“shanklin beach stay”

Ranked #34 of 54 Hotels in Shanklin
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“shanklin beach stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

good stay , room great , staff very good and management good , but food needs to be checked some under cooked or over, one bad point grandson had a salad and cucumber was rotten like i said eye needs to be kept on things .

Room Tip: ask and pay for a front room with a view
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Frank M
L_Wade_Manager, Manager at Shanklin Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Thank you Frank for your review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found your room, and staff good. I am sorry that your grandson had a problem with his salad, I have spoken to the chef to ensure a closer eye is kept on all food leaving the kitchen so this does not happen again. Hope to see you in the future. Regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle upon Tyne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

We were on a five day trip National Holidays superdeal to the Shanklin Beach. I never have very high expectations when I pay £157 for a five day holiday but am usually pleasantly surprised and the Shanklin Beach was no exception!

The location of this hotel is superb - right on the beach with plenty of bars and restaurants nearby. We enjoyed a lovely coastal walk to Sandown. Old Shanklin village with its lovely thatched cottages is easily accessed via the beach lift and a short walk through Shanklin village

Reception was efficient and they were clearly well organised to deal with coach parties. Keys were quickly dispensed and brief directions provided. We did not pay for a sea view and did not get one! After all you do not spend your time on holiday staring out of the window. The room was not huge but had been recently decorated and had a new carpet although the fixtures and fittings were a little old fashioned. The beds were comfortable and the bedding nice and crisp however the room was really hot - no surprise with the day temperatures being in the high 20s. We slept on top of the covers with the windows wide open trying to keep cool - not that I am complaining!!

We were allocated dining tables for the entire trip and our waiter (Chris) was excellent providing us with superb service. There was plenty of choice and the food was good English cooking with no frills.I think we had at least 4 choices each of starters mains and desserts.Tap water was also provided. Wine at ten pounds a bottle was great value. We ordered our meal for dinner at breakfast time

Breakfasts were quickly served as they were again very organised having the cereals, fruit juice etc already in glasses/bowls although porridge was served direct from the kitchen. The full English was not huge but certainly adequate and they seemed to be able to provide any variation. The breakfasts were slightly different each day. Plenty of toast was provided and the coffee was filtered coffee and very acceptable. The tea was on the table when we arrived and was not always warm and ever so slightly stewed. I enjoyed all my meals particularly one meal when I had pheasant breasts (I did not expect that in a National Holidays hotel).

We did not experience the evening entertainment which seemed to consist mainly of singers which was not our cup of tea. Others on the coach seemed split regarding the standard from bad to average but most seemed to enjoy it.

We had a couple of day trips around the island which were OK although we did seem to spend more time that was required at most of the stops including the usual retail stops at a pearl outlet and rosemary's vineyard!

We were extremely lucky with the weather which was superb for September which may have coloured my view of this hotel but I believe not greatly so.

I think if you wanted to pick faults you could but when you are paying such a good price you need be realistic - you do not get 5 star accommodation for 2 star prices

Room Tip: Sea views on the first floor have balconies
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
11 Thank NIRS3
Thank for taking the time to review the hotel on Tripadvisor. It was good to hear that you enjoyed your holiday and I will certainly pass on your kind comments to the reception staff and also Chris in the dining room.
It was good to hear that you enjoyed the food, but I will certainly pass on your comments regarding the teapots on the tables at breakfast. Hopefully we will see you again in the future.
Saltburn-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

First trip to Isle of Wight with National Holidays. Coach driver Chris excellent, fellow passengers very friendly, island worth seeing. However very disappointed with my room 212 situated at the back of the hotel with a view of the carpark and cliff. It had not been refurbished and I suspect was only used when the hotel was full. Although it had a bath, it had not been cleaned for some time and had three scum lines around it. I had to clean it myself before I could take a bath. I raised this issue with reception but it was still not cleaned. I know this, as I left a small area untouched, to test the cleaning! The toilet leaked and the glaze was cracked which made it look very dirty. The taps on the bath were loose and when I attached the plastic mixer attachment, I had to be very careful. There was no wash basin in the bathroom only a chipped, disgusting, orange vanity unit in the bedroom. The wardrobe door was hanging off but was repaired by the builder when I mentioned it to him in the corridor. I was concerned that it could have fallen off and hurt me. The light pulley next to the bed was broken and I had to attach my dressing gown cord in order to use it. I thought standing on the chair represented a danger to my health and safety. The cord was changed after I reported it to reception. I was in a single bed with a mattress which was larger than the base, so I had to be careful not to sleep on the edge of the bed in case I fell out. Another danger to my health and safety! The builder offered to change the bed but I had given up by this time. The springs also creaked whenever I moved in bed. I also started sneezing badly and discovered that the bed base under the valance was thick with dust, I asked for this to be vacuumed. There were holes in the walls, some of which had been plastered and also in the door frame to the bedroom, where another door had been removed. Does the hotel housekeeper not check the rooms before allowing them to be used? On the plus side after the first evening, there was one vegetarian option available at dinner and the food was very nice. The staff were also very friendly. Sadly I could not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank redhead22013
Lorraine W, Manager at Shanklin Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit.
I was sorry to hear that you were not happy with your room. Unfortunately as you stated this is one our rooms that has not been refurbished as yet. I understand that you did report your issues to the front desk and the work needed at the time was done.
The housekeeping team did check your room and had the bath cleaned again.
At the time if you had come to reception we would have certainly tried to accommodate you with another room.
Many thanks for your comments regarding staff and I will certainly pass these onto them.

Travellers are raving about these Shanklin hotels

Newcastle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

I stayed here from the 7th Sep for 4 nights with National Holidays. I booked and got a single room but why the single supplement??
The room was very small and the shower en suite was micro sized !!! The sink (in a corner of the bedroom, no room in the Micro En Suite) had a huge crack in it which had some kind of polyfilla applied from underneath.
A shabby curtain was available to pull over the door leading to the balcony. There was some kind of sticky tape over the threshold to hold the rotten wood together.
The food was adaquate, no fresh fruit or veg though. I eventually bought fruit and yogurt from a local supermarket to have as my sweet.
The walls of my room were paper thin so any talking from the rooms either side woke me up during the night.
On the plus side the bed was clean, towels were changed as you wanted. The highest praise has to come for the fantastic, helpful, attentative waiter that served the table I was on. Such attention to detail is rare these days unless you go to a 4* place.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank shyleir
Many thanks for your comments regarding your stay with us on