“Wonderful Stay”

Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Shanklin
Reviewed 22 March 2010

I was staying in this hotel last week and was lucky enough to get one of the rooms that they recently refurbished. The bed was so comfortable that I had the best nights sleep that I had in ages, the bathroom was a nice and simple clean white. The views looking out onto the Solent and beyond were spectacular, and it there is a park close by that if you're out at the right time and quiet enough you may spot one of the rare red squirrels. I didn't but I am willing to return to the hotel to try again!
The staff were friendly and polite, the restaurant was neat and clean before every one of the meals, of which there was good choice available, as well as a well rounded wine list.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 March 2010

Nice location, decoration not good, food dire. Staff very friendly but restaurant staff could do with training. They have avocado coloured bathroom suites in rooms that have allegedly been refurbished, carpet was the same colour and looked rather old too.

Shame as it has potential..

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Morgannonumber
matt_iow, Owner at Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2010

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to us.
Having read your review I was somewhat suprised your found the food dire given the fantastic feedback we have received from our guests and the Hotel inspector who recently informed us the food was of four star standards. I am aware that the restaurant ran out of one option on the menu one evening during your stay and the chef cooked you the same meal with a better cut of meat however you raised no other issues during your stay.
Having already emailed you for further information without a response from you it would be helpful if you could contact me to so I can ensure any other issue I am unaware of can be rectified.
Also to clarify you were not in one of our refurbished rooms all of which have new white bathrooms and fully refurbished rooms and furniture and carpets so the rooms that have been refurbished are to a high standard. I am not sure why you felt your room was a refurbished room as at no point were you informed it was a new room.
We would be happy to invite you back to the hotel to stay in one of these refurbished rooms as two thirds of the hotel has now been refurbished with the other rooms to be completed this winter when the hotel is closed.

Matthew and Emma

Reviewed 18 October 2009

the hotel is in a lovely quiet spot high on the clifftop at Shanklin with beautiful sea views and steps down to the beach.. if you are fit, and its also just a short walk from the old town with all the thatched buildings. There is a very nice garden with outdoor pool and tea rooms (summer only) The food was very good, very fresh and hot with a good choice, and the staff were helpful and welcoming. Some of the decor is a bit old fashioned but they are slowly re-furbishing all the areas and everything is clean and comfortable. A nice touch was complimentarypapers, tea/coffee in the lounge area during the daytime. The sister hotel Luccombe Hall has more facilities including an indoor pool which guests of Luccombe Manor can use. We would certainly want to stay there again. We booked through Travelzoo and got a package which included the ferry, zoo tickets and bottle of house wine! The Isle of wight has many interesting places to visit and is small enough to get round easily.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anniepops
Reviewed 23 September 2009

We have returned from 2 nights at the Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel, and had a really good time....The hotel is rather old-fashioned in its decor - with flock wallpaper and highly patterned carpets and an abundance of red everywhere, but this adds to its ambience in a way.....The Isle of wight is somewhat traditional as a holiday place and the hotel was fitting to this.
Our room was fine, nothing grand, but I suspect we had one of the poorer rooms as we booked very last minute, and my husband poked his head around the door of others as the cleaners were doing their cleaning, and said that some of the rooms were very nice indeed.
The food was quite good, very good breakfasts and the dinners were fine, with a good choice of dishes, though they were a little mean with the vegetables we thought.
The swimming pool - outdoors - looked ok, and the indoor one (at the sister hotel) was lovely - not very big, but wonderfully warm, with a jacuzzi and good sauna - very relaxing!
I would recommend the massage - I had a full-body massage (for £35) - it lasted an hour and I felt totally relaxed afterwards - she is a very professional therapist and I thoroughly recommend her - but book in advance, she gets fully-booked.
The staff were helpful - especially the young women on Reception.
The best thing about the hotel was the view over the sea - truly spectacular - and, because we had perfect weather, blue skies and sunshine, it felt as though we were abroad! The gardens, too are extremely well-kept and pleasant.
Really good-value (we paid £99.00 each for two nights, including the ferry and all meals)
The walk from the hotel to Ventnor is worth doing - as with all cliff-top walks it is hilly, but goes through wood-land and along the way is a very pleasant cafe with spectacular views - the walk took approx. 1 and a half hours. Godshill is pleasant to visit, very touristic though, but pretty with lots of thatched cottages; cannot recommend the toy-museum though, hardly anything in it apart from Dinky toys!
I understand that the hotel closes in November for the winter, but I would recommend visiting it in the autumn (as we did) or early in the season, as I believe that they do regular deals early and late in the season - only trouble is that you need good weather as there is not a great deal to do if the weather is poor, and the views are, for me, what made the break so good. Mainly mature people were at the hotel, but I guess that;s due to the time of year - maybe rather dull if you want a lot of excitement!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank asiagirl
Reviewed 18 September 2009

My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful few days at this hotel in mid-September. We had a large first floor bedroom with marvelous views over the Channel.We booked at a special price which included half board and ferry and represented good value for money. The food was imaginative and always piping hot and the staff were efficient and friendly. The availability of an indoor swimming pool and sauna at a nearby sister hotel was a real bonus.
Some of the decorations and furnishings are a little tired and dated but we understand a refurbishment programme is under way. This in no way affected the enjoyment of our break and we would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2009

