“When we come back to the Isle of Wight, we will certainly be booking here!”

Landguard Holiday Park - Park Resorts
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Landguard is an excellent park. We stayed in the 3-bed Gold Plus Lodge and found it very spacious and furnished to a good standard. All the beds were made up on arrival and it was very well cleaned. It also benefits from being in a secluded location on the park which was lovely.

The entertainment on site was very good. Although the venue is small, they put in a huge effort and we enjoyed our evenings there. We did alternate with Lower Hyde which was a short walk through the campsite away.

The swimming pool was great. My little girl loved the slide! And the pool was large and deep enough for us all. We didn’t use the outside pool although it always looked clean. The attendance of more than one lifeguard at the pools was very reassuring. The play park on site is small but well kept.

The onsite shop had everything we needed and we were always greeted by a cheerful face (Mikey). We used the reception only a handful of times during our stay but everyone was very helpful. Special mention to Vanessa who helped us book a ferry at quite short notice.

All in all, a lovely stay and when we come back to the Isle of Wight, we will certainly be booking here!

1  Thank vickyjohn_13
Park R, General Manager at Landguard Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Hi Vicky and John,Firstly thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am so happy that you were pleased with your accommodation, our lodges really are very spacious and do have that lovely home from home feel about them.
I am pleased that you enjoyed the swimming pool facilities and that you enjoyed both the entertainment here and at our sister park, Lower Hyde. It is a real benefit that our parks here in Shanklin are so close to one another that all our guests can enjoy the facilities on both sites.
It is great that you found everybody to be helpful and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

We have been coming to Isle of Wight for 25yrs now,we use to stop at Thorness Bay until 5yrs ago when we got a new touring van and changed to Landguard We have been with our children and now they have grown up, they come back on there own. This year we had our grand daughter join us on our 5th day (out of 10) she is 7yrs old, when her mum went back home. As usual the Touring site was kept nice, but perhaps the trees could do with a bit of a cut. Showers/Toilets were clean as usual, better than they were a few years ago, when the birds could fly through whilst you were showering. LOL.
The Guys in Jesters that kept her entertained Jo, Elvis and Button did a great job and she was sad about coming home too. Our other daughter has special needs she is 30. But she was allowed to join in with the games/dances and did receive a Sparky Snap Bracelet and last night won a mug, which she is thrilled about.
We went swimming and used the shop on site, the road down to Landguard could do with having the pot holes fixed, not good when you are towing a Caravan.
Apart from this, we are already thinking about next years dates, see you all then :)

Room Tip: We used our own Caravan, so we cannot say.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay on Landguard’s touring site. I have passed your comments regarding the trees onto our maintenance manager, who is looking into having them cut back but I can only apologise about the state of the road you are referring to. This road belongs to the council and not to Park Resorts so we are unable to re-surface it.
It is great that you and your family enjoyed the entertainment, and I have passed your feedback on to our team who are always thrilled to receive kind comments.
Lastly, and most importantly, we all look forward to welcoming you back to Landguard next year.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Got there caravan was ready early which was good, it was nice and clean but we had a gold and gold plus caravan and beds are supposed to be made for you when you arrive but our bedding was on end of beds and we had to make the beds our selves. Apart from that caravan was really nice. On making breakfast the following morning cutlery was filthy. We then went swimming which we regretted the pool had a scum over it, dead flies in it and also rubbish floating around in it and sand in it....this was at 9am when they first opened, changing rooms were only big enough for 1 person. entertainment in the evening was very poor and everyone left early one night there was us and 1 other table there. This is only a small park so you would think they could keep things clean.
food was ok not the best but what can you expect with there only being one chef who was cooking, taking orders and doing dishes....evening meal was a lot better then breakfast. Menu stated things on it that weren't even available and no notices saying this you go and order and then they say we don't sell that sorry....so why have it on the menu. Lattes were available in 3 sizes went to order a Massimo one to be told they only do 1 size then when we got that it was half a cup...we complained and he said that's why I gave you 2 biscuits to make up for it. Also went to have lunch on a lunchtime to be told we would have to go to the other campsite lower hyde.
Shop was very good, so was the play park.
This was one of the worst holidays I have had on a park resorts site normally I have a brilliant time.
I did report all this to reception but nothing was done.
Maintenance men were brilliant shower broke and they came out and fixed it straight away.
I paid over £1000 for this holiday and it was only worth £100

