“spoilt family Wedding”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Flint
Chester, United Kingdom
“spoilt family Wedding”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Having attended a Family wedding at Mountain Park, i left unimpressed,the room family members had the bed/bedding and room, looked clean but in the Bathroom the toilet seat was unfixed the tiles when wet became slippy.
The vows were nice to watch,it then took 3 1/2 hours to get the room changed for the sit down meal,which was dark /muddy green leek and potato soup served with cooked frozen bread rolls.
Next came 2 pieces of chicken wrapped in tasteless bacon covered in a brown sauce with 2 pieces of mushroom in it tasting of satay,under cooked green beans with salsa sauce over them,pulverized carrots so i was told tasteless, then a pan fried potato 4in x 2 is oblong undercooked raw in the middle.
The sweet was cheesecake ,the base was soggy the cheese stuck to the roof of the mouth ,the strawberry sauce tasted like the ice cream sauce.,the champagne was sour.
The whole meal lacked taste and flavors.
The tea and coffee were hot.
I noticed other people pushing the food around their plates

The staff worked hard but lacked leadership everything took so long
whilst waiting with a drink in the bar the TV is not in focus
Knowing how much had been spent well need i say more a complete failure.

If you are looking for a wedding venue go else where please.
A lot of improvements need to be made,and stop playing at running a Hotel.

Room Tip: rooms by the car park are quieter
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ban12450

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Poole, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

We booked this hotel for 2 nights as three of us were on a business trip in North Wales. We found the hotel quite easily and there is plenty of parking.

The rooms are in a courtyard and some face the golf course.

On arrival it took quite a long time to check in and there was some confusion as to whether three rooms had been booked. My room was facing the golf course and the receptionist walked me round to the room as it was a bit gloomy and I would have felt a bit uncomfortable walking there on my own.

The room was up a metal staircase and when I got inside the electric would not come on as the receptionist had not given me the key to go in the slot to make it work so I had t go back to reception again.

Eventually I got into the room which had a bathroom on the right had side of the entrance. There was a roof light which was the only window. The mirror was opposite the basin which was not very convenient. The shower was up over the bath and to get hot water I had to run the taps for about 15 minutes, I did wonder if I was actually going to have a shower. When I did use the shower a lot of water went on the floor. The heated towel rail did not get hot - ever. On the ceiling there was a snail.

In the room I found more wildlife as there was a dead fly on the bed cover. The TV did not work and the heating made a rattling noise. I tried to close the blinds over the two sky lights in the bedroom but the cloth would not stay within the runners and light could get through which was a bit irritating.

In the bar the staff were really friendly and helpful. We ordered food and drinks and we were really pleased with what we got. The sausage and mash was delicious and the portion was huge.

Breakfast in the morning was upstairs in the restaurant and it was quite dark up there. Again the staff were friendly and the breakfast was really good.

On the second evening we ordered a club sandwich and once again the food was excellent. The staff again were lovely, provided lots of helpful local information and assisted us in using the free wifi.

The following morning for breakfast I asked for Earl Grey tea and was amazed to be told that they didn't have any!

Check out was an experience and there was a total muddle with our three bills which we wanted to settle separately and it took about 25 minutes to sort out.

This place has got great potential but there is quite a lot of room for improvement.

Room Tip: If you don't like walking in the dark or you are on your own make sure you get a room facing the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank AngieP49
Dwygyfylchi, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Having eaten here 6 Months ago, and id have to be honest and say the food wasnt the best, Toasties, Jackets and Frozen Cod ! Me and my wife decided to revisit Mountain Park Hotel on the Way home from an afternoon Christmas shopping in Chester.

When we walked in, it looked amazing, The bar looked more modernised and the christmas decorations were up, so we sat down to look at a menu.

I Decided to have the Chefs own Steak and Guiness pie, And my wife had the fresh beer battered cod, it was delicious, From talking to the waitress she told me that the place was under new management, Aparently he comes from a nice place further down the coast and intends to make changes !! Home cooked food on the menu , nice ambiance and in general a cleaner looking place. Id Say progress. The best of luck.

