“An OK break for the price we paid”

Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Shanklin
Reviewed 28 March 2014

My wife and I have just had a three night stay at this hotel.

The hotel itself is an attractive looking building, we had a standard room which was adequate but nothing special and left a bit to be desired in terms of cleanliness, several cobwebs were present and these don't appear overnight. The bathroom was OK but a bit tired, however there was a plentiful supply of hot water which is sometimes lacking in hotels.

There was a small opening window above the bed head, but the larger side window had been screwed shut presumably because of "elf and safety"!

The public areas were OK but again a bit tired, several light bulbs in the hall way were out during our stay, how long does it take to change a light bulb?

We had dinner one night as part of the Amazon deal we were on and it was fine, breakfasts were alright but nothing to write home about.

Staff were generally friendly although the lady on reception whilst not unfriendly didn't come across as someone particularly happy in her work, the outdoor swimming pool and grounds looked nice and well kept.

All in all a reasonable break for the price, we paid £179.00 for 3 nights including 1 dinner and 1 cream tea but to be honest we wouldn't have wanted to pay more.

Room Tip: People we spoke to said the sea view rooms were worth paying extra to upgrade.
5  Thank Dawnandkeith

Reviewed 27 March 2014

This was a Groupon gift from our Son, Hotel very clean, staff friendly and helpful, our room was small but functional excellent en suite. Breakfast good but was disappointed with dinner, I had Caesar salad to star but it was just a bit of chicken and bacon on some leaves, the pork loin was quite good though, didn't go for the sweet. Dining area could do with a bit more atmosphere, a few candles on Tables does wonders, overall though it is fine, and I would go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
JackieClaridge123, General Manager at Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

It was a pleasure to have recently met you at Luccombe Manor Hotel.
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I was pleased to read that you found our staff friendly and helpful i will certainly pass your kind comments on to them. I am so sorry that the dining experience did not live up to your expectations I have discussed the comments you have made here with our chef and we are working together to increase the quality of food.
I hope to welcome you back to Luccombe Manor Hotel in the future.
Kind Regards
Jackie

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Lovely hotel clean beautiful rooms breakfast amazing pool and hot tub fantastic Richard and Julie very helpful would go back again was a present from our children good choice excellent position so near the sea plenty of coastal walks

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank michele1401
Clare W, Owner at Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor. I am glad you had a great stay with us and would consider a return visit. Julie does a great job leading the team at Luccombe Manor and it is good to hear that both Julie and Richard made you feel well looked after. We are very lucky with our location on the cliff just outside the old village area. There are walking routes in all directions and now the weather has improved, it is great to see our guests enjoying a stroll round the local area. I do hope we see you again.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