1  Thank tammy v

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
If a booking is made directly and not through a newspaper promotion then all beds, regardless of grade, should be made up on arrival. I sincerely apologise if your beds were overlooked, this should not have happened although if you had made our reception staff aware they would have sent a member of our housekeeping team down to make the beds up for you. I also apologise if the cutlery was dirty, this should never be the case.
I have spoken to the Sports and Leisure Manager regarding your review about the swimming pool at Landguard. He has explained that the Receptionist did speak to him regarding a report from a guest about the pool of which he has assured me was dealt with immediately and he instructed his staff to complete a clean of the pool.
I am sorry you did not enjoy the evening entertainment, our team work very hard in providing a varied range of entertainment designed to suit all tastes
I have passed your comments about the restaurant onto our Catering Manager, as we should not be advertising food or drinks that we cannot deliver. He will be reviewing the menu and looking into this complaint.
I am so sorry that we did not fulfil your expectations this time but do hope that you would consider using Park Resorts again in the future.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Having been looking forward to our break for ages, we decided to upgrade to a gold lodge and were so glad we did. This was the only positive.
On the tuesday we 'swam' in the indoor pool. The shallow end has a slide which needs to be watched out for as not much room for manouvre. Being the shallow end, it was where most of the little people were...but the slide had a constant stream of people coming down it. I would hate to see it busy! The pool had things floating in and was very gritty not to mention the ridiculous changing areas. With one bench, there is nowhere near enough room for more than one family to change at any one time. Another gent took his child into the wet shower cubicle to change.

Having a 2 year old and a 6 year old, cleanliness is very important and both definetly swallowed water.
The following night in the lower hyde club, my 2 year old was very sick. I reported this to the bar as a pvi, and was asked to inform the shop. I informed the shop and was told to tell the bar (she was texting at the time)
I cleaned my little boy and covered the vomit as best as I could. No one came to assist. We waited 10 minutes but no one came to deal with the incident. I again went to the bar to report and reinforce the importance of this.
The remainder of the holiday consisted of my family being ill throughout. This is the first time my 2 year old has suffered a stomach bug. My partner was then the same, followed by my daughter on the journey home.
This experience, which I believe came after our pool experience, completely ruined our holiday.

Please do not respond to this by telling me I should have reported it to reception. I reported it three times and nothing was done.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Hoteliersussex
Park R, General Manager at Landguard Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Thank you for your review.

As we are a very popular resort the pool can get very busy at times along with the slide but following your feedback we are looking in to ways of managing the slide and the use of it during busy periods.

With regards to your comments surrounding the pool cleanliness I can confirm that as an added extra to our pool fun element we offer guests floatation devices which are made from a hard polystyrene material, however unfortunately some children do pick at them which can cause bits to float in the water, so as part of our pool maintenance, throughout the day, the life guards on duty assess and remove such objects from the pool if they appear.

Lastly to put your mind at ease with regards to your child’s sickness as a preventative measure we are regularly tested by our appointed Health and Safety Consultants Chiltern. Our most recent Water Safe test dated 11th June ‘Passed’ on all Bacteriological Analysis. I can assure you that at the time of your visit there were no other reports of ill health.

