“Great hotel, great staff, great atmosphere!”

Eastmount Hall Hotel
Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in Shanklin
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, great staff, great atmosphere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2010

Having visited this hotel several times before we were delighted to see the improvements made over the last few years. To begin with after a long journey the cream tea was a perfect way to be greeted by the hotel. The staff were absolutely fantastic and went completely out their way to provide whatever was needed. It's lovely how welcome you feel as the staff are so friendly and get to know you by joining in the fun such as the karaoke nights. It was great to see the owners Jill and Julian around so much more this year and were always interested to know how your day had been.

The lounge area is spacious, comfortable and tastefully decorated- a great place to relax after the evening meal. The food was plentiful and well cooked and it was good to see that improvements to the menu are being made in response to diners choices. We look forward to a more varied menu next year, perhaps? The chef is also very flexible with extra requests that are made. Toffee Crunch Pie and Rice Pudding are delicious! Outdoors there is plenty of seating which is just right for relaxing after a hard day on the beach! The pool was lovely and warm which encouraged all to enjoy a daily dip.

Our room was spacious and clean. The beds were comfortable and were changed regularly with crisp, white sheets. The tea tray was full of goodies, which were topped up daily. The storage space was adequate. The room was light and airy and a beautiful sunrise could be seen out of the window every morning.

The hotel is situated in a fantastic place. Only a short walk away from the town centre and the old village which is a quaint, olde worldy place to shop. There is also a shortcut just around the corner which leads to the beach and sea front. This is also a quicker way down to the crazy golf and putting- which have had a excellent new toilet block built on them.

Congratulations to Jill and Julian on having such a brilliant hotel and their marvellous staff who made us feel so welcome. Thank you and we look forward to next year!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank beachnut50

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2010

I was greeted by a staffer who asked if I would like to have my cream tea by the pool, which I did. It was a lovely welcome after a lot of traveling, and I appreciated the chance to go for a swim in the garden setting. I had several questions about what to see while on the Isle of Wight and found both Jill and Julian extremely friendly and helpful with advice about bus passes, places to visit, the time it would take etc. I had different questions each day and Jill often checked to see how everything had gone. I felt completely at home there and appreciated all the efforts to make me feel part of the 'hotel family'. The setting, so close to town and the beach couldn't be better. I definitely hope to return. Many thanks for making my stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank TrishB054
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

We arrived at the hotel and were welcomed with a cream tea. I had asked if they could store our bikes which we had bought with us, they would, so we put them outside by the pool pump house.
We were shown to our room which as a person that is absolutely fanatical about cleanliness and minimalistic, it was a not a good sign. we were asked if the room was okay, which I said it was not. The carpet had not been vaccumed, as their was a significant amount of debris on the carpet, especially in front of the bedside cabinets, which had obviously been there sometime. Toothpaste slops down the back of the bathroom door, around the toilet was dirty and all the skirtings needed a clean to say the least. Jill said that she would see to it personally, which she did. The bathroom is very old and extremely tired. I had asked for a room with a bath with shower over, well the shower did not work properly and when it did, it just dribbles, ah that'll be because the water leaks out the back of the ancient taps. the tiling and mastic'ing must have been done by a 5 year old, if it was done by a pro, then never have them back again. The shower curtain was not nice at all, included black mould along the bottom of it, fine if anyone required penicillin. The actual bedroom is decorated in a somewhat 70's style with pastel peach & pastel green paper, which does not go well with the old red paisley carpet. The furniture is again very 70's with a distinct smell of smoke in the wardrobe.
We stayed half board, and although there was a choice each day, I stuck to the tuna salad, my partner tried the other dishes, which were dry and not too appetising. We did go out to eat on our last evening to an excellent fish & seafood restaurant.
The garden area looked like it hadn't been weeded in I don't know how long, although the grass had been cut. But when you sit in the garden, there is a significant noise 24/7 from the air conditioning unit in the hotel opposite. The pool really isn't as big as it looks in the photo on the webpage, And if you go out in the evening, you can't get into the carpark as there are no spaces left. I had booked prior to arriving for both my partner & I to have a massage with the lady that works their for the day before we came home, but unfortunately she had a car accident and couldn't make it, which is what I was told. When I phoned her, she said her car had broken down, so wouldn't be able to make it!
The hotel staff and service is fine, but actually the hotel is in need of a mega update and clean. Bar & lounge area had been updated as was the dining room (have the cob webs from the light fitting and the crumbs that were there when we arrived now been vaccumed away).
My recommendation to fellow tripadvisors for this hotel would be......"your granny would be pleased to stay there".
My recommendation to the management would be......"check all your rooms yourself every day, as you obviously have/had staff that cannot be trusted to understand the definition of cleanliness and acceptability. Rip the whole of room 10 out and start again.
By the way if your about to stay in room 10 - the view is zero..... it overlooks the passageway between the back of the hotel and I think possibly the kitchen.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Enjoythesunshine
janeShewsbury, Owner at Eastmount Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2010
This lady stayed a couple of months ago. It was at the start of the season when we were training a new chambermaid so when she came to me and told me all the things she had found wrong with the cleaning I raced upstairs not knowing what to expect.

