“Holiday to Shanklin Beach Hotel”

Shanklin Beach Hotel
Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Shanklin
Reviewed 3 September 2013

On June19 2013 l went on holiday to Shanklin Beach Hotel Isle of Wight. My room 140 was a sea view one at the end of the balcony just a door with a window in it leading on to the balcony Just a piece of grey cloth with a bit of tape tied at the top of the rail about a foot away from the end of the window Only a bolt across the the door, bathroom very small toilet in direct view of the window. Thursday and Friday men working all day in front of my room, drilling , sawing, banging, loud music. Couldn’t watch tv or rest. I went to complain to reception, went for the manager. He came to the reception area. I told him about the work and loud music.
These were his exact words,’ we expect you to go out.’
When I arrived home I complained to the travel company. They got in touch with him this I what he told them. Many times I was offered a change of room but that I declined saying I preferred to stay where I was. A downright lie I’d take a lie detector test anytime only saw him the one time I stated.
The coach driver told me when we arrived back in Leeds that on Friday he couldn’t rest for the loud music. So that’s one of my complaints verified.
Some travel companies and hotel managers have an answer for everything even when they know you are right, you just can’t win. It’s like being a small fish in a sea of sharks, they just eat you up with words.
Spent money on phone calls and letters to the travel company. Offer £30 voucher, final £50 . They also knew some building work being carried out at the hotel. The manager had a bad attitude to me, not a nice person. Worst room I’ve ever had on any holiday worst experience.
Sylvia Leeds

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Lorraine W, Manager at Shanklin Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

We are very sorry that you suffered as a result of critical short-term work being done to the balcony that - due to ongoing problems - could not wait until the winter to be addressed. The majority of our guests do tend to go an explore the island during the day, wither with the coach company that brings then, or independently. It was hoped that the repair works would have inconvenienced as few guests as possible, and apologise that you were affected.
We appreciate you are unlikely to return, but are confident that if you ever changed your mind then you would enjoy a more positive experience at the hotel.

There are newer reviews for Shanklin Beach Hotel

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Just returned from our National Holidays trip to Shanklin Beach Hotel in the Isle of Wight.
We had a really good time in this hotel apart from our twin room and my sons single room. The rooms we had were very tired an dated and the en-suite was not very nice. We were at the back of the hotel so our view was an alleyway with a large inward opening window with a long drop, and some sort of generator or something running all night, which was worse cos we had to have the window open all the time as the room was very warm. I asked if we could have a different room but was told there were none available. Someone else asked to be moved as their room was noisy and they were moved straight away. We just put up with it in the end and didn't let it spoil our holiday.
I did look around some of the other rooms and they were really very nicely decorated with new en-suites so they are not all bad. If we'd have had one of those rooms we wouldn't have had any complaints at all. Some rooms were being decorated while we were there so maybe our rooms were some they hadn't got round to yet.
The maids came in everyday and left cleans towels and cleaned up.
The service at mealtimes was excellent. We had a very lovely Spanish waitress called Arancha (I am not sure if I have spelt that right) she was always very friendly, pleasant and polite. We especially liked the breakfasts and some of the evening meals were very nice.
We would stay again but would request a sea view room.
On the whole we had a really good time.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank tinkibob

I am glad to hear that you had a good time during your recent stay with us.

We are in the process of refurbishment and progressing our way through the rooms, It is unfortunate at the time of your visit we were unable to transfer you to one of the refurbished rooms.

Thank you for your comments regarding the services of the housekeeping team and also Arancha in the dining room, I will certainly pass these on to them.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

My husband and myself have just returned from this hotel.1st sight of the place and my heart sank it looked a bit sad and sorry for itself but my main concern was the selection of plant pots outside full of dogends and dead plants if this is the way it looks outside what would it look like inside?The reception area seemed to be full of people not doing an awful lot!We were allocated our room were inside it for two minutes and knew we couldn't stay in it for four days.Iwent straight to reception and asked for the seaview room I had requested in an email some weeks previously.To cut a long story short a very helpful lady by the name of Lorraine dealt with my problem in a very professional way and we got the room we had asked for.We went with national holidays we had a very nice competent driver by the name of Keith.We know these are budget holidays but surely if a few extra bob were charged the hotels could be vetted and the mumblings and groanings of people expecting 5 star when they have paid for 2 star could be avoided!Maybe it might be a good idea for National to mention more fully the standard of accommodation then the poor staff in these places wouldn't have the embarrassment of handing out keys fully expecting a backlash.The staff in the dining room worked very hard and I didnt see a miserable face the whole time.The food was hit and miss but for the price the people must be getting it was understandable.

Room Tip: Make sure when you book you request a seaview room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank quills068

Many thanks for your comments regarding your recent visit.

I am sorry that you felt the front of the hotel was not very inviting, we have since moved some of the old pots and have arranged for some winter flowers to be planted.