The Leisure Manager has stressed how sorry he is for your upset and can only apologise for the lack of support you felt you received as this is never our intentions and as you can see from other guest reviews we very rarely get it wrong.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Was looking forward to first holiday with partner, especially as people had writen such good things.
But,
Third holiday using national paper deal and it was the worst! Within an hour of being on site I wanted to get the ferry home.
Was offered W10 lodge to begin with, it reaked of smoke. Window broken and dark and dank. There is another review for this lodge and that was after they resent cleaner there. When I went to ask to be moved the gentlemans responce was £55.00 to up grade as I was only a promo customer he didnt care. Even thought maintanence were awear of broken window. Then a lady said we could be moved. So we moved to F16. Cleaner apart from food stains on kitchen top but easy to remove. But oh my god the place is falling apart. Wallpaper coming off walls, heater and light in toilet did not work. Sheets that were ment to be a bonus were ripped so glad I brought my own. Caravan very tied and in need of improvement. Woke every morning and the sheets were wet, camera was always wet and fogged up so had to use fire to dry it out.
Other staff and entertainment were ok, would of been great for the kids. But the commedian on Tuesday was excellent!
Was planning to go back in August with kids but think I will find some where better. Was not worth promo price.

Room Tip: Dont go bronze unless you pay full price.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank plahay85
Reviewed 14 June 2013

It was our first family holiday and we enjoyed every minute of it despite some bad weather but that's to be expected during an English summer. All the staff were faultless and passionate about their various roles within the resort. Buttons, Elvis and Jovaltine kept our 3 girls entertained whenever we frequented the clubhouse, in fact they constantly asked to go there. Leanne, Roland and Vinny were very well mannered, consistantly opening the door for us whenever we entered or exited the building, Gayle and Becky also provided us with a first class service. We all enjoyed it that much we've booked again for next year. Well done and a big thanks to all the staff, especially the Sparkys Klub Crew.

• Stayed: June 2013
Park R, General Manager at Landguard Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2013

Hello

Thank you for writing this positive review.

It is fantastic that your first family holiday was a good one, so much so that you have booked again for next year! I am so pleased that you found our staff faultless and thank you giving so many of them a special mention, it really is appreciated and we all look forward to welcoming you back in 2014.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

My husband and I have just returned from our second visit to Landguard Holiday Park, We had been upgraded to a Bronze Lodge (W10) which was nice as they are separate from the main site and away from any noise.
On arrival we found that the lodge was ready early which was a bonus so made our way to the private car park for the lodges. The road leading to the lodges could do with a re-surface as it is very badly maintained and very pot-holed. We found our lodge in the top corner near to the car park, a lovely plot but made the lodge very cold as it didn't get any sun. On opening the door we found very spacious accommodation but boy did it smell !!! It was very musty, I can only assume it was damp as it was completely covered by trees.Even a scented candle would not mask the smell or ventilating at every opportunity didn't help.
Well equipped kitchen/lounge with flat screen TV, DVD player & a dishwasher. 3 bedrooms of a good size with plenty of storage and a lovely sized bathroom with a power shower.
The outside verandah left a lot to be desired and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months. I understand that it is under the trees but some of the bird faeces, leaves etc looked like they had been there for a long time. Cobwebs covered the door & windows frames which could be easily removed with a soft brush and because of the state of it, we couldn't use the verandah.
The site itself is small and well maintained for the most part. We didn't use any of the on-site facilities except the Costa Coffee at Lower Hyde which was ok but very over-priced even in comparison to a regular Costa coffee shop so didn't use it again.
A fabulous base to explore the island especially when the weather is good which was very fortunate and we would return again.

Room Tip: If you book a lodge, make sure you are not put in one completely covered by trees.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Park R, General Manager at Landguard Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Hi Sammie Jayne, thank you for writing this review.
I am glad that you were able to get into your accommodation early, our reception team take mobile telephone numbers and call guests as soon as their unit is ready, this enables guests to go and enjoy the day rather than waiting around for too long. Unfortunately the road you are referring to belongs to the council and not Park Resorts so we are unable to re-surface it. I sincerely apologise that the veranda on your lodge was unclean, this should never be the case but I do wish you had reported it to reception as we would have sent one of our accommodation team round to clean it for you. As you say, we really are a great base to explore the Island and really do hope that you choose to holiday again with us in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Luccombe Hall Hotel
#8 of 29 in Sandown
Whitecliff Bay Holiday Park
The Orchards Holiday Caravan and Camping Park
Cheverton Copse Holiday Park

Been to Landguard Holiday Park - Park Resorts? Share your experiences!