We spent a week at Luccombe Manor with two children (aged 10 and 13). We had some concerns having read the reviews beforehand. However, the welcome was warm and friendly with a quick guided tour. Yes, the decor is a bit dated, with loud wallpaper and bright patterned carpet, but we were on holiday, not buying the place! Our room was comfortable (one double and two single beds) and had all the facilities we needed (tea/coffee, hairdryer, plenty of hangers in the wardrobe, clean towels, etc). We found the food very good. Our kids tried some new food and we were aware that on other tables where the kids didn't find something they liked on the menu, the kitchen had cooked them something else. Our kids used the outside pool every day and we eventually found the indoor pool in the adjacent hotel and had that to ourselves one afternoon. Don't go to this hotel if you want to be in the centre of town with lots of nightlife. It is in the old part of Shanklin, near some lovely gardens, with great views and the beach close by down quite a lot of steps (but don't let that put you off). Tea and coffee are available free all day and the tea gardens serve the most amazing cakes. Good place for a family holiday.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2009

We arrived in the late afternoon after a somewhat horrendous journey from cloudy Lancashire, to be greeted by blue skies and warm sunshine that were to remain our constant companions throughout the full fourteen days of our break.
We were greeted most courteously by the reception staff and were given a tour of the hotel and its facilities before being shown to our spacious twin-bedded room, which boasted superb views of the well-tended garden and the rather bijou green-hued swimming pool before opening out into what could have been a delightful panoramic sea view but was somewhat obstructed by a line of trees, which afforded us only a partial vista of the channel far below the cliff top setting. There may be reasons why these trees must remain on the cliff edge, but if not then I would certainly recommend their removal, which would give guests a greatly enhanced sea view.
After a quick shower in the simple but functional en-suite bathroom, we made our way down to the small but well-equipped bar; ordered our pre-dinner drinks, and retired to the large, well-furnished conservatory where we perused the well-balanced menu. At the appointed hour we took our seats in the airy, high ceilinged dining room, which to one side had superb garden views, whilst the large French windows afforded the majority of diners a classic seascape. We were then swiftly and efficiently served the dishes we had earlier selected and I am delighted to report that the fare was as tasty as the menu suggested. This repast was accompanied by a most acceptable bottle of sensibly priced pinot grigio, which complemented the meal perfectly. I
The setting sun found us reclining on comfortable leather sofas in the conservatory, where we helped ourselves to a seemingly limitless supply of coffee and after-dinner mints, complemented by a fine Cognac for me (not limitless unfortunately) and a Gran Marnier for ‘She who must be dined’. As the skies gradually faded from blue to deep purple, we were entranced by the twinkling lights of passing ferries and pleasure boats, which, we were informed, were making their regular evening voyages across the channel.
Finally and after much friendly conversation; a ‘nightcap’ or two and the inevitable ‘one for the road’, we retired to our cosy and comfortable beds. There to sleep the sleep of the just and the well satisfied. All that disturbed our slumbers on that first night was the occasional call of nocturnal birds and the distant sound of a passing ship’s horn.
The new day dawned (as did the following dozen or so) with the morning sun streaming through chinks in our bedroom curtains as if audaciously daring us to remain abed for much longer. In an effort to recover from the previous days horrendous ‘rite of passage’ from northern rain-filled skies, we decided to temporarily abandon the car and spend the day exploring the local area. We were truly delighted with Shanklin and its environs both old and new as we explored every nook and cranny, and it was with rather heavy steps that we somewhat wearily made our way back along the beach and up the 160 or so steps (only once) that eventually led us back to the attractive tea gardens situated in the lower grounds of Luccombe Manor. During the next hour or so we succumbed to the temptation of a clotted cream tea before retiring to the poolside loungers and wondered what delights would be on the dinner menu that night.
The rest of our sun-drenched holiday was spent exploring the many delights that the Isle of Wight had to offer and believe me there were many. During this pleasurable sojourn, all at Luccombe Manor did their utmost to make our stay memorable – and it was – apart from a couple of hiccups.
HIC 1. The management, in an effort to cater for the smoking fraternity, had set aside an outdoor area, replete with tables and ashtrays. It was somewhat unfortunate however that the area set aside was immediately below our bedroom window! Now I like to think that I maintain balanced views on most subjects and I certainly have a certain amount of sympathy with both hoteliers and publicans who, in an endeavour to cater for all their guests, including the smokers, have by necessity, set up exterior smoking areas to cater for those who must indulge. However, this sympathy was sorely tested on numerous occasions when clouds of noxious fumes filled our bedroom at all times of the day but was particularly irritating in the late evening.
Our initial complaint to the management was not met favourably. However, and to their credit, they did offer to move us into what turned out to be a much superior room. So at least we were away from the ‘problem’, but I fear that the hotel will continue to have complaints from guests who are unfortunate enough to be allocated the rooms in question unless they re-think their policy. The hotel grounds are certainly extensive enough to erect a custom built shelter away from the main building. Failing this then I believe the very least they should do is erect an awning between the smoking area and the bedrooms in question.
HIC 2. My advice as to how the hotel could sell more sherry was not to well received by the otherwise pleasant but not very knowledgeable young lady who served us our pre-dinner drinks. You see she would insist on serving our sherry in a liqueur glass (small) rather than a standard sherry glass (larger). However, the restaurant manager eventually put her right, and although the sherry consumption at the hotel increased dramatically during the rest of our stay, the takings remained rather static!
Taking everything into consideration, I have to say that our stay was enjoyable. If we ever return to the Isle of Wight I would certainly consider staying here again. However, I would certainly be looking for their ‘special offers’ on websites such as Travel Zoo’, as we learned from fellow guests that although we did not pay ‘over the odds’, we could have made considerable savings by booking this way.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
0 mi away
#21 of 29 in Sandown
The Clifton
The Clifton
#4 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!