All reviewslower hydeisle of wightsun holidayentertainment staffsister siteentertainment complexchildren's entertainmentswimming poolon arrivalevening entertainmentgreat holidaycentral heatingfamily holidaymain bedroomlovely sitewashing machineonsite shop
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Just got back from a week at Landguard. This was our first trip to a Park Resorts site but, as frequent visitors to the likes of Butlins, Pontins and Haven on the mainland, hope that will help to give some context to the fact we know what to look for!

This was our first visit to the Isle of Wight and was really inspired by my 3 year old developing a recent fixation with boats and wanting to go on holiday on one.

We picked Landguard because of its location on the outskirts of Shanklin being a decent base to tour the island from. at the time we booked it is also worth noting that the prices were cheaper at Landguard than the sister park at Lower Hyde. As you can use the facilities of both then it was a bit of a no brainer as to which we picked as we have no problem with a short walk (more on that later).

The park itself is small if you are used to Haven sites. Even an average size one like Burnham On Sea would dwarf Landguard. I guess it depends what you are looking for. If you want a park where you only have to leave to stroll to the beach, and everything else is on your doorstep, then this is not for you. as a base we thought it was ideal.

The park is around 20 minutes drive from Fishbourne where we caught the ferry to and from Ryde is even closer. Whilst we did pop the sat nav on, the island is well signposted and pretty easy to navigate.

Check in was simple and we were directed to a carpark away from the main one a stones throw from where our caravan was. We stayed in a gold plus caravan and were situated on Arreton for our row. This is right next to where the lodges are situated and next door to all of the amenities.

The caravan was clean and had everything you needed. The only gripe from my wife was the request to strip the beds when we left which we have not been asked to do elsewhere.

Before now we have stayed in Prestige caravans at Haven. These afford some added extras like decking outside and I do not recall seeing any caravan with an outside seating area at Landguard although there were some at Lower Hyde.

One thing to note was the water pressure. My lad used the toilet in our en suite whilst I was in the shower and it took five minutes for it to recover to more than spitting at me! Otherwise, it was fine.

There are not too many facilities on the park itself. There is a mini golf course and a small playground. You also have an outdoor pool with separate childrens splash area. The indoor pool is much bigger than that at Lower Hyde and features a water slide. There are also various activities on in the pool you can pay extra for. Things like water walkers for older children.

There is a small shop but I would only use this for emergency essentials. There are plenty of supermarkets close by. Next door to Lower Hyde is a Lidl, we drove by a fairly sizeable Co-Op in Shanklin but tended to use the Morrisons in Lake. It is a two minute drive from the park. Left out of the carpark, left again at the roundabout at the bottom of Whitecross Lane and you cannot miss it.

There is a small restaurant on site that is fairly priced (we only ate there once and that was breakfast this morning. Two fried ones for £6 was decent value). There is also a small club for the evenings.

According to the door staff the club can hold something in the order of 200 people at peak season. The most we saw in there was 40 so had loads of room. The entertainment team try very hard to keep everyone engaged which can be challenging with so few people to work with and they do sell some souvenirs behind the bar as this park as no dedicated shop like at Lower Hyde.

There are some deals on at the moment. Four bottles of Bud for a tenner (or a four pint Bud pitcher) whilst the World Cup is on. The two brekkies for six quid I mentioned above. A family drink and food pack for eleven (2 pints, 2 soft drinks and snacks) etc. You can also buy a cup for slushies that means much cheaper refills from there on out.

As a thought for Park Resorts, and they will not be able to change anything until next season, but they should rethink the bingo.

I know this is a major part of the evening entertainment for plenty of people but the timing was all wrong. For example, you have and hour or so of the kids getting wound up with party dance games and then they are told to they must be silent for the next hour as the bingo is on and this is quite serious bingo.

It links to every resort in the country which makes for great potential prizes. I would want silence as well if I was playing. But this is resort set up for kids, particularly young ones. Surely putting the bingo on at 6 and then letting the children get into it would be more sensible? If you take your bingo that seriously then I am sure you would not mind heading out a little earlier to play it in peace.

The staff were very nice. I have mentioned the entertainment team but I thought the door staff were great as well. When reception knock off at normal home time for the rest of us they take charge of everything. Checking in late arrivals, dealing with caravan maintenance issues, looking for parents of lost children, or lost dinosaurs, and, well, doing the doors. They do it with a smile and are happy to have a chat if you nip outside for some air, a smoke break etc.

They also let me in on the fact that this will all be one park next year. At the moment, the walk between the two is nothing like as terrible as people here have suggested anyway. There is a second road to the left as you drive into the park and a walk round the side of the amenities gets you on it as well.

