“lovely time with no problems at all!!!”

Eastmount Hall Hotel
Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Shanklin
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Just got back and had a really lovely time. The staff were very helpful, polite and cheery. Room was very clean and neat. lovely wide choice of food for beakfast and 3 course for dinner. Although the decor may appear a little old fashioned it was by no means tatty or old looking. We would definately go back we thought the hotel was lovely.....such a great choice!!!!

thank you everyone at Eastmount!!!

Roy and Helen

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mrs_badger71

Reviewed 17 April 2011

Gill & her staff were very friendly and went out of their way to make us all feel welcome. Nothing was too much trouble.The added bonus of a heated pool was nice and kept my daughter occupied in the morning and before dinner. Food was very good and varied with 5 courses available in the evening. The family room we stayed in was roomy with plenty of hot water for showers.
No complaints and very good value for money. Thanks

Room Tip: Good family hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2011

My wife and I had a 3 day break and both felt the hotel could not be faulted.
The staff were most friendly and could not do enough for you.
A good choice of food on the evening menu and to be greeted by an excellent cream tea was the "icing on the cake" so to speak
Well done "Eastmount"

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2011

The service was excellent right from the time we arrived. When we arrived we had a cream tea which was a lovely way to start the holiday. Our room had a lovely view of the sea, which was to nice to wake up to. The home cooked food is very nice and there is a children's menu is needed. The location of this Hotel is good close to the town and the beach is a 10 minute walk away. My children love the heated outdoor Swimming Pool it is like getting into a bath.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 October 2010

My family and I have just returned from another happy and relaxing visit to The Easmount Hall Hotel in Shanklin. Yet again we found that from the first cheery greeting we received from Jill on our arrival (Accompanied by a great cream tea!) everything was done to ensure that we had a pleasant, relaxing and enjoyable stay. Jill, Julian and Sue really do have a great system geared to guest care and satisfaction and this beats most of the hotels we have visited on the Continent and across the States. We always visit confident in the knowledge that all will be done by Jill and her team to provide a memorable time and we look forward to further return trips in the future.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2010

we are semi disabled people
and we where greeted on arrival with a very friendly smile from every one who where working at the hotel
the evening meal was delicious
the dining room very clean with a friendly atmosphere
the breakfast was brilliant and lasted all day
the couple that own the hotel where very very nice people and most helpful
if you wanted anything they would stop and do it straight away instead of having to wait
we have been to hotels that say they will fix it and never do but this one was the best by far

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ORAC60
Reviewed 12 September 2010

We booked at the Eastmount having read the other reviews, and we really wanted to come back and write a similar 'glowing' review of the hotel but I just can't find it in me.

Our initial impression of the hotel was that it was a bit 'fawlty towers'. Dated communual areas, guests smoking outside the front door as you walked in (why not have a designated smoking area somewhere where people don't have to walk through?) and a really stale smell as you walk in. The only positive was that the staff all seemed really pleasant and the lady that showed us to our room was exceptionally lovely.

We were given the choice of rooms, but told the 'Indian room' was one of the nicest - so we opted for that. What a mistake! The room was tiny and absolutely stank of stale smoke. We couldn't even out our clothes in the wardrobe as somene had obviously put their smoky clothes in there and it stank.

The carpets and decor were so dated. They've obviously tried to update it into an 'Indian theme' and granted the funiture is lovely, but the mustard yellow paint on the walls was badly done, with patches on the chip board wall covering and mustard splashes all over the white ceiling - heavens knows who painted the room. The carpet was dirty and didn't look well hoovered so we both walked round in our shoes for fear of getting our feet dirty. There was dust on the bedhead, wardrobe tops and cobwebs on the ceiling. The curtains were also hanging off the pole and as they were only voile material, were completely insufficient for keeping the light out. We had to keep the windows wide open all night, despite it being chilly, just because the strong smell of stale smoke made us both feel ill.

The bathroom is also dated with crummy toilet paper from a yellowing plastic dispenser, hooks hanging off the walls and the strongest smell of hardcore bleach when you walk in (at least it was clean)!.

I hate to say this as the lady who showed us to our room was so lovely, but this is probably the worst hotel I've stayed in. My advice would be to redecorate and get rid of the god-awful stale smoke smell that's enough to put anyone off. Plus, I'd probably have a strong word with the cleaners who clearly are not doing their job properly. Such a shame!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sunhols
janeShewsbury, Manager at Eastmount Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2010

First let me apologise that your short break with us did not meet your expectations. Reading your other reviews it is obvious that you are used to 4 and 5 star hotels in luxury resorts like Dubia so I can understand that our 2 star hotel on the Island would seem a bit more basic.

My main concern is your comments about our cleanliness. Since the other two comments earlier this year we have been extra vigilant about our housekeeping, the chambermaids have not been allowed to leave before either myself or Susie (my Assistant Manager) have inspected them thoroughly so we cannot understand how your carpet could have looked in such a state but then you also said that it was an old tatty carpet when in fact is is only 2 years old, put down at the same time as I bought the Indian furniture.

I am also mystified by this smell of heavy smoke. People don't smoke in our hotel. We are a non smoking family so can smell smoke easily and I can't smell any smoke in the room, I even put my head in the wardrobe but all I could smell was a faint but pleasant scent of the natural wood. Maybe this is what you could smell.

The curtain rail seemed to have fixed itself and the curtains turned back into satin not voile. I'm not sure what was so crummy about the toilet paper, I'm sure it is just standard white toilet roll used in standard dispensers throughout the uk.

I'm pleased you found our service to be of standard but it is a pity you couldn't have felt that you could have mentioned your observations to us while you were here. I will say now that if any of our guests find as much as a miniscule of dust or the slightest whisp of a spiders web then just mention it and me or Susie will be on it like a dart! One thing we can't do though is stomp around telling our guests where outside they can or can't smoke. The garden has ashtrays on each table and there is an ashtray on the wall outside the front door where there is a covered porchway - live and let live we say.

Our lounge and hallways were all re carpeted, the walls decorated with Italian wallpaper and a new dance floor put in along with new curtains, chairs, tables and bar stools, could it really be old tatty and dated in just four years?

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
#1 of 51 in Shanklin
Carlton Hotel
Carlton Hotel
#7 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to Eastmount Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!