“Family Christmas Break”

Eastmount Hall Hotel
Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Shanklin
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My husband, myself and our three daughters have just spent another lovely Christmas at the Eastmount. We arrived once again to a warm welcome from the lovely Jill.
The hotel was all Christmassy with sherry and mince pies for everyone on arrival. We had two rooms which were spacious warm and cosy and even had a sea view.
Meals were perfect with plenty to fill your plate and the puddings were delicious with cheese, biscuits and coffee to follow.
Staff were all polite and friendly.
Santa Claus and his elf arrived on Christmas day with presents for all. There was the Boxing Day treasure hunt which you could take part in or just sit back and relax, with a glass of mulled wine and chocolate log waiting when you returned.
This is a very friendly hotel with many friendly guests that I can highly recommend for Christmas if you want to sit back, relax and not lift a finger.
from
The Knights

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank geoff k

Reviewed 26 October 2013

We have stayed at the hotel 5 times now and will be returning again next year. We always receive a lovely friendly welcome of Jill and all her staff. The room we stay in is spacious and always cleaned to a high standard. The food is excellent and all home cooked by julian and Jamie. We feel Jill,Julian and their staff can not do enough for you and would recommend their hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This was our second stay here. First the positives. The hotel is well situated and clean. The staff are friendly and accomodating particularly the young men and women working in the restaurant. The cream tea on arrival is a nice touch. We stayed for a week over the summer in room 1. Now for the negatives. The room had a bunk bed which needs replacing. Everytime our young son moved a muscle the bed would creak and groan and so we were kept awake all night. In the end he had to sleep on the floor just so he could get some sleep. The bathroom had no window and was very small. It was however clean and the towels were replaced each day. We were woken up by the noise of the people using the toilet or running a bath in the room above us. The room had a very large window but with only a very small opening part. In the event of an emergency we could not have escaped the room via the window. Indeed I could not even reach the window opener as it was so high up. My 6ft husband had to stand on a chair just to get the window open a crack and even then there was no breeze. It was unbearably hot and the windows appeared to be original single glazed units so everytime the hotel opposite had their music on, we were kept awake until gone 11pm. When travelling with two young children this should have been pointed out. There was no surface space in the room. The small chest of drawers had a tea tray and various other items on it so everything had to go on the floor. There wasn't even space to stand a glass. The television could not be viewed from the bunk bed so if the children wanted to watch something we all had to be on the main bed which was incidentally so hard that it took a couple of weeks for my back to stop aching after the holiday. The "heated" pool was cold. We went at the height of summer and if it's cold then, it must be freezing the rest of the year. When you read the information in the hotel brochure upon arrival it refers to the heating of the pool being an environmentally friendly system which basically means that the warmer the weather the better the heating works! I think that perhaps the advertisement of the heated pool should be made a little clearer. Finally the parking is very hit and miss. People park all over the place and think nothing of blocking one another in. We did however find parking on the road each night without too much trouble. I would emphasise that the owner is very nice as are the staff. We just need a little more for our money these days and we had a look at a couple of other local places where the accomodation was more comfortable with better in-room facilities and at a similar rate.

Room Tip: There is a family room on the ground floor which is much better for young families however it is nex...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Amanda A
Julian P, Owner at Eastmount Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us this year and I really wish you had said something to us at the time. We would have checked your bunk bed and fixed any squeaks (they are quite new but can take a lot of strain as children do like to use them as climbing frames).
We could have opened the windows for you and shown you how to swivel the TV round so your child could watch it in bed. We could have put your mind at rest about a fire and shown you the new fire alarm system we have had installed and the escape routes.
We were blessed with a lovely hot summer this year with very little breeze to blow through the open windows, but I’m sure you’ll agree much better than wind and rain. I would have given you a fan if you had asked and told the chambermaid to keep the curtains closed during the day.
I can’t stop the hotel over the road having entertainment but it rarely goes on past 10 o’clock and I have stopped doing entertainment myself so that there is no noise in the bar below when I have young families in.
There are no rooms above you so I can’t explain why you heard a bathroom being used above, similarly I don’t understand why you said there was no space to put even a glass down as there is a dressing table, bedside table and shelf running along the wall behind the bed which incidentally has a brand new pocket sprung mattress with memory foam topper exactly the same as you had last year.
The pool had the air source heat pump last year when you were here . I didn’t take the decision lightly to change but as a mother I’m sure you’ll agree that we all have a responsibility to the planet and it was the right thing to do. I purchased one that was meant for a pool three times bigger than ours and have been pleased with the results. In the four days you were here the temperature ranged from 27 – 28.5 degrees which is the average temperature of an outdoor pool. It possibly felt colder this year as it was so hot outside in comparison.
Finally I waived the sea view supplement and your youngest child came for free, we also operate a loyalty discount scheme giving customers who have visited twice 10% off so we firmly believe that we are very good value for money, backed up by winning a Trip Advisor best value hotel award for 2013.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We Have just had yet another First Class H/B stay at the Eastmount our Fourty Time. Jill & Jullian run this Hotel to perfection , some of the well known & larger Hotels should take a Leaf from them & there Staff to how it should be done.The Hotel is Friendly Welcoming, the Rooms are Very Clean Tidy & Confortable.The Food is Excellent the Breakfast can see you though to your Evening Meal then to the Bar to bring the Evening to a Close .Suzie & the Staff cannot do to much for you. Thanks to all the Eastmount Staff for a Great holiday . Brian.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BRIAN w
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Spent 3 nights here, very welcoming and accommodating, Jill - thank you for all your help/my nuisance requests! would definitely return again should I end up back on the IoW for work! breakfast on the last day was lovely too.

Main positives: Clean and tidy rooms, helpful staff/owner. its a hotel - it does its job well!

only negatives I can think of - rooms seem a TINY bit dated, but then no-one can expect a bang up to date room a) for the rate its priced at, b) can't be redecorating every year!. and the final 'killer' for me was the parking fiasco - perhaps it was because i was arriving late each evening, but there never seemed to be enough parking! my car was always out on the street - which wasn't an issue as its a nice place.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stayed at the Eastmount with friends from 03/10 to 06/10, a warm welcome from Jill.
Rooms were good and clean.
Meals were lovely and filling (apart from the strange concoction which was listed as lasagne, yet didn't contain any bolognese sauce, tomatoes, herbs, onion, cheese, or bechamel sauce and to add insult to injury it only had 1 lasagne sheet!) It was more like a cottage pie without gravy, or flavour!
This was the only problem we experienced, sadly we had all ordered it and were all disappointed.
We plan to return in the future, and will bring a homemade lasagne with us along with the recipe! lol
The bar prices were very reasonable but feel that low background music would have been a welcome addition.
We all agree that the Hotel was great, and Jill a 5 star hotelier!
The staff were all helpful and friendly too.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed for a week's holiday only wished we had stayed longer. Very welcoming staff, and could not do enough for us. Room very clean, their linen & towels were pristine white. The food was excellent.
Met up with some fabulous people where it was a laugh a minute. We hope to meet up again in the future with them all.
Did not have my favourite tipple but within the shake of a lamb's tail it was there.
Had a massage in the Spa Susan was excellent.
Thank You all especially to Jill & Adrian.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandria H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Luccombe Hall Hotel
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa
The Clifton
The Clifton
#4 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to Eastmount Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!