“Perfect”
Review of Daish's Hotel

Daish's Hotel
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Shanklin
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Just returned from a weeks holiday at this lovely old hotel. Everything was great including bar prices and transport to and from Derby with safe experienced drivers.I found the staff extremely obliging and pleasant to talk to.I am always apprehensive when I stay somewhere new, but I felt immediately at home there and intend to return soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Carole M
DavidandJoatDaishs, Manager at Daish's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Thank you very much for your lovely, glad you enjoyed your holiday and felt at home here with us. Look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

I am definitely not wearing ‘rose tinted glasses’ when I say that this hotel is superb. Let me say from the start that when it comes to hotels I like to stay in style and I am very fussy about standards. Having stayed in top 5* London hotel luxury only just recently I feel that I am qualified to make judgements about hotel standards.
I stayed at Daish’s Hotel in Shanklin for seven nights last week and I cannot find anything but praise for the establishment.
The hotel prides itself on checking clients in as smoothly and as quickly as possible which is what the hotel manager and his staff did. This was a great relief after a long journey. My suitcase was delivered to my room almost as soon as I walked in the door.
I was given a ‘Premier room’ which I had asked for when I first booked the holiday. The room, which overlooked the garden, was comfortable, very spacious, clean and above all quiet. If there was one criticism it would be that although the room has obviously been decorated over and over again it has not been modernised save for the modern looking bathroom. Having said that there was a really nice warm, friendly feeling about the room and I had the most comfortable nights’ sleep I have ever spent in any hotel.
The warm, friendly feeling I felt in the room was also present in the rest of the hotel and in particular the dining room, or should I say rooms, as there were two dining areas. It is true that over 150 people (3 coach parties) swooped on the dining rooms at 6.30pm but never at any time did I feel hurried or even ignored. My praise goes to both the kitchen and restaurant staff for providing us all with a fantastic varied menu of good quality food presented efficiently and courteously and always with a smile and a caring attitude. Nothing was too much trouble and requests for more, not that one needed more food, were always granted. Even the odd person who changed their mind about the dish they had ordered was no inconvenience.
Yes we did have to choose our evening meal at breakfast but what else could one expect when the establishment deals with so many people? And in my experience this is no different from any other hotel of this type I have stayed at.
I must confess I was not looking for every single cobweb that often forms when one is not looking, nor wires dangling. To be honest I didn’t see anything like this at all. An old listed building like this does not readily allow additional wiring etc. to be hidden very easily.
In conclusion, I can understand the concerns of 'BroadsideDerby' but really one has to understand that if you book to go on a coach holiday one must accept that there will be restrictions such as inflexible breakfast and dinner times. This is perfectly normal, but if this is not acceptable then one should stay privately at a star rated hotel. That way one can dictate one’s own terms.
Also the fact that the hotel is consistently fully booked, which is testament in itself, will mean that the hotel is well ‘worn’ but it is not shabby by any means. On the contrary it is very bright and airy.
As far as I am concerned this is a superb hotel which does really well to provide an excellent stay for old and young people as well as families with young children – the facilities as described in the brochure are excellent. Over the past two years I have been on coach holidays with two very large coach companies and the standard came nowhere near the standard set by Daish’s Hotel at Shanklin.
Well done Daish’s Shanklin Hotel keep up the standards and don’t let negative comments stop you from providing excellent holidays.

Room Tip: always tell the management if there is something which concerns you rooms overlooking the garden...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank musicman301
DavidandJoatDaishs, Manager at Daish's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

What a lovely review to receive, thank you for taking the time to write so many nice things about the hotel and staff.
As you are season traveller and have been to many places and hotels it makes your review even more satisfying to read.
It was a pleasure to meet you both.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Went with the family, everyone was very considerate, especially since we are quite a big one, the waiter we had - Aaron I think his name was - was excellent always prompt and never tried to rush us and was really friendly. Other areas of the hotel matched this standard as well, with the manager entertaining the young ones before dinner. The maids always choose the right times to clean the rooms so you were never in each others way. Bar staff were always helpful and always within earshot of the bar. The hotel has definately improved since we came last year with plenty of things to do in or out of it.

Room Tip: Room 31 is an amazing room if you don't mind the sound of traffic but other then that the room i...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank mirrorgirlontheleft

Thank you for your lovely review. We are glad you enjoyed your holiday once again with us and look forward to welcoming you again next year for the third time!

