“Lovely family break”

Lower Hyde Holiday Park - Park Resorts
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was given 5 stars on the basis that we had good company (extended family), great weather, a brand new caravan and an amazing deal. - we booked last year, so got it for the same price etc. The location of the caravan was good - Locks Green - very close to the amenities, but quiet as well. My young daughter loved the swimming pool etc, whilst my 17 year old nephew loved the late evening entertainment. I generally left the entertainment at 10pm with my young daughter as it began to get rather adulty, which was a bit of a shame (lap dancing competitions etc). It would have been nice to keep all the entertainment in a family vein, so we could have stayed a little longer. Overall, the location of the site is great. It takes under 10 mins to walk to the beach. Lidls is less than 5 mins away, so you can eat cheapily. The reception staff were very helpful. If you get a good deal, this is ideal. If you get good weather, it rivals many foreign holidays, and without the hassle of flying etc. Thanks for a lovely time Lower Hyde, and yes, we have already booked for next year....

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Park R, General Manager at Lower Hyde Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Thank you for your review. It is such a delight to read that you enjoyed your stay again with us. Locks Green is a lovely area within the park. The site is in an ideal location for exploring the island, as well as being close to the local town and seafront.

We are pleased that you found the staff to be helpful and friendly and we look forward to seeing you again next year!

01983 866 131

Write a ReviewReviews (1,282)

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We booked this resort as a cheap base to travel the island. Our minimum requirements were that it had hot water, beds were comfortable, it was clean and allowed dogs.
Unfortunately the mattresses in the double didn't even fit the bed frame with a third of it hanging off the side. The feel of springs were so bad I used 2 spare quilts in the cupboards to put under the sheet. Me and the misses are small ppl but spent the week unable to get a decent night sleep as the bed was so small.
On arrival the caravan had a very musky smell however being a caravan that allowed dogs I wasn't overly concerned. The biggest problem came with the spiders. The whole caravan was covered in spider webs which made it impossible to get the kids down as they are scared of them at the best of times. I done my best to clear it up.
The shower was pretty poor and impossible to get a constant heat.
The entertainment was average at best but the staff seemed friendly.
The biggest concern was the pool hygiene, as I work in a health club I can categorically state that it is below where it needs to be, ppl were walking in and out with outdoor footwear on and the lifeguard didn't say a word.
I asked the lifeguard why the indoor pool was cloudy and he explained that there was an issue with the chemical dosing system, he said the chlorine level was at 2 (which is in normal range) however it clearly wasn't, it irritated my eyes and my daughters eyes. I don't believe for one second the levels were at an acceptable range and I have experience of managing pools.(obviously the above is my opinion but I can not confirm if it is or isn't fact regarding the levels)

The venue is in a great location with two supermarkets on its door step. Cooking and cleaning facilities are good and the site itself is very clean and well maintained but we won't be going back I'm afraid.

Stayed: July 2014
Park R, General Manager at Lower Hyde Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to read that you were disappointed with your recent stay with us. We do encourage guests to inform reception if they have any issues with their accommodation so that we can do our best to rectify them. Our accommodation team can also address any cleaning problems and may have been able to change the mattress for you.

The maintenance team would have been able to check the shower and have the temperature adjusted if necessary.

We hope that you will consider Park Resorts again for your future holidays.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We have been to Lower Hyde quite a few times and always find the staff helpful and understanding. The facilities in the main are very well maintained and the caravans and chalets comfortable. A special mention for Corrine (From Holywood) must be made. This lady is a one in a million and will bend over backwards to help. Thanks for a most enjoyable break.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your lovely review. We are delighted that you enjoyed the facilities on offer, and that your caravan was comfortable.
I will pass your lovely comments on to Corinne. She is a wonderful member of the team and will appreciate your kind words.

We do hope that you will return to Lower Hyde again soon.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The site wardens are amazing, facilities wonderful and so clean. We have stayed here before and it just gets better and better. Lynn and Marisa are so helpful, they've got wonderful local knowledge and nothing is too much trouble.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your lovely review regarding your recent camping visit with us. Lin and Marissa do a wonderful job on the site ensuring that the facilities are kept clean and tidy. As they are local, they are able to offer plenty of information on Shanklin and the surrounding area.