There are a number of positives about this hotel:
The position - great views; A comfortable bed - which is important to me; Breakfasts were good too, and overall the staff were very friendly and helpful.
On the downside - dinner was a great disappointment. The salad starter I ordered was very gritty and my main meal just tasted of nothing - really bland and had been microwaved. When I asked for parmesan cheese to help me cope with the dish I was told that the chef had run out. My friend's meal was even worse - she ordered fish of the day in batter. It looked and tasted really bad!!! More like fish of the century. We believe that the fish was put in a deep fryer to heat it up. The desserts were fine. Overall the dinner was so bad that we decided not to eat the second night even though we had booked a DBB break.
I would definitely go back - but on a B&B basis.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank M J
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Luccombe Manor is in a superb spot overlooking Sandown Bay from the cliffs of Shanklin and many people go there just for the view. There are other things to recommend it but I have slightly underscored it because (a) the place lacks a few finer touches and there is no "Good" rating on Trip Advisor which it would get from me if there were. It was certainly not Very Good but not Poor either. My wife and I arrived on a Friday afternoon for a party (Mary's 90th !) the following day and benefitted from a good deal financially. However there was just one member of staff on duty upon our arrival and she (kind lady) seemed to be a part-timer (Hope I'm not being rude). She didn't know about our request for an extra duvet to protect my wife's dodgy hips and was reluctant to give us a second key. Luckily, a man was changing the lock on our room as we went up the stairs and he gave us an extra (new) key. First night dinner was a near-disaster. My wife spat out the salad with her starter (bruschetta) saying it was full of grit. When I tried mine (with field mushroom) I had to agree she was right. We complained and the young "waiter" came back from the kitchen with the classic "It HAS been thoroughly washed - but the water was probably dirty". Oh, that's all right then ! Next we had very bland main courses (Fillet of Trout, sounds good but wasn't and a steak pie with chunks of dry, tasteless meat and mashed potato in the shape of a sandcastle). The shop-bought sticky toffee pudding was the best course of the three and the wine was quite expensive. By this time another senior member of staff had arrived and helped the two waiters and at the bar as well as doing a load of paperwork at the reception desk. We told him how poor the meal was but he only raised his eyebrows and said how dilligent the chef was. To be fair, the English breakfast next day and the supper the next night (chicken pasta and pork loin stuffed with almonds) were much, much better. We also slept well and were able to spend a lot of time in the quiet lounges with our small dog who was accepted for £7 per day. However, I (mid-Sixties) wasn't too keen on one of the young waiters (about 19) addressing me as "Fella" - or even upgrading me when he later asked "D'you want to order now, mate ?). Call me old-fashioned if you will but, together, my wife and I were referred to as "guys" which also rankles a bit. Sir and Madam is much more acceptable, or even "Folks". Any way, the party was a success in the hotel even though we had to drag a lady off reception desk to serve us some drinks from the bar. The weather was surprisingly gorgeous (early March) and our roomk was reasonably well-appointed. In the summer it would be very good to share in the facilities afforded by the Manor's sister hotel Luccombe Hall (virtually next door) where they have a spa and an indoor pool as well as offering massage and beauty treatments. Two of the 31 party guests went for a swim in the evening and enjoyed it but when we visited the pool in the morning it was like walking into a steambath. Maybe better later in the day.

Room Tip: It's obvious really .... at least make sure you can get a glimmpse of the sea. Even though we we...
1  Thank piercewilliam991
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We booked a short break at this hotel over the New Year. We tried to get in to Luccombe Hall where we had been before but they were fully booked. This hotel was available at a very good price so we thought we would try it. We are glad we did! It was really lovely - the room, the food, and the amazing view from the conservatory dining room. Sadly, it was dark at dinner time but the garden was nicely lit up. We shall certainly be going back again! The only thing that could be improved was the large bedrooom window which was not double glazed. The draught coming in was quite something!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea facing room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hazel H

Thank you for reviewing your trip over the New Year period with us. I am glad you had an enjoyable time. It is great to hear you found the food, room and view all to your liking. The Appley Restaurant situated in the conservatory has a fantastic view of the bay. Now the evenings are getting lighter, this will be able to be enjoyed at both breakfast and dinner. I am sorry that you found the windows a bit draughty in your room. Being an older building that retains many original features, we do not have double glazed windows. I do hope your room was not chilly. We do have additional heaters available, on request. Hopefully we will see you back at Luccombe Manor again soon.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Stayed here on a deal, bed breckfast and dinner. Rooms in the extension a bit bland but well furnished with comfortable beds. Breckfast and dinner fine for the money with a good choice at dinner. Waiting staff exceptional with nothing too much trouble. would reccomend

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tim J

Thank you for your comments following your recent short break with us. I am glad you found your bed comfortable and trust you had a great nights sleep on it. I am sorry that you thought the decor a little bland in your bedroom. We welcome a wide range of guests at Luccombe Manor so try to keep the decor slightly on the safer side. Having said that, we are not a purpose built hotel so all our bedrooms are different and on a future visit, you may find one of our other bedrooms more appealing. It is good to hear that you thought the breakfast and dinner was good value for money and that you felt our restaurant staff offered great customer service. I do hope you will visit us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
0 mi away
11 mi away
North House
North House
#1 of 5 in Cowes

Been to Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!