My wife and 3yr old daughter had an overnight stay at the Bayswell Hotel. First impressions were promising. Externally the hotel looked lovely from the outside, we also had anexcellent welcoming from a male member of staff.

Our rooms were poor: Child bed was horrific. Leaky shower and urine stains under the toilet seat.

This hotel is not for families. My daughter and I got woken up at 1.30am by a drunk couple outside our room having a conversation for half an hour. There was also what appeared to be empty gas cannisters in the beer garden which is a shame as this area was the highlight of the hotel. The view to the sea was outstanding.

We had to wait for 50 mins for our breakfast to arrive which they got the order wrong and the quality of food itself was disgusting.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Andotron
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunbar
Dunmuir Hotel
The Folly
The Folly
#5 of 5 in North Berwick
Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux

Been to Bayswell Park Hotel? Share your experiences!