Thank you once again, and hopefully you will come back and see us soon.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Just arrived back from a week here with my family. Having arrived an hour early we found out our caravan was already ready which was a nice surprise. Caravan was very modern and clean and had everything we needed. Swimming pool and kids areas always busy but in a good way, nice atmosphere and kept everyone busy. However the one thing I did want to really compliment on was the entertainment. Having been a Holiday Park entertaintment manager previously I know how hard this job can be especially in peak season. The team were professional at all times and probably one of the best entertainment teams I've seen on ANY parks (and I've been to a lot!!! :) I'm 20 so I didn't get involved in any of the children's activities but watching from afar you can tell it was wildly popular with all involved. Their west end show was fantastic, beautifully choreographed (my only nit pick would have been it would be nice to hear others sing, only one female did all the women's songs) overall I would just like to say if you're visiting this park make an effort to watch the entertainment, from my experience it was the best there is! Would come back time and time again.

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for such positive feedback, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We do try to allow guests into their accommodation as soon as possible once they are on park, and I am glad that yours was ready earlier than expected.

We do have a fantastic Entertainments team here at Lower Hyde who offer a great range of activities to suit all ages, day and night. I will pass your compliments on to them as they do work extremely hard.

We are delighted that you would come back and visit us again, and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed the whole week from end July to beginning of August. We got out of our stay what we wanted, using our silver caravan in Gatcombe as a base for activities around the island with our two small grandchildren. We used the play area for the children, which suited them, after we had explored during the day and the shop for mini essentials. We found the shop assistants pleasant and I don't know why others have said otherwise. The reception were helpful when we arrived and later when we had a flat tyre, and the grounds were well maintained.

We didn't use the restaurant, pool or the entertainment at all- in fact as a minor point I was put off the entertainment entrance by all the gambling machines you have to negotiate to get into the main area as I didn't feel it was right for the little ones to get into that at all.

if you want to stay on the park all the time I can see there wouldn't be enough for some people to be entertained but that wasn't an issue for us as we were out and about all day every day visiting places on the island, which was great. It would be good if there was more parking as it was occasionally awkward to park in the evenings and in fact someone whacked ours one night, no doubt trying to get out. Also a bit more grass for kids to kick a ball around or sports games generally rather than simply the tarmac area would improve things.

Our caravan was excellent, clean and absolutely no complaints. The park could keep an eye out for people unrelated to current staff using the facilities and have somehow blagged camping or entertainment passes which the rest of us have paid for, especially in busy times.

All in all we enjoyed our stay on the island and, more to the point, the grandchildren did too. We haven't thought about next year yet but probably a similar place on the mainland might be on our agenda. I see Lower Hyde as most suitable for the younger children.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We are glad that you found your Silver caravan met your needs and was clean and comfortable.
It is fantastic that you found the staff in all departments to be helpful and friendly.

We are a family-oriented park and therefore do offer a full entertainment programme to keep children of all ages entertained, but we are glad that you were able to make the most of your stay visiting the island’s attractions.

We did have wonderful weather for your stay which was an added bonus! Thank you once again for your review, and I do hope that you decide to visit us again.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed at lower hyde on 26/July for 7 nights.having already visited this park 5 times previously with my daughter and this visit with our grandchildren we found the camp and facilities great value for money but our accommodation very poor I booked a gold and upgraded to a gold plus but was very disappointed as the accommodation was dirty and very run down I asked to be moved and was Moved to number 37 Blackwater this accommodation was cleaner but I felt it was more a bronze caravan and not a gold plus standard I have now learnt from a previous comment left by a visiter stayed the same dates as myself was in a gold plus caravan which was brand-new caravan .I feel really let down by park resorts I paid 900.00 pound for a week's holiday in a poor quality accommodation I don't think I will be returning again perhaps I should have complained louder.

1  Thank Susan J
Park R, General Manager at Lower Hyde Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for your recent review. We are disappointed to read that you were not happy with your accommodation during your stay.

The unit that you were moved to in Blackwater was a Gold Plus caravan. We do have brand new Gold Plus caravans on park this year, but they incur an additional supplement, therefore the guest you are referring to would have paid more than a normal Gold Plus.

Thank you once again for your review.

01983 866 131

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Whitecliff Bay Holiday Park
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
Luccombe Hall Hotel
Luccombe Hall Hotel
#6 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to Lower Hyde Holiday Park - Park Resorts? Share your experiences!