Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
  • Restaurant
The Clifton(Shanklin)
Brunswick Hotel(Shanklin)
View Hotel
All reviewssister hoteloutdoor pool and hot tubsea viewisle of wightdog friendly hotelnight dealevening mealincluding ferryshort breaklovely hotelsteep stepstwo night staycoastal pathshanklin chinesmoked haddocktea gardenthe cliff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Luccombe Manor is in a superb spot overlooking Sandown Bay from the cliffs of Shanklin and many people go there just for the view. There are other things to recommend it but I have slightly underscored it because (a) the place lacks a few finer touches and there is no "Good" rating on Trip Advisor which it would get from me if there were. It was certainly not Very Good but not Poor either. My wife and I arrived on a Friday afternoon for a party (Mary's 90th !) the following day and benefitted from a good deal financially. However there was just one member of staff on duty upon our arrival and she (kind lady) seemed to be a part-timer (Hope I'm not being rude). She didn't know about our request for an extra duvet to protect my wife's dodgy hips and was reluctant to give us a second key. Luckily, a man was changing the lock on our room as we went up the stairs and he gave us an extra (new) key. First night dinner was a near-disaster. My wife spat out the salad with her starter (bruschetta) saying it was full of grit. When I tried mine (with field mushroom) I had to agree she was right. We complained and the young "waiter" came back from the kitchen with the classic "It HAS been thoroughly washed - but the water was probably dirty". Oh, that's all right then ! Next we had very bland main courses (Fillet of Trout, sounds good but wasn't and a steak pie with chunks of dry, tasteless meat and mashed potato in the shape of a sandcastle). The shop-bought sticky toffee pudding was the best course of the three and the wine was quite expensive. By this time another senior member of staff had arrived and helped the two waiters and at the bar as well as doing a load of paperwork at the reception desk. We told him how poor the meal was but he only raised his eyebrows and said how dilligent the chef was. To be fair, the English breakfast next day and the supper the next night (chicken pasta and pork loin stuffed with almonds) were much, much better. We also slept well and were able to spend a lot of time in the quiet lounges with our small dog who was accepted for £7 per day. However, I (mid-Sixties) wasn't too keen on one of the young waiters (about 19) addressing me as "Fella" - or even upgrading me when he later asked "D'you want to order now, mate ?). Call me old-fashioned if you will but, together, my wife and I were referred to as "guys" which also rankles a bit. Sir and Madam is much more acceptable, or even "Folks". Any way, the party was a success in the hotel even though we had to drag a lady off reception desk to serve us some drinks from the bar. The weather was surprisingly gorgeous (early March) and our roomk was reasonably well-appointed. In the summer it would be very good to share in the facilities afforded by the Manor's sister hotel Luccombe Hall (virtually next door) where they have a spa and an indoor pool as well as offering massage and beauty treatments. Two of the 31 party guests went for a swim in the evening and enjoyed it but when we visited the pool in the morning it was like walking into a steambath. Maybe better later in the day.

Room Tip: It's obvious really .... at least make sure you can get a glimmpse of the sea. Even though we were on a cut-price two-nighty deal we still had a fine view from our standard room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank piercewilliam991
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We booked a short break at this hotel over the New Year. We tried to get in to Luccombe Hall where we had been before but they were fully booked. This hotel was available at a very good price so we thought we would try it. We are glad we did! It was really lovely - the room, the food, and the amazing view from the conservatory dining room. Sadly, it was dark at dinner time but the garden was nicely lit up. We shall certainly be going back again! The only thing that could be improved was the large bedrooom window which was not double glazed. The draught coming in was quite something!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea facing room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hazel H
Clare W, Owner at Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Thank you for reviewing your trip over the New Year period with us. I am glad you had an enjoyable time. It is great to hear you found the food, room and view all to your liking. The Appley Restaurant situated in the conservatory has a fantastic view of the bay. Now the evenings are getting lighter, this will be able to be enjoyed at both breakfast and dinner. I am sorry that you found the windows a bit draughty in your room. Being an older building that retains many original features, we do not have double glazed windows. I do hope your room was not chilly. We do have additional heaters available, on request. Hopefully we will see you back at Luccombe Manor again soon.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Stayed here on a deal, bed breckfast and dinner. Rooms in the extension a bit bland but well furnished with comfortable beds. Breckfast and dinner fine for the money with a good choice at dinner. Waiting staff exceptional with nothing too much trouble. would reccomend

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tim J

Thank you for your comments following your recent short break with us. I am glad you found your bed comfortable and trust you had a great nights sleep on it. I am sorry that you thought the decor a little bland in your bedroom. We welcome a wide range of guests at Luccombe Manor so try to keep the decor slightly on the safer side. Having said that, we are not a purpose built hotel so all our bedrooms are different and on a future visit, you may find one of our other bedrooms more appealing. It is good to hear that you thought the breakfast and dinner was good value for money and that you felt our restaurant staff offered great customer service. I do hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

This is the 5th time we've stayed at Luccombe Manor and it just gets better & better. Once again we were greeted by friendly staff, booking in is simple and then shown to our upgraded room over looking the sea & what a beautiful view.
The food was a very good standard and the choices were varied, the waiting staff were very attentive I can't praise them enough.
We will be back next year taking advantage of the many offers they have throughout the year.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your lovely review. We really enjoy being able to welcome our regular guests back to Luccombe Manor, time and again. I am glad that the upgraded room with the sea view was to your liking and that you found the food and service to be to its usual high standard. I do hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on 8th feb, we were lucky enough to have been given a gorgeous double room with a single bed also, large bay window with a lovely sea view...room was perfect. Used the pool next door which was relaxing. Breakfast was also very good. Friendly staff, nicely decorated hotel...will definitely be back :-) Rachel & Mandy.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachey27
Clare W, Owner at Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thank you for making the effort to post such a charming review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your short stay with us. We are fortunate to share our grounds with our sister hotel, Luccombe Hall and our guests can make use of their facilities such as indoor pool, hot tub and sauna. It's just a short stroll through the gardens. I do hope you will visit us again in the future and hopefully stay for longer next time.