Reviewed 23 August 2013

I have to agree with much of the review written by BroadsideDerby, their experience was very much like mine!
Ferry Trip- One of the highlights,loved this bit.
Coach- Great, the coach was early and the drive was smooth with enough comfort stops.The only criticism I have is that the driver did not introduce herself. She started communicating when everyone was aboard but I think a brief "Good Morning I am ....etc would have been much better.
Hotel- Check in speedy and efficient.Generally,without looking too closely the Hotel appears fine.Downstairs the dining room and reception area is nice however,certain areas need major TLC due to wallpaper/paint scuffs and the fire doors are "grubby".There was a large cobweb on the corridor near our room and it was there when we arrived and still there when we left 4 days later!I do wonder how Health and Safety have allowed some of the wiring in the Public areas and the residents rooms. There were wires hanging down in the TV/Pool room near the window and the TV wiring in the 2 rooms I viewed were poorly installed and lacked care.
The swimming pool looked ok but it had a strong chlorine smell which put me of fgoing in it.The smell also penetrated into our shower room too which was odd.
Food- It is traditional home cooked style,roast chicken,lamb,beef, and there was an adequate amount but the dining times were inflexible.YOU WILL EAT BREAKFAST AT 8.30 and Dinner at 6.30. Hence everyone descended on the dining room at the same time making the room hot and noisy.Service felt rushed, once finished the plate was whisked away and the next course served.The waiting staff were under huge pressure to serve everyone all at once . Also you have to make your dinner choice at breakfast which I found odd. They also run out of yogurts 10 mins into service and the orange juice was not chilled on one of the days.
Trips- disappointed Osbourne House was not on and no explanation given as to why.I know another guest had made contact with the Hotel and had been told it would be on.The West Wight trip was good and Wayne the driver, very good.
ROOMS- VERY DISAPPOINTING.I had a twin,number 56, the bed and bedding were clean and comfy and that is the only positive . Furniture was dated,chipped and marked and need to be skipped. Shower room was small and was advocado green so what 35 years old and it showed. The WC cistern was a nice clash of white! Signs of mould on the tiles and paintwork. New curtain pole fitted but noone has filled in the holes from the old fittings. General lack of care.Also no external window, the window looked out onto an internal corridor so the room could get stuffy.
My Parents had paid extra for a Premium room, it was better than mine but lacked care as well. The bathroom was nice, but the bedroom did not have a dressing table even though there was plenty of room for one.The curtains were poorly hung, the net curtain ripped and the wiring to the TV was danging about. My Mother did complain and was given a stand alone mirror but "David" the manager remained silent and non committal and let another member of staff to offer a solution which really did not make up for the missing piece of furniture.
On the whole the rooms were very disappointing and with regard to mine I would have been ashamed to rent it out. I did ask to move but was told the Hotel was full and no enquiry was made as to why I wanted to move. Another instance of a lack of care!
So I would not return to Daish Hotel Shanklin and as this was my first experience it will be my LAST....NEVER AGAIN.

Room Tip: If you must go ask for a newly refurbished room, number 40 looked nice
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Joheppi
DavidandJoatDaishs, General Manager at Daish's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your holiday with us.
We feel that many of your comments are unjust and incorrect.
It's clearly stated in the room booklet and in the welcome speech on arrival that breakfast is served between 8.30-9.00 and dinner is served 6.30-7.00. (During the summer months).
With regard to your rooms, we are sorry they were not adequate for your needs.
Sorry the hotel wasn't for you but as you can see by the majority of comments our guests enjoy the hotel and it's staff.

Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

Well, as they say, time flies when you're having fun, if that's the measure of a good holiday then this one was amazing. We returned yesterday from a 7 night stay at this hotel and never in my life has a week gone by so quickly. After staying at this hotel last year for 5 days we already knew what to expect but even knowing that, this break has exceeded our expectation. Me and my wife travelled with our 3 children, a 12, 7 and a 3 year old. We also had in laws with us and, some good friends who we actually met at the same hotel last year and have now become very close friends.
This hotel is predominately used by the "older" generation but boy have they gone out of their way to accommodate the younger generation. Right from the minute we arrived and David (the hotel manager) welcomed us, the children received welcome goody bags. Throughout the stay they were thought about and accommodated for. A particular mention to David who played lawn games with them every evening before dinner. Our daughter actually celebrated her birthday while we were away and the hotel made sure she felt very special, allowing us to decorate the table at dinner and bringing out a cake for her while all the guests sang happy birthday to her. She loved it!
We can't speak highly enough of Gordon and Lorna either who were both absolutely fantastic with the children. Both extremely friendly and welcoming to all who stay at the hotel. Both are an absolute credit to the Daish's Group and deserve much praise.
As for the hotel itself, it's lovely. We stayed in a family room. A double bed and 3 singles, very clean and spacious, high ceiling, giving a grand perception and a newly fitted bathroom complete with bath and shower. The maids were fantastic, in every morning cleaning, making beds etc while we had breakfast.
The food... Well anyone on here moaning about it, ignore them. It's plentiful and varied and all tasted delicious.
The entertainment at night clearly intends to cater for the wide variety of age groups staying at the hotel. Some were better than others but we must say, Good times duo were absolutely fantastic. I would have no qualms paying money to watch them again.
As I've mentioned several times, it's been a fantastic week and we're already looking into booking again for next year, and, we can not wait!!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Greeny1984
DavidandJoatDaishs, Manager at Daish's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Thank you for your lovely review!
It was a pleasure to welcome you all again.
Glad the children enjoyed the games and hope Elouise enjoyed celebrating her Birthday whilst on holiday. We have a lovely picture of her holding the bearded dragon!
Look forward to welcoming you all again next year.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

My wife and I have just returned from our first and probably only holiday with Daish’s in Shanklin. Diash’s have clearly done their homework and their sums and have produced a budget holiday package which seems to suit the majority of its visitors. Indeed, the sight of dozens of thank you cards pinned up in the reception area was a first for me.

The whole operation is run with what appears to be military precision. In some respects this is good (transport to and from home, check in etc.) but in the case of food it shows up the very cost conscious approach used with this type of holiday. For my wife and I the whole food experience was unsatisfactory. It seemed to be a return to the days of the seaside landlady who would demand that you all eat at a fixed time and that on Wednesday it was Menu 1, Thursday Menu 2 etc. Not only that but it brought a whole new dimension to fast food. Plates of food were hurled down on the tables and swept up as soon as you had finished, we were then asked what courses we would like for our dinner during breakfast! The distinct impression was ‘eat up and move out’. Furthermore I have to question the assertion that the food was plentiful and excellent as seen in some of the reviews. I would say it was neither. I think the food would appeal to those who used to enjoy school dinners, works canteen meals and food from holiday camps in the 1950’s. It was also served in less than ‘man-size’ portions. My wife and I had a table for two that was about 9 inches from a table of six and when we requested being re-seated for the privacy of both parties were told that “it might be possible later” but it never happened.

Our other problem was that the room we were allocated was located directly above the entertainment room and bar and behind the front courtyard. This proved to be very noisy until at least midnight when the musical entertainment had finished and the late night drinkers had staggered away. The fact that our room had only single glazed sash windows did nothing to deaden the sound. When asked after our first night whether we could change rooms we were told that it was not possible as the hotel was full. I don’t doubt that it was but I got the distinct feeling that the management do not welcome requests for changes as it disrupts the ‘routine’.

I decided to write this review in the sure and certain knowledge that nothing will change. After all why should it? The vast majority of people appeared to be having a wonderful time and we were clearly in a minority. However, I think that some of the reviewers have rose-tinted spectacles and I felt it was necessary to put a more balanced view for those who might be considering making a visit. We certainly enjoyed much of our holiday. The hotel is very pleasant, our room was well equipped and kept clean, the excursions were good and value for money and Shanklin itself is a very pretty location.

Room Tip: We had room 34 - it was noisy!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BroadsideDerby

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, sorry to hear that your holiday was not tailored to your needs, but we appreciate your comments that you are in the minority.
Again sorry that you felt the food was not up to your standard and portion size, had this been brought to our attention during your stay we would of been more than happy to discuss this with you.
Dining times during the summer months are flexible, breakfast 8.30-9.00 and evening meal 6.30-7.00.
Regarding your room, unfortunately or fortunately (whatever way you look at it!) it was carnival week with the procession's on Wednesday and Saturday passing the Hotel. This is not the norm for people gathering outside the hotel drinking until late. We were unable to move you as the hotel was full, which was explained.
However, we are glad that you found the hotel and Shanklin pleasant.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Just returned from a lovely time at Daish's. The staff went out of their way to be helpful, meals very good, lovely setting. Will definitely come back. Thanks Gordon & Lorna - you are stars! Matt's mom

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Barbara F

Thank you for a lovely review. We look forward to welcoming you all again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 5 in Cowes
The Channel View Hotel
The Channel View Hotel
#3 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to Daish's Hotel? Share your experiences!