“Fantastic People, well except one”

Lower Hyde Holiday Park - Park Resorts
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I have just spent two weeks at lower Hyde touring park, I have to say I had a wonderful time (we had great weather so that helped) the two ladies who manage the touring park (Lin and Marisa) are wonderful, very helpful and nothing seems to be any trouble to them (actually one thing does but I will get to that in a while) I have also to mention Lorraine in main reception who helped me amend my ferry booking and the security team for looking after my autistic sons scooter when he accidentally left it at the clubhouse one night. We enjoyed the everything the park had to offer, and we have rebooked to return next year! As I mentioned above there is one thing that does seem a problem for the touring team and that seems to be a man who works there and I can only say ( as I don't have his name ) he has something to do with Gas bottles! This man is the most miserable Sod I have ever heard, I had the misfortune of being in this mans immediate area on 4 occasions, the first he was walking up the main road shouting at two lads ( to get off the park ) when they informed him they were paying guests he said "well you better have passes because I will make sure you don't get back on here" I then on two occasions heard him berate the touring team ( in front of guests, in his constant monotonous whine about gas bottles, when the young girl tried to answer him he just shouted he down, one guest looked very embarrassed and walked away from the office with her child, he then while I was having my ferry amended walked in and started moaning about the touring team, to the lady who was serving me, in front of an office full of guests!
I would happily rate this park 5 stars, but can't unless someone at Park Resorts addresses staff professionalism or gives this man a non public facing Job, so go to Lower Hyde have fun, enjoy the helpful staff, but beware of the gas man!

2  Thank yobetam
Park R, General Manager at Lower Hyde Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Thank you for your review. Our touring wardens Lin and Marissa are fantastic and I will also pass on your lovely comments to the reception and security teams.

We can only apologise on behalf of the staff member you referred to in your review who you felt was rude. Park Resorts pride themselves on having friendly, approachable staff and we are sorry that on this occasion this wasn’t so.

We would love to see you again and I do hope that you will visit us in the future.

01983 866 131

Write a ReviewReviews (1,283)

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my family got back yesterday from lower hyde holiday park it was a lovely park we had a gold caravan and was lovely we had a bath and a washing machine it was very big. The park is very big the club house is not massive so can be quite hard to find a table if you are not early the kids entertainment was good the reps do work really hard are caravan was really clean the out door pool was ok not massive. I'd say the best beach to visit is sandown . We went to blackgang chine which my younger kids loved we love the Isle of Wight and we will be visiting lower hyde again

Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for your review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your break with us and that your accommodation exceeded your expectations.

We do have a large Showtime Bar but this does get very busy during peak times, so I apologise if you had problems with seating.

The island is blessed with some lovely beaches and both Sandown and Shanklin were awarded with Blue Flags.

It is wonderful that you will be rebooking and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Lower Hyde was really fun! I enjoyed using the pool facilities almost everyday. The pool was sometimes cold but we really loved it. The playground was very nice and the swings are fun! The options of what to do in a day was good and there was entertainment for adults aswell as children. Sparkys Krew Club entertained the whole family.
Lin and Marisa were very helpful. My little cousin was constantly saying "I'm just going to the nursery! they don't mind me there!" They came to say goodbye when we left and are very very very friendly. Thank you Lin and Marisa!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

What a lovely review. It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your recent camping stay with us. We do have a beautiful touring site and our lovely wardens Lin and Marissa work hard to keep everyone happy during their stay.

We are pleased that your children enjoyed Sparky’s Crew and participated in the activities provided by our Teamstars.

We do hope that you will book to return again in the future and thank you once again.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Just returned from a 5 day break at Lower Hyde Holiday Park. I came back disappointed overall as with the money you pay - Park Resorts really should be doing better!!!

Stayed in a 3 bedroom silver caravan. My kids (16 and 12) kept referring to the caravan as just standard. The bronze caravans must be pretty dire is all i can say. My recommendation is to stay in a gold caravan or better if you can. The caravan on arrival was found to have no handle on one of the bedroom doors meaning you could not close the door from the inside and all tv channels were not working despite re tuning. There was a gap inside the shower cubicle which could be dangerous for small children but we didnt report this fault. The other 2 faults were fixed the next day although the tv was simply fixed by removing all the channels that did not work. There were quite a few too...

The outdoor pool at the Lower Hyde site was too small and loungers were sparse. We used the outdoor pool at Landguard which was a lot nicer. Again there was a shortage of loungers. Why park resorts dont supply more is a mystery especially for high season.
The indoor pool at Lower Hyde was so small so we did not use. The indoor pool at landguard was ok

The showbar at Lower Hyde is one of its star facilities. Its very large and a good atmosphere is created. The bar service is good and the staff very friendly. Overall though the entertainments acts were poor and it gives the impression of low cost budget set aside for it. On one of the nights when we stayed for the 'late night hub' the dj-ing was so poor it was embarassing. i.e no music coming on when you name a track. Basic stuff and again Park resorts you need to up your game here...

The showbar at Landguard was a very small bar area with raised platform for karaoke basically. We went there one evening and wished we hadn't bothered.

