“Great short break”

Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Shanklin
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Great short break”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We booked this hotel through Travelzoo as it accommodated dogs and expected a lot less than we got. The welcome was very friendly and we had a lovely side room with sea views in the original part of the house. Despite the high ceilings the room was very well heated and at one point we had to open the windows to cool it down after turning off the radiator.

We had the half board tariff and could not fault the food. it was beautifully presented and there was a good choice with a different special every night. The staff were attentive, polite and friendly. Our four days at the hotel were very enjoyable and we will definitely be making a return visit. Our dog was allowed access to everywhere except the dining room and at £7 per night it was cheaper to take her with us than arrange kennels even though there was nothing provided for dogs so we still had to take her basket and bowls.

Our only suggestions for improvement would be to make the lounge cosier perhaps by altering the seating groups and to have some dimmed lighting or candles on the tables in the evening to create a bit more atmosphere.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
SteveW-iow, Owner at Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Many thanks for choosing to stay at Luccombe Manor and for taking the time to give feedback following your visit. I'm delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and that you found your room to be warm and lovely and the food to be beautifully presented with a good choice. The service we offer is critical to guests enjoyment and I'm glad to hear how attentive and helpful you found the team to be. I'm glad you were able to holiday with your dog and hope that the local walks were enjoyed by all! I'm so pleased to hear that you will be staying with us again and look forward to welcoming you on your return visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We went to this hotel one night and had a very good meal. the price was good for a hotel and the meal and service was good
Yes I would go back again, I did not stay at the hotel so I can not comment on that side of it but if its as good as the food then I would say give it a try.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for coming to eat at Luccombe Manor. I'm delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your meal and that you would return. Do come and book in to stay with us next time - it's a fabulous location with so much to offer. Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback and we do look forward to welcoming you again.
Southampton
Reviewed 17 December 2013

My mother and I visited for a 2 day break. Delighted to find a beautiful hotel on top of cliff with magnificent views over the sea, set in beautiful gardens. We were warmly greeted by staff and shown to a lovely family room which also accommodated my mothers 2 little dogs. We had sea views, wonderful. The room was warm and the beds extremely comfortable. It had all the usual amenities. The breakfast menu was excellent with lots of choice, it was also absolutely delicious. Unfortunately I cant say the same for dinner but that is only our opinion. All the staff we met were warm and friendly and made sure we enjoyed our stay. There are steps to the beach at the bottom of the garden. A truly lovely place to visit. (red squirrels in park opposite hotel).

Shanklin village is a 5 min walk away where there are excellent pubs, serving delicious food.

We had previously stayed at Melville Hall (a sister hotel) that too was fantastic. I would thoroughly recommend both hotels.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Steven W, Owner at Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely feedback and for choosing to stay at Luccombe Manor after previously having enjoyed a stay at our sister hotel Melville Hall in Sandown. Luccombe Manor is indeed in a fabulous cliff top location and I'm glad you and your Mother and her 2 dogs had an enjoyable stay. I'm delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the views, the comfort of the room and the excellent breakfast. I'm so sorry to hear you were a little disappointed with the dinner. I do hope that you will change your mind on this when you stay with us again. I'm delighted to hear that you will definitely return and will look forward to seeing you again then.
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

I was given a lovely room just inside the main entrance, which was perfect as I was travelling with my dog. The room was large and the bed comfortable. A problem with the shower water temperature was quickly resolved. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. I had taken advantage of one of the low cost winter deals but was still charged extra for the dog, even though the deal covered two people and I was on my own. So it was relatively expensive in the end. However, I was anticipating good food for that, which was where I was disappointed. I chose from the daily specials. The crab and smoked salmon parcel was a teaspoon of mixed crabmeat wrapped with little care in a slice of smoked salmon. This would have been £5.95 had I not had a half board deal. Main course was a duck leg which must have been frozen as there was so little flavour or seasoning. Contrast that with the second evening's tomato and basil soup, which tasted only of pepper. The Isle of Wight beef and ale open pie turned out to be five small chunks of meat in gravy served with a huge mound of mashed potato. Vegetables on both nights were unseasoned. I ordered dessert on the second evening but it never arrived, nor any explanation as to why not. Breakfasts were not great. Scrambled egg was served on soggy toast (poor quality bread being the culprit) and the poached egg with "dayglo" smoked haddock was swimming in water on day two. The coffee was undrinkable. I really wanted to like the hotel and it was good apart from the food. Maybe the regular chef was taking a break, I hope so.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We had stayed at Luccombe Manor once before, so when we were offered a good deal on a week-end stay, we jumped at the chance. Our room had a sea view, comfortable king-size bed and the expected flat-screen TV and tea / coffee facilities. Our deal included breakfast and evening meal, and the food was excellent, with good choices and vegetarian alternatives. The staff were friendly, attentive and helpful. Once again we had an excellent stay; we will be back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Steven W, Owner at Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you so much for your excellent feedback and for choosing to stay at Luccombe Manor again - I'm glad you were able to make the most of one of our great value packages. I'm glad you found your king size bed comfortable, the food excellent and the staff friendly, attentive and helpful - meaning you had an excellent break away. I'm delighted to hear that you will be back and we look forward to welcoming you again.
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Always pleased with this little hotel, the food is excellent and the rooms are bright, airy and generally very clean. Staff are pleasant and friendly and the views are wonderful. When they offer their deals, be sure to take them up on it - there is no better value for money for a sea view hotel with quality food and surroundings.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Steven W, Owner at Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Luccombe Manor again and for taking the time to give us such lovely feedback. I'm so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay again and how you found the food excellent, the staff pleasant and friendly and views wonderful. I'm delighted to hear that you much you rate our great value special offer packages - thanks for the recommendation. I do hope we see you again in the future.
southampton
Reviewed 5 December 2013

don't often stay in hotels in iow as we have a van, but this offer looked to good to be true!!!
It was not.
The booking process from start to finish was excellent, ferry inclusive.
they gave us a free upgrade as they were quiet that weekend.
All the staff without exception were 1st class, friendly but very professional, but a special mention has to go to the guys in the restauruant, nothing was too much trouble (and thanks for not giving away the plot of Dr. Who) .
I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Steven W, Owner at Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Luccombe Manor and for highlighting that the offer was not too good to be true! I'm glad you found the booking process excellent and the staff first class, friendly and professional. The guys in the restaurant will be thrilled to hear your praise. Thank you so much for your recommendation and we very much look forward to welcoming you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Luccombe Hall Hotel
The Clifton
The Clifton
#1 of 52 in Shanklin
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa

Been to Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!