We Will be back next time we are in the area

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

A hotel in a stunning location, lovely looking golf course and on arrival we thought, this looks good, plenty of parking - thats the positives.
We had been travelling a lot on saturday - came to Wales to watch the WRC rally, had a great day, but we were all very tired and hungry. Receptionist (Male) took ages to book us in, did not seem to know what he was doing, eventually got our key, our room was the right round the back - Room 21 - metal stairs to climb up - no outside lights - outside door stuck, but eventually got in. Room looked pleasant and clean. Kettle for a cuppa - great, but the only way it would work was for me to press the kettle down on to the base, which became impossible when it got towards boiling point, luke warm tea!! The bathroom was on a slope -( I had not been drinking!!) The TV did not work, well it did for 5 mins then turned off! The bed was so uncomfortable, the shower leaked so much my husband had to mop up the water with his towel.
We were booked in for a meal at 7pm, told we had to eat in the bar as the restaurant had a wedding - we didn't mind this,there were 11 of us - 2 vegetarians. Our order was taken, I ordered Chicken Korma, to be told they didnt have any, the two vegetarians were told they did not have any vegetarian food as they had changed their menu/chef and they didnt have any vegetarian meals on the menu - they didn't want to put any new dishes on as they wanted to use up the old food first!!!!! One vegetarian chose a cheese sandwich and chips, the other baked potato, cheese, coleslaw and beans - he got baked potato with coleslaw - told they did not have any beans !! To cut a very long story short the food was dire - undercooked 'seasonal vegetables' - carrots, two meals that came a good 20 minutes after the rest, the manager was less than helpful and the waiter was downright rude and had an attitude. Needless to say we did not pay for any of our meals.
Breakfast was upstairs in the restaurant - very dark and did not looked like it was used very often, a pair of mens shoes under a table and a overnight bag on a chair - possibly been used as a changing room for the wedding? We waited nearly an hour to get our breakfasts, the same waiter with the most dreadful attitude again, I asked for beans on toast it took nearly half an hour to make it, but I did get beans on toast - intrigued to know where they managed to get beans from at that time on a sunday morning when they didn't have any beans the night before?
Someone needs to take this hotel in hand, retrain the manager and waiter and chefs,it has the potential to be a lovely venue, what a pity we had to experience such poor attitudes and service.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Betty H

Travellers are raving about these Flint hotels

North Wales, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

A Hotel in a lovely Location with stunning views, not to big as we are planning a small Event with Family and Friends, shame about the Staff, who let you down on a regular Basis (3 times in my case).

On the 3rd. October I was silly enough to send an email to the Mountain Park Hotel to ask if they are having a Wedding Fayre as I am planning my forthcoming Wedding.
(please read conversation below)
--- Dear Sir or Madam, as i am looking for a Venue for my wedding, i would like to enquire if you have a Wedding Fayre coming up in your Hotel. A Reply would be highly appreciated. Best Regards, N.
-- Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding. Thank you for interest in our hotel. We do not have a wedding fayre coming up, however, if you can come up to the hotel we would happy to discuss your requirements and show you around the hotel and it beautiful grounds. Kind Regards Vicky
--- Thank you very much for your Reply. Do you have any Wedding Package / Brochure you could send me by Email ? When would be the best day to speak to your Wedding Coordinator ? What about next Wednesday after 5.30 pm.? Cheers N.
After this email I didn’t get another reply and on Wednesday 9th. October I walked into the Hotel with my Fiancé to see and discuss what they can offer us.

Vicky on Reception was not very friendly, mentioning that she should have gone home at 4 pm and now its later than 5 pm and she has to pick up her Kids and she has got no time to show us around, explain and answer any questions, so we have to rearrange it. Not the best start I thought to myself but we left her with my Fiancé’s Mobile Phone Number and a Date (suggested by Vicky) of Sunday, 13th. Oct 8 pm.

On Sunday, 13th. Oct as arranged we walked into the Hotel at 8 pm to find no one at Reception.
As we walked towards the Bar a young Girl (who didn’t introduce herself) was behind the Bar. She said that (apparently) Vicky has phoned us several times to cancel the Appointment, by which my Fiancé checked his Mobile Phone to find NO missed calls.
The young girl was very apologetic and asked if she could take our Phone Number again (this time we gave her 2 Mobile Phone Numbers, just to be on the safe side) to pass on to Vicky in the morning and handed us some “Information Material” which Vicky had put together for us. This so called “Information Material” was 4 pieces of white A4 Paper with no letterhead and no pricing for food and one page of “Freebies” the Hotel is offering us which included things like a dedicated Wedding Coordinator and white Table Linen. (Yes of course, I expect white Table Linen as a minimum on my Wedding Day!)