It is a public footpath, one of many on the island. Once you are past the lodges it is 100 yards down (walking away from the site) and you hit a crossroads that is signed. Just turn left there and 50 yards on down the lane you are in the lower Hyde Park. Follow the road up and you find all of their facilities after five minutes.

The touring bit is in between so I do not know if they had to purchase additional land, and it will still have 2 clubs, but consider what I said about pricing earlier if you are tempted to visit.

As for where we went, I will review those places individually but my conclusion was that it was a nice little park and, with the added facilities you can use up the road, I would recommend it.

I will definitely visit the Isle of Wight again and would consider a stay here.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Stuart G
Park R, General Manager at Parkdean Resorts - Landguard Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for writing such an extensive and informative review. I am glad that you enjoyed your holiday on the Isle of Wight and I am delighted that you would recommend Landguard as a base.
As you say, it is a great benefit for all of our guests to be able to use the facilities of our sister park Lower Hyde.

I do hope that you choose to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We visited Languard for a four night break and returned yesterday. Have been to 5 Park Resorts and this stay was truly awful. My husband is disabled and we couldn't get an assisted caravan. We asked if we could park next to the caravan due to my husband's disability but were told no. The staff buggie took our luggage to the caravan however the caravan was quite a way from the car park so each day we wanted to use the car my husband had to use his mobility scooter to get to the car park, dismantle it to use when we went out and the reverse when we came back. It is difficult for me as the scooter is heavy. Had we been able to park next to the caravan as we have with all previous Park Holidays the scooter could have stayed in the car and this would have been so much easier.

The first night we went to the club for a meal at 8 o'clock to have something to eat as we had not eaten since lunchtime. Although there were ramps to get to the bar there was no ramp at the threshold to the club and the staff gave us a bit of wood to help my husband get into the club which is a ridiculous situation. We were told that we had to hurry if we wanted to eat as it would probably be closing shortly. All we could get was burgers and they were horrible. The lad was not happy to serve us as he wanted to shut up as he had already done a '12-hour day'. The following night we went to the club and ordered a meal of chicken tikka and square steak pie. It was absolutely disgusting and well overpriced.

I hardly slept as the bed was so uncomfortable and was a small double. The toilet would only flush on odd occasions, the toilet brush was filthy and the gas fire didn't work.

On leaving the park, when I went to give the keys back, I was given the deposit I paid for the extra key (which was a different cut to the original and did not work) the assistant gave me the and said thanks and that was it. She didn't even ask if we had a good break.

The standards have dropped dramatically, the food disgusting and overpriced. We will not use Park Resorts again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KarenHSouthampton

Thank you for sharing your views on TripAdvisor. I am extremely disappointed to hear that we did not fulfill your expectations on this occasion.

As we are a small park we are unable to allow vehicles next to our caravans. This is for health and safety reasons, as in an emergency an ambulance would be unable to pass. We do provide trolleys to help our guests with their luggage and our accommodation team are always happy to assist.

I am sorry that you were not happy with the meals you had in our onsite eatery. Although they are competitively priced, you should never have been spoken to like that by our staff and I have passed your comments on to our Complex Manager.

We would have been able to change the mattress and toilet brush for you and sent our maintenance team round to fix the other problems, if these issues had been reported to reception.

Once again I do apologise that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Superb site caravan spotless , I would say this would rate as the best caravan holiday I have had. We took our first sun deal so was a little unsure of what we would get, however we were overjoyed with the bronze it was spacious, quiet, with all the amenities you require. Will definitely be going back. Thanks to all the park staff for making it an extra special stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Bernie N

Thank you for writing your review. I am delighted to hear that this was the best caravan holiday you have ever had – what a recommendation for us!

We all look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

we had a lovely time , this is a nice clean camp the caravan was very clean too.We did not use the clubhouse but we could here the turns from outside and they appeared to be good and worth a visit.The staff were very helpful and went out of their way to help us carry our luggage to and from the caravan.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I am so glad that you had a lovely time, were happy with your accommodation and that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful.

I do hope that you choose to holiday with Park Resorts again in the future.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Just returned from a lovely weekend away. Booked through the sun holiday but upgraded to a silver + caravan. Well what can i say but it was the best caravan i have stayed in. Lovely and clean, spacious and new. the bed was comfortable and we even had a walk in wardrobe, fab ! Didn't use the clubhouse facilities but it all looked clean and tidy. We would definitely book to stay here again, fantastic

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Park R, General Manager at Parkdean Resorts - Landguard Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your views on TripAdvisor. I am delighted that you had a lovely weekend with us here at Landguard. I’m glad that you were so happy with your accommodation, our Silver Plus and above caravans really are very spacious.

Thank you once again and I do hope we see you again in the not too distant future.