I was glad that I was able to help you with your room transfer, the arrangement is that the coach company deals with any requests for sea view and balcony rooms and take the appropriate fees. As the room was available it was my pleasure to be able to move you to this room.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Stayed at hotel 21.7.13 . 7 nights, My room (single) was shabby, wash basin badly in need of updating, shower room and toilet lacked basic facilities ie "toilet brush". No hotel information in bedroom,Had to ask for a chair !!! Food was fair, the waitress" Monika" was excellent.Why did I have to pay a single room supplement, for what was obviously a single room ??? Maybe you should tell National Holidays ....

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Alan Norman N
Noel W, General Manager at Shanklin Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Hi Mr Norman
Thank you for your report on your recent visit. I will pass on to Monika your comments and on her behalf I thank you.
Each Coach company request certian room types singles, doubles, twins, etc we allocate the rooms based on their guest list to us prior to arrival. As a Hotelier we do not get invloved with single supplements at this end. You will need to take that up with your Coach company.
As most of our request are for double twins and doubles we of course are redecorating them first.
Given the design of the Hotel by its original owner some 50 years ago, we dont have the luxury to expand our current single rooms. So I will apologise if your stay was not an enjoyable one.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Stayed here last year and really enjoyed it, we were looking forward to another great holiday with National Holidays. Got our keys on arrival and asked if our room had a balcony and Lilly the receptionist thought it had but as we were on the second floor I was sure it hadn't. We went back and asked to see the manager as we had paid £42 for a balcony. The manager said we hadn't paid for a balcony as coach companies couldn't book them during June/July and August. He said we had paid for a seaview and that was £6 per night which amounts to £36 and not £42. We were speaking to a couple from Glasgow also on a coach tour and they had complained about their allocated room and were moved to a room with a balcony at no extra cost? The food is disgusting one night pork in mushroom sauce was 2 slices of pork, 1 sliced mushroom in gravy. All vegetables were frozen veg, really poor quality. I felt sorry for Ramon the waiter and it was good to see him again. Beds only had quilts straightened and not sheets on two occasions. The description of the hotel is very misleading i.e. no Irish bar and only small seating area (4 leather settee's) in small bar lounge that closed at 9.00pm. Function lounge is an accident waiting to happen with function tables with covers on touching floor and we saw glasses pulled of tables on 2 separate nights as people got feet fast in table covers (health and safety spring to mind) The hotel was clean,towels and bed linen as well but that is the only redeeming feature. The manager should be grateful that he has coach tours coming weekly as I am sure the hotel wouldn't be full otherwise and I also recommend he goes on a customer service course. We definately won't be returning to this hotel or recommending it either.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank teriosbabe

Thank you for taking the time and adding yet another opinion to trip advisor, your review of the Hotel in Scotland says volumes about your taste and personality.
My staff and I personally received many positive comments from the rest of your coach party, whom incidentally thought you were not a very nice person . If there was a course to send guest on to improve their demeanor then I would gladly pay to send you there.
There is a very old saying "you get more flys with honey, than salt", and when a guest as yourself starts complaining as soon as their heels hit the pavement, myself or my staff have no interest in going the extra mile for. The very nice couple you refer to from Scotland on another tour group were very polite, understanding and patient and as such were welcomed by ALL my staff and myself, and are welcome back anytime they wish. However be assured your name will be added to our block list for future reservations. My advice to you would be not to travel on a budget coach budget unless your persona changes radically.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

The sea is across the road from the property. A lift very close to the hotel entrance makes going out into the town no issue. Walking to the Old Village provides many thatched buildings. The property has acceptable food and enough. Staff is most agreeable and helpful as is the Manager. While it is date there has been an renovation last year and everything is in good condition. Rooms are clean, everything works, and the only issue could be guests who have TV a bit loud. We would stay here again. I would not recommend the property for young children though there are plenty of activities for them very close. Halls are a bit noisy but it is old wooden construction.

Room Tip: Front rooms have sea view but back rooms are most quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Noel W, General Manager at Shanklin Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Guys, it was certainly a pleasure having you visit us last week. Your description of Hilton Head was however making me very envious. It sounds like a wonderful place and one I would certainly like to visit .
Very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and please come back again soon.
Regards
Noel

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Just returned from a National Holidays trip to this place.What can I say,i stayed in more modern places in the 60s,no shower,surely a basic requirement in this day and age,wallpaper peeling off the walls (check room 110)and the food,blimey where do you start,fish,chips and carrots broccoli and new potatoes???.The menu was so bad on Friday a lot of people ate out.I would go to the i.o.w again but to a different hotel.

Room Tip: front one with balcony
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello
Its always disspointing to hear when a guest is not happy with either the food or the decor. So doublely dissapointing when they are not happy with both.
As mentioned below on another review, we are a nation with very varied palets. The Hotel is in fact one of the oldest on the Isle of Wight and we are very proud to maintain some of its original heritage and I might add at great expense.
We do offer an even split of bathtubs to showers and when requested by the guest at time of reservation will try to accomdate if possible to fill that concern. Ironically the majority of our guest prefer a bathtub over the shower, and enjoy their time alone soaking in a nice hot bath.
Again thank you for your comments and your opinion.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
The Burlington Hotel
#2 of 51 in Shanklin
The Harrow Lodge Hotel
The Harrow Lodge Hotel
#9 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to Shanklin Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!