On Tuesday, 15. Oct at 9 am I finally got a call back from Vicky, apologising that she could not make the Appointment on Sunday due to some Family Emergency and she has phoned several times the Mobile Phone Number but could not get through to us, although our phone was on all day and night. She asked me if we could Re-Schedule for Sunday, 4th. Nov at 6 pm (suggested by Vicky), as there is a new Manager (which Name she never gave me in this Conversation) starting on Monday, 28. Oct and she wanted to give him a week to get himself familiar with the Hotel and he will be our dedicated Wedding Coordinator and talk us through the Hotel facilities, the Wedding Planning and everything else. Ok I thought to myself, fair enough, everybody has a Family and things can go wrong, let’s give this another Chance. Then……………………….

On Sunday, 04. Nov at 6 pm we drove into the Car Park of the Hotel and as we walk towards the Hotel, I saw the Function Room completely in the dark, which I thought was a bad sign, and I was proven to be right.
Again, no one at Reception, we walked towards the Bar to find again the young Girl (whose name I still do not know). We mentioned that we are here to see the Manager, and she asked: Paul?. If this is his name then yes that is who we have come to see. He was not in the Building and he is not giving out his Number, therefore he cannot be contacted. She was trying to phone someone else to get hold of Vicky, who’s Number she obviously has not got either (so she said). The young Girl eventually checked the Reservation Book to find that we had an Appointment at 6 pm (it stated in the book: N****** to see Vicky). The young girl, again, was very apologetic, saying that she can’t do anything about this and she is only the Bar Girl who can’t show us around and answer questions we may have.

By this Point, my Blood was boiling and I really had to pull myself together not to explode there and then. I have asked for the Owners Name and Address so I can write a FORMAL LETTER OF COMPLAINT, to which I was advised to address it to the Hotel and they will pass it on.
I was not born yesterday and I can imagine what will happen to the Letter if it arrives at the Hotel: ABSOLUTE NOTHING !

I will however find the address of the owner and I will write my formal letter of complaint directly to him. This Hotel has wasted 4 weeks of our Wedding Planning , 3 Appointments (2 of them were suggested by Vicky) where we just wasted our time by being disappointed, sent home with little or no information at all.
If I was to compare this Hotel to Faulty Towers, then this would be an insult to them, who I assume would be able to make 1 out of 3 Appointments.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Nat-Shel0815
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

I attended my friends wedding on the 20th of september, we all had a excellent day, lovely scenery, nice venue. There was one lady in charge, Jane was so helpful and lovely, an asset to the business, a credit to all the hard work especially when there was no mananger or events coordinater managing the day, when we went for breakfast the next morning, unbelievably the same staff were back there to welcome us, still after just finishing at 3 in the morning, beautiful cooked breakfast by the chef also a asset to the business, defiantly book a venue there again.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank adamjones653
Spalding, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

We only stayed here for 1 night after spending the day at Chester Zoo. As we arrived here in the evening, we went straight to our room and then to get a bite to eat in the Bar, the staff were very friendly and welcoming, the service was quick and the location was fab. I do not play golf myself but was very nice to see the course and the clean surroundings.

The place seemed busy (which is always a good sign) with a party going on in the events rooms and the football on in the main bar which created a nice atmosphere.. (Even tho I'm not a fan myself)

Great ending to a busy day with a nice bottle of wine to relax into the night.

The next morning we ate breakfast in the restaurant upstairs. The decor was great, very oriental and relaxing while we scoffed on our full English breakfasts. A great send off ready for our 5 hours journey home.

Well done guys!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank GavAmie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Flint
Beaufort Park Hotel
Springfield Hotel & Health Club
Springfield Hotel & Health Club
#1 of 1 in Pentre Halkyn
Northop Hall Country House Hotel
Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)
Soughton Hall Hotel
Soughton Hall Hotel
#1 of 3 in Northop
Ruthin Castle Hotel

Been to Mountain Park Hotel? Share your experiences!