“Won't even return my call”

Eastmount Hall Hotel
Ranked #12 of 52 Hotels in Shanklin
London
“Won't even return my call”
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Having read the great reviews I contacted on Sunday to try and book up, I left a message and e mailed. I received an e mail back advising they could not make my dates, perhaps I could suggest some more dates. I duly replied mid Sunday afternoon.

I chased Monday by e mail and phone ... no response. I phoned Tuesday several times ... engaged. I phoned Wednesday ... it rang but then I was advised no-one was available to take my call and I could not leave a message.

It really should not be this hard to book a hotel. I think 80 hours to respond to an e mail or phone call is plenty enough.

Stayed July 2010
4 Thank geoff240376

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2010

The hotel was clean and bright. The owner was very warm and hospitable, providing a cream tea as soon as we were settled. As a mum on holiday with a lively 10 year old I was a bit concerned, but I didnt need to worry. My boy had to be bribed to get out the lovely warm pool. Jill had lots of ideas for things to do and the hotel is well placed for buses. The sea front is a five minute walk away and has all the stuff you would expect. The food was good, breakfast not too early and plenty of it. Dinners were well cooked and tasty, with plenty of choice, also lots of choices for kids. Staff were friendly and helpful and the cost was good value for money. This is a little gem.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
london
Reviewed 15 June 2010

We recently stayed at the Eastmount Hotel in Shanklin. I read the reviews of this hotel as i always do when i travel and it sounded marvellous. To be fair there are some posiitve comments to make. I will agree that the staff are lovely and very helpful and that food (stayed half board) was ample and wholesome. There is a choice of 2 meat dishes and always a veg option followed by dessert and you can help yourself to cheese and crackers, grapes and cofffee. The breakfasts are good with the usual choice of english breakfast etc. HOWEVER the cleanliness of the place leaves alot to be desired. From the moment we arrived for our 'cream tea' we had to ask for clean cups. The table next to us was full of dirty dishes and remained like that until we had finished even though it was empty in the lounge area.The room we stayed in was basic no other way to describe it which wouldn't have been bad if it had been clean. The shower had black mould round the taps. i stood on a massive toenail clipping on the carpet which i thought was rather disgusting. The place was not vacuumed the entire time we were there. The bed seriously smelt of dogs and as far as i was aware this was a pet -free hotel? There was also the constant smell of smoke in our room almost as if it was wafting in. The extractor fan in the bathroom was constantly on and made a whirring noise conitnually perhaps this was to extract the smell of tobacco and dog??O utside the window was the kids trampoline not condusive to a relaxing getaway!!! The bed linen towels and bed covers were very dated and looked like something out of the 1970's. Again this would have been fine if the room was clean. I ooked between the bed and the cupboard and it hadn't been dusted (ever?), there were thick cobwebs.You are allocated a table to eat your meals at: our table cloth still had the dirty gravy stained marks at breakfast and dinner the following day. We had a look round the pool area: there were weeds round the edges which gave the place a shabby feel. There was also an in door conservatory with a pool table which again looked tired and shabby. glasses and cups again round the table hadn't been collected. I personally feel that these things brought the hotel down. They really need to sort these things out as people who obviously like this hotel deserve better!!! friendly staff does not a good hotel make!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
janeShewsbury, Owner at Eastmount Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2010
I was obviously horrified when I read this review, we take great pride in the cleanliness of the place and never wish for anyone to have a less than perfect experience. I made the mistake of taking on a couple of younger girls, that week, who were less thorough than us older ones but after reading this review I have let them go and taken on 4 extra more mature women who have pulled the place apart looking for rouge cobwebs or mould.

I do think that the lady who wrote the review has exagerated everything. Our bedding is new, the sheets come in starched and ironed every week by a wonderful laundry and I replace hundreds of towels every year as they become spoilt so quickly they don't have chance to get worn. Both my manager and myself inspect the rooms before anyone goes in them and I cleaned the place from top to bottom in the spring myself so I know that between the bed and the wardrobe couldn't have had thick cobwebs.

We do occasionally let people bring small dogs but only very rarely so I really don't know why she thought she could smell dogs and no one every smokes in our bedrooms. She is right that we have a lot of repeat business who love this hotel but I am sure that they wouldn't come back every year if the place was dirty.
Wolverhampton
Reviewed 5 June 2010

Where to begin? This hotel is FANTASTIC.
We spent our honeymoon there, and from the initial enquiry, we received excellent customer service.