We ate at the restaurant on 2 of the nights and the food was very good and priced ok. On our last night the food took 2 hours to arrive. This is simply not good enough.

The park is in a good location as it is only a 5 minute walk in to Shanklin with its shops. (a little longer to the old town).

Overall we had a nice holiday but Park Resorts did not provide the best standards and you can't help feel you were somehow cheated. Overall poor value for money. I stay on Caravan parks 2 or 3 times a year and I would say Park Resorts do not live up to the standards of Parkdean or Haven and I wouldn't stay at a Park Resorts again.

Room Tip: You have to go Gold standard at least for a nice caravan.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that your recent stay did not meet your expectations. We do advise guests to report to reception with any problems they may have with their caravan, so that we can work with our accommodation and maintenance teams to resolve these matters as soon as possible. We are pleased that the issues reported were rectified, but should they have persisted we could have revisited the van again.

Our inside pool is only a splash pool as advertised, but there are 3 other pools for guests to use, the outside pool at Lower Hyde and the much larger indoor and outdoor pools at Landguard. Due to the excellent weather we have been experiencing on the island, the sun loungers have been in high demand and as with holidays abroad can be busy in peak season.

We do apologise for the wait you had with regards to your meal in the restaurant. Again unfortunately we are very busy in peak times and there can be a delay in food orders, but I will pass your comments on to the complex manager.

We do value our guests’ feedback so thank you once again for your review.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Starting with a positive we stayed in a very well appointed caravan, but it was a platinum so I had high expectations. As for the site itself I was sadly disappointed. The pools were small and in need of repair and updating, its location right next to main road to caravans made it dangerous for adults and children. Minimal seating area around pool made the whole experience very unpleasant. Good sized entertainment arena but let down by the entertainment, the staff did their best and were friendly but low budgets for entertainment was obvious, so we chose not to visit after a couple of nights. Security staff were just rude on occasions. Overall this was a nice site with wooded areas, our caravan was clean and comfortable but funding for entertainment facilities was very poor. sorry park resorts but I will not be returning.

2  Thank lynne d

We are sorry to read that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. Our indoor pool at Lower Hyde is advertised as a splash pool in the brochure but we do have a good-sized outdoor pool. Guests also have the added benefit of being able to use the facilities at our sister park Landguard which has a large indoor pool and outside pool.

We do have a large entertainment complex, and we pride ourselves on having great Teamstars who provide a large range of activities throughout the day and night for all ages.

We apologise if you felt that the security staff were rude on occasions. They certainly do not wish to appear this way as their main concern is to keep all our guests happy, in a safe environment.

Thank you once again for sharing your comments.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Having just returned from our another Isle of Wight holiday thought I'd but an update on trip advisor ..

Great as always - mentioned that playground would be good for kids and they have added swings but turns out not the best location as close to touring reception and traffic + bikes = watch out !!! Pitches are all still nice and big so plenty of space to spread out.

Lin and Marisa - Many thanks to you for all your help and for running the unofficial crèche ... at least that's what my 5 year old Harry kept calling the touring reception office. Genuinely think they'll miss his "Oh my God" catchphrase. You always make the stay easy and are always there with help and advise. See you next July !!!!

Only downside was that the 2nd week (first week August) site got busy very quickly and did struggle at times with showers ... porta cabin extras were opened and helped but biggest issue was that cleaning was always being done between 8-10 ... which meant shutting during busy period ... This would be so easily sorted by getting cleaners in 6-8 ...

Entertainment good as always for kids - didn't see any of the main entertainments this year as never there too late.

Also been some good updates to the entertainment complex too which have freshened it up - and improved the restaurant / smaller bar immensely.

The best review I can suggest you can give anywhere is booking before you leave .... both myself, brother-in-law and father-in-law all rebooked whilst there ..

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your lovely review. We are delighted to read that you had another great stay on the touring site. Lin and Marissa work tirelessly to keep the site and facilities clean and tidy.
I will pass your comments on about the cleaning times on the site. Unfortunately during busy periods the facilities are in constant use and finding a convenient time to close the units is difficult.

As you mentioned we have had a lovely refurbishment of the complex this year and the restaurant is proving very popular.

Thank you once again for your review and for booking again. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Lengthy telephone conversation with Sales advisor (named Tarn?) regarding facilities and suitability of park and accommodation for my self and family. This young lady was so polite, helpful and concerned for me. I felt truly individual and believed she really cared about my concerns. If all staff are as super as this one it will be the holiday of a lifetime. Can't wait to book it up.

1  Thank LYLLJT

Thank you for your review, I will pass your lovely comments onto Tarn. All of our staff strive to be helpful and welcoming, ensuring a great holiday experience for all.

We are always pleased to assist guests prior to booking, giving them any information required about the park or island.

We look forward to seeing you in the near future and please do not hesitate to contact the park directly should you have any further queries.

01983 866 131

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Shanklin Beach Hotel
The Orchards Holiday Caravan and Camping Park
Rookley Country Park
Rookley Country Park
#2 of 2 in Rookley

Been to Lower Hyde Holiday Park - Park Resorts? Share your experiences!