“Good Hotel”
Review of Daish's Hotel

Daish's Hotel
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Shanklin
Reviewed 15 September 2013

The Daish's hotel is a good basic hotel. We were on the first floor and our room was spacious and had everything we needed. Some of the ground floor rooms have patio doors that open onto the Hotel's garden, which is really lovely for sitting out and having a drink but also has a play area for children.
The hotel does have lots of positives and only very minor not so positives.
The staff are exceptionally friendly, helpful and polite. We had a couple of bulbs that needed replacing in our room and these were done immediately. They have a handyman who seems to be always on duty and any minor repairs are completed straightaway. Rooms are clean and our housekeeper was really patient and through. Even though it was not needed, we did have a pile of fresh towels every day.
The manager, Gordon is also very friendly and helpful, and Leanne (his future daughter-in-law!) worked her socks off in the restaurant during breakfast and during the evening meal, again very patient, helpful, friendly and honest!!!! (We won't mention the trifle!!!)
The hotel does have wifi but you will probably only be able to access this on the ground floor in or around the reception area.
The only slight negatives I would have to comment on would be the swimming pool is, well, quite small and you probably wouldn't be able to do much swimming in it, the hotel is a teeny bit dated, but it does have a lift, the food was a little hit and miss, but we were there as a large party of 30 odd people so guess that's to be expected, but it was more good than bad and the dinning room/meals were exceptionally well organised and efficient.
The hotel is in a good location for Shanklin town centre and bus stops but not very close to the beach, it’s probably a good ten minute walk and the cliff lift makes it more accessible but costs £1.50 for a round trip!
The hotel does provide nightly entertainment, which would probably appeal to the more senior client group!
The hotel has a little coffee bar open most days just inside the hotel lobby. The Daish's coffee bar is a must even if you are not staying there. It is exceptionally good value for money. You can purchase a whole range of snacks and sandwiches which quite cheap, but cakes, muffins and cookies are a must. They look and taste like homemade and such a bargain for around 50p to 60p each.
Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at Daish's. Would really recommend the hotel and would not hesitate to stay there again myself.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms aare lovely
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank dee238_123

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Went with all of the family also the manager entertaining the young ones before there dinner. Bar staff were always helpful and always within earshot of the bar we all went from 20/08/13 to 27/08/13 and we all had an fantastic time at Daish's hotel in Shanklin on the isle of wright

Well Done to all the staff at Daish's hotel on the isle of wright

Room Tip: Room 12 is the fantastic room
5  Thank Jamie J
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Thanks to David and all the staff who made our stay so memorable.We have stayed in the past and just have to say your holidays just seem to get better and better well done.We have only returned home in the last few hours and I have received so many complimentary calls from friends who came with us saying how much they enjoyed the hospitality and friendliness of the staff that is certainly one of the best trips we have ever made and we have been arranging coach holidays for over 30 years.If you enjoy good plentiful food, excellent entertainment and clean comfortable accommodation then this is the hotel for you.Ignore all the negative reviews especially Rand R who stayed in June I cannot believe he stayed at this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 14 spacious with double and single bed side of garden,good sized bathroom
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Groupholdayorganizer
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Just returned from a weeks holiday at this lovely old hotel. Everything was great including bar prices and transport to and from Derby with safe experienced drivers.I found the staff extremely obliging and pleasant to talk to.I am always apprehensive when I stay somewhere new, but I felt immediately at home there and intend to return soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Carole M
DavidandJoatDaishs, Manager at Daish's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Thank you very much for your lovely, glad you enjoyed your holiday and felt at home here with us. Look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

I am definitely not wearing ‘rose tinted glasses’ when I say that this hotel is superb. Let me say from the start that when it comes to hotels I like to stay in style and I am very fussy about standards. Having stayed in top 5* London hotel luxury only just recently I feel that I am qualified to make judgements about hotel standards.
I stayed at Daish’s Hotel in Shanklin for seven nights last week and I cannot find anything but praise for the establishment.
The hotel prides itself on checking clients in as smoothly and as quickly as possible which is what the hotel manager and his staff did. This was a great relief after a long journey. My suitcase was delivered to my room almost as soon as I walked in the door.
I was given a ‘Premier room’ which I had asked for when I first booked the holiday. The room, which overlooked the garden, was comfortable, very spacious, clean and above all quiet. If there was one criticism it would be that although the room has obviously been decorated over and over again it has not been modernised save for the modern looking bathroom. Having said that there was a really nice warm, friendly feeling about the room and I had the most comfortable nights’ sleep I have ever spent in any hotel.
The warm, friendly feeling I felt in the room was also present in the rest of the hotel and in particular the dining room, or should I say rooms, as there were two dining areas. It is true that over 150 people (3 coach parties) swooped on the dining rooms at 6.30pm but never at any time did I feel hurried or even ignored. My praise goes to both the kitchen and restaurant staff for providing us all with a fantastic varied menu of good quality food presented efficiently and courteously and always with a smile and a caring attitude. Nothing was too much trouble and requests for more, not that one needed more food, were always granted. Even the odd person who changed their mind about the dish they had ordered was no inconvenience.
Yes we did have to choose our evening meal at breakfast but what else could one expect when the establishment deals with so many people? And in my experience this is no different from any other hotel of this type I have stayed at.
I must confess I was not looking for every single cobweb that often forms when one is not looking, nor wires dangling. To be honest I didn’t see anything like this at all. An old listed building like this does not readily allow additional wiring etc. to be hidden very easily.
In conclusion, I can understand the concerns of 'BroadsideDerby' but really one has to understand that if you book to go on a coach holiday one must accept that there will be restrictions such as inflexible breakfast and dinner times. This is perfectly normal, but if this is not acceptable then one should stay privately at a star rated hotel. That way one can dictate one’s own terms.
Also the fact that the hotel is consistently fully booked, which is testament in itself, will mean that the hotel is well ‘worn’ but it is not shabby by any means. On the contrary it is very bright and airy.
As far as I am concerned this is a superb hotel which does really well to provide an excellent stay for old and young people as well as families with young children – the facilities as described in the brochure are excellent. Over the past two years I have been on coach holidays with two very large coach companies and the standard came nowhere near the standard set by Daish’s Hotel at Shanklin.
Well done Daish’s Shanklin Hotel keep up the standards and don’t let negative comments stop you from providing excellent holidays.