Jill and Julian, the owners, are lovely people. We were greeted at the door on arrival, and then helped in with our bags. Jill let us settle into our room, which was the honeymoon suite, and then showed us around before she gave us our complimentary cream tea, complete with clotted cream and homemade scones.

We were given the honeymoon suite, with jacuzzi and fourposter bed at no extra charge. The food in the hotel was wonderful, three courses for breakfast and dinner, and a great choice.

The location was great, very close to both the seafront and also Shanklin town, and the old village is in walking distance.

A lovely hotel, with heated swimming pool, table tennis and pool table, as well as a well stocked affordable bar. The staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful.

There is also a massage therapist working at the hotel one day a week, and she offers a £5 discount to hotel residents.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2010

My daughter, 6 year old grandson and myself stayed for a short break. Jill, Julian and the staff are really lovely, the best customer service I have come across to date, nothing is too much trouble and they go out of their way to help with any queries that their customers may have. My grandson is autistic and the staff were wonderful with him, even having a game of pool with him while we enjoyed our complimentary cream tea !
Breakfast was excellent, I told myself I wasn't going to have a full english every day but couldn't resist it !. Dinner was tasty, the only annoying thing was that I didn't get any of Julian's home made chips and had to contend with sneaking my grandsons !
We hope to return next year, it was so relaxing, thank you to the great staff.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 30 April 2010

I booked this hotel before Christmas as a birthday surprise for my husband. Not only did he not know he was going away until the day before, but he didn't know that our children and grandchildren would be arriving also. Right from the start Jill was extremely helpful - and kept my secret! The hotel is ideal for small children and we felt very comfortable being in a hotel with them. Our rooms were very nice - we had a splendid one leading out on to the terrace and pool. The breakfasts and dinners were delicious with a good selection of menu. Also two nice choices for my vegetarian daughter each evening. The wine list was very reasonable. The dining room staff couldn't have been more helpful. Jill also provided a birthday cake for my husband and a small one with a candle on the following day for our 3 year old grandson. The hotel is a short, delightful walk to the beach. We would certainly recommend the hotel for families holidaying on the Isle of Wight.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank shigel
fareham
Reviewed 21 April 2010

It took me a while to persuade my husband to take this break as he doesn't have the same love of the Island that I do........after our weekend at the Eastmount he is changing his mind.

We arrived about 5.30 and was straight away shown to our room, this had a lovely comfortable 4 poster bed (not the honeymoon suite) and all facilities. We were advised beforehand that the view wasn't great but they'd made it look like a little sun terrace outside so it looked more appealing. We declined the complimentry cream tea as it wasn't long before dinner, we could've had it the next day but chose to have a complimentry drink from the bar instead.

We had bed,breakfast and evening meal and everything we had was fantastic. The breakfast really set you up for the day, there was a good choice for dinner whether you wanted meat, fish or vegeterian. Although everything was of a very high quality the starter of pate and desert of toffee crunch pie were to die for...........I thought my husband was going to go in the kitchen and do an oliver.........Please sir can I have some more? lol

On the Sunday we had a nap and failed to wake up in time for dinner, they came and gave us a knock at 19.10 as they didn't want us to miss our dinner. All of the staff were wonderful.

The Island offers some really lovely real ales and after talking to Jill about them she is considering getting some in for the hotel bar............this is typical of Jill and Julian, they will go above and beyond to keep their guests happy.

I would agree that the decor could do with updating but if i'm honest so could my house and Jill if you ever want to get rid of the picture of the little girl and collie on the landing then please get in touch.

The gardens were lovely and the pool would be a very welcome place in the summer with lots of seating.

On the whole we enjoyed every second of our stay here and are hoping to return later in the year.

A final note and this is on the surrounding area..............If you plan on doing the landslip walk at Luccombe then don't, I took my husband from the top down, as we got towards the bottom there were stairs missing it and was extremely dangerous, we finally made it unharmed to the bottom only to find a sign saying "path temporarily closed.........do not enter" there was no sign at the top of the walk.

Many thanks to Jill, Julian and all their staff for making our stay such a happy one..........your customer service award was well deserved.

Hope to see you all again later in the year!!!

Maxine and John Leeper

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yobette
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
The Clifton
#6 of 29 in Sandown
Carlton Hotel
Carlton Hotel
#8 of 52 in Shanklin

Been to Eastmount Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!