Here is what I found: The cupboards had been pulled away from the wall, I looked at the back of each, no dirt there, I sprayed a cloth with cleaner and wiped all the skirting boards and toilet, it came away clean. I pulled out the beds, it had been hoovered thoroughly. I did then notice a miniscule amount of dust just down the side of a cabinet, that must be what she had seen. I hoovered it up immediately. I looked for the toothpaste at the back of the door, the "toothpaste" was three tiny spots of white gloss that had got there when we painted in the spring.

The old red carpet, is actually really good Wilton, only put down 2 years ago. The furniture is 3 years old, The curtains, cushions, bedding, co-ordinated lamps and shade are all new, the tv is a flat screen again new. The view, yes, if you look down there is a passage, if you look up you can see the town. The bathroom floor is a new stone tiled one. I checked the shower curtain, there was no mould, we take our curtains down and wash them regularly.

As for our therapist, she comes in on her day off on a Monday. She had been coming over in the evenings until she had a crash and rolled her car. Now she has to take two buses to come over and that takes time. The couple both wanted full body massages which last 90 minutes (£30 not a bad price) but as she wouldn't be there until 7.30 it would mean finishing at 10.30pm. She offered to do just the lady, not good enough, she offered to give them both the 45 min massage, they didn't want that either.

I apologised profusely for the rest of their stay for the tiny bit of dust they found. I checked with her daily to see if everything was alright with the room. There were no other problems with it for the rest of her stay.

I would just like to state now that if there is anything at all that you are unhappy with then we will do whatever we can to put it right. We gained our award on the basis that we will do anything we can to please our guests.

As for the pool, the photos are genuine, this year I have even moved the pots back into position and planted them with the same flowers so I really don't know why people have started putting that it looks different. It isn't enormous like abroad but it is large enough to swim in and is very warm.

What else was there? The food, we always serve at least one gravy dinner a day so hard for that to be dry. The car park is admittedly getting smaller as cars get bigger, so only room for about 18 car now though there is plenty of free parking on the road outside the hotel.

Finally, due to one comment about us giving away free holidays to anyone not happy I have attracted a number of professional complainers this year, the most recent seemed to be having a great time until it came to paying and then said that she would put a bad review on unless I gave her a holiday for free - I can't give in to blackmail as it would be unfair to the next hotel so look out for that one.
Barwell
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2010

Last minute trip booked day before we went, no problems booked by phone, ferry organized for us. Arrived early made very welcome left car and had a mooch down to the beach before we booked in. Had a lovely cream tea on arrival and showed round the hotel. The food was great home cooked a good selection and veg option was really nice and big portions too,deserts were yummy, just like home but with none of the work. Good location nice stroll down to the beach, lift back up if you you struggle with uphill walking,.everyone was friendly relaxed and laid back , really enjoyed our break thankyou.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

Having read the great reviews I contacted on Sunday to try and book up, I left a message and e mailed. I received an e mail back advising they could not make my dates, perhaps I could suggest some more dates. I duly replied mid Sunday afternoon.

I chased Monday by e mail and phone ... no response. I phoned Tuesday several times ... engaged. I phoned Wednesday ... it rang but then I was advised no-one was available to take my call and I could not leave a message.

It really should not be this hard to book a hotel. I think 80 hours to respond to an e mail or phone call is plenty enough.

Stayed July 2010
3 Thank geoff240376
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

The hotel was clean and bright. The owner was very warm and hospitable, providing a cream tea as soon as we were settled. As a mum on holiday with a lively 10 year old I was a bit concerned, but I didnt need to worry. My boy had to be bribed to get out the lovely warm pool. Jill had lots of ideas for things to do and the hotel is well placed for buses. The sea front is a five minute walk away and has all the stuff you would expect. The food was good, breakfast not too early and plenty of it. Dinners were well cooked and tasty, with plenty of choice, also lots of choices for kids. Staff were friendly and helpful and the cost was good value for money. This is a little gem.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2010

We recently stayed at the Eastmount Hotel in Shanklin. I read the reviews of this hotel as i always do when i travel and it sounded marvellous. To be fair there are some posiitve comments to make. I will agree that the staff are lovely and very helpful and that food (stayed half board) was ample and wholesome. There is a choice of 2 meat dishes and always a veg option followed by dessert and you can help yourself to cheese and crackers, grapes and cofffee. The breakfasts are good with the usual choice of english breakfast etc. HOWEVER the cleanliness of the place leaves alot to be desired. From the moment we arrived for our 'cream tea' we had to ask for clean cups. The table next to us was full of dirty dishes and remained like that until we had finished even though it was empty in the lounge area.The room we stayed in was basic no other way to describe it which wouldn't have been bad if it had been clean. The shower had black mould round the taps. i stood on a massive toenail clipping on the carpet which i thought was rather disgusting. The place was not vacuumed the entire time we were there. The bed seriously smelt of dogs and as far as i was aware this was a pet -free hotel? There was also the constant smell of smoke in our room almost as if it was wafting in. The extractor fan in the bathroom was constantly on and made a whirring noise conitnually perhaps this was to extract the smell of tobacco and dog??O utside the window was the kids trampoline not condusive to a relaxing getaway!!! The bed linen towels and bed covers were very dated and looked like something out of the 1970's. Again this would have been fine if the room was clean. I ooked between the bed and the cupboard and it hadn't been dusted (ever?), there were thick cobwebs.You are allocated a table to eat your meals at: our table cloth still had the dirty gravy stained marks at breakfast and dinner the following day. We had a look round the pool area: there were weeds round the edges which gave the place a shabby feel. There was also an in door conservatory with a pool table which again looked tired and shabby. glasses and cups again round the table hadn't been collected. I personally feel that these things brought the hotel down. They really need to sort these things out as people who obviously like this hotel deserve better!!! friendly staff does not a good hotel make!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
janeShewsbury, Owner at Eastmount Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2010
I was obviously horrified when I read this review, we take great pride in the cleanliness of the place and never wish for anyone to have a less than perfect experience. I made the mistake of taking on a couple of younger girls, that week, who were less thorough than us older ones but after reading this review I have let them go and taken on 4 extra more mature women who have pulled the place apart looking for rouge cobwebs or mould.

I do think that the lady who wrote the review has exagerated everything. Our bedding is new, the sheets come in starched and ironed every week by a wonderful laundry and I replace hundreds of towels every year as they become spoilt so quickly they don't have chance to get worn. Both my manager and myself inspect the rooms before anyone goes in them and I cleaned the place from top to bottom in the spring myself so I know that between the bed and the wardrobe couldn't have had thick cobwebs.

We do occasionally let people bring small dogs but only very rarely so I really don't know why she thought she could smell dogs and no one every smokes in our bedrooms. She is right that we have a lot of repeat business who love this hotel but I am sure that they wouldn't come back every year if the place was dirty.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
The Clifton
The Wight
The Wight
#6 of 31 in Sandown
Royal Esplanade Hotel

Been to Eastmount Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!