Room Tip: always tell the management if there is something which concerns you rooms overlooking the garden...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank musicman301
DavidandJoatDaishs, Manager at Daish's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

What a lovely review to receive, thank you for taking the time to write so many nice things about the hotel and staff.
As you are season traveller and have been to many places and hotels it makes your review even more satisfying to read.
It was a pleasure to meet you both.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Went with the family, everyone was very considerate, especially since we are quite a big one, the waiter we had - Aaron I think his name was - was excellent always prompt and never tried to rush us and was really friendly. Other areas of the hotel matched this standard as well, with the manager entertaining the young ones before dinner. The maids always choose the right times to clean the rooms so you were never in each others way. Bar staff were always helpful and always within earshot of the bar. The hotel has definately improved since we came last year with plenty of things to do in or out of it.

Room Tip: Room 31 is an amazing room if you don't mind the sound of traffic but other then that the room i...
3  Thank mirrorgirlontheleft

Thank you for your lovely review. We are glad you enjoyed your holiday once again with us and look forward to welcoming you again next year for the third time!

Reviewed 23 August 2013

I have to agree with much of the review written by BroadsideDerby, their experience was very much like mine!
Ferry Trip- One of the highlights,loved this bit.
Coach- Great, the coach was early and the drive was smooth with enough comfort stops.The only criticism I have is that the driver did not introduce herself. She started communicating when everyone was aboard but I think a brief "Good Morning I am ....etc would have been much better.
Hotel- Check in speedy and efficient.Generally,without looking too closely the Hotel appears fine.Downstairs the dining room and reception area is nice however,certain areas need major TLC due to wallpaper/paint scuffs and the fire doors are "grubby".There was a large cobweb on the corridor near our room and it was there when we arrived and still there when we left 4 days later!I do wonder how Health and Safety have allowed some of the wiring in the Public areas and the residents rooms. There were wires hanging down in the TV/Pool room near the window and the TV wiring in the 2 rooms I viewed were poorly installed and lacked care.
The swimming pool looked ok but it had a strong chlorine smell which put me of fgoing in it.The smell also penetrated into our shower room too which was odd.
Food- It is traditional home cooked style,roast chicken,lamb,beef, and there was an adequate amount but the dining times were inflexible.YOU WILL EAT BREAKFAST AT 8.30 and Dinner at 6.30. Hence everyone descended on the dining room at the same time making the room hot and noisy.Service felt rushed, once finished the plate was whisked away and the next course served.The waiting staff were under huge pressure to serve everyone all at once . Also you have to make your dinner choice at breakfast which I found odd. They also run out of yogurts 10 mins into service and the orange juice was not chilled on one of the days.
Trips- disappointed Osbourne House was not on and no explanation given as to why.I know another guest had made contact with the Hotel and had been told it would be on.The West Wight trip was good and Wayne the driver, very good.
ROOMS- VERY DISAPPOINTING.I had a twin,number 56, the bed and bedding were clean and comfy and that is the only positive . Furniture was dated,chipped and marked and need to be skipped. Shower room was small and was advocado green so what 35 years old and it showed. The WC cistern was a nice clash of white! Signs of mould on the tiles and paintwork. New curtain pole fitted but noone has filled in the holes from the old fittings. General lack of care.Also no external window, the window looked out onto an internal corridor so the room could get stuffy.
My Parents had paid extra for a Premium room, it was better than mine but lacked care as well. The bathroom was nice, but the bedroom did not have a dressing table even though there was plenty of room for one.The curtains were poorly hung, the net curtain ripped and the wiring to the TV was danging about. My Mother did complain and was given a stand alone mirror but "David" the manager remained silent and non committal and let another member of staff to offer a solution which really did not make up for the missing piece of furniture.
On the whole the rooms were very disappointing and with regard to mine I would have been ashamed to rent it out. I did ask to move but was told the Hotel was full and no enquiry was made as to why I wanted to move. Another instance of a lack of care!
So I would not return to Daish Hotel Shanklin and as this was my first experience it will be my LAST....NEVER AGAIN.

Room Tip: If you must go ask for a newly refurbished room, number 40 looked nice
5  Thank Joheppi
DavidandJoatDaishs, General Manager at Daish's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your holiday with us.
We feel that many of your comments are unjust and incorrect.
It's clearly stated in the room booklet and in the welcome speech on arrival that breakfast is served between 8.30-9.00 and dinner is served 6.30-7.00. (During the summer months).
With regard to your rooms, we are sorry they were not adequate for your needs.
Sorry the hotel wasn't for you but as you can see by the majority of comments our guests enjoy the hotel and it's staff.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
The Royal Hotel
#4 of 51 in Shanklin
North House
North House
#2 of 5 in Cowes

Been to Daish's Hotel? Share your experiences!