Somerton Lodge Hotel
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
US$190
US$171
All reviewsisle of wightstayed for one nightbreakfast was excellentshower cubicledouble roomrecommend this hoteldining roompublic areasbed was comfortableoff road parkingfull englishgood sizethe ground floorshort walkmy mumnothing is too much troubleevening meal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Very pleasant comfortable hotel. The decor could do with a little updating in the rooms which are a bit small but very clean and perfectly adequate. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the food in the restaurant is all homemade, very good and excellent value for money. We enjoyed our four night stay here and would have no hesitation in staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Like many others, I have no idea why some people are giving this place bad reviews. Most people seem to focus on the bedroom, but mine was excellent, clean and well decorated with a good, firm bed. More importantly the staff were fantastic, from the helpful guy who met me late at night and gave me a tour of the property to the lovely staff serving the excellent breakfast. And the value for money (i paid £33 for my double room and delicious breakfast) is unbeatable.

Yes, the car park could be better, but what a weird thing to focus on when you have all the above!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 July 2011

This is the worst hotel I have stayed in. The room was dreadful. The car park which was boasted about is little more than a piece of waste ground at the back of the hotel strewn with bits of wood and boxes containing toilets. I worried for the tyres and suspension of my car.
Yes the greeting was friendly enough but oh boy the room was pitiful. (No 5)
The net curtains of the little tiny window looking out over the waste ground car park were so filthy that they would probably fall to bits if washed. The room was so small that you had to duck under the tv to get to the window. The furniture was cheap and mismatched and the hangers are still leftovers from shops and dry cleaners. We didn't even bother to unpack. There was a light bulb gone in the tiny bedroom and the bathroom (?) was little more than a cupboard with a disgusting old shower with black mould and grime. The towels were the cheapest and the smell in the room was awful - we had to sleep with the window open all night just to get a breath of fresh air.
Breakfast was ok but down to a price not up to a standard, and any hotel that puts fruit juice on the evening meal menu as a starter is having a laugh. That went out in the 70's which is where this hotel is still residing.

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Crystal_50_7
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I stayed here in February to help my Mum find a house to buy in the Isle of Wight, she had not been to this area before and Shanklin is a nice town, I am sure its busy in the summer but in February it was nice and quiet.

The hotel was easy to find and had car parking, we were met by the owner and shown to our rooms, everything you could want was there, an en-suite shower, Tea & Coffee making, plenty of hanging and storage space plus it all looked clean. My room was at the side of the property and apart from some noise from a family in the next room (noisy Kids!) it was quiet.

Breakfast was excellent and for the price, you could not fault it. Special mention to the owner who whilst keeping busy running the place always stopped for a friendly chat.

Next time I will stay there without hesitation.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 April 2011

I stayed here Mon - Fri for eight weeks in March - April while working on the island. Reading some of the other reviews it makes me wonder what people want for their money! I always found the owners/staff friendly and helpful. The rooms and hotel areas are kept very clean, there is free wi-fi and a small bar/tv room where you can relax with a reasonably priced drink. In short if you are on a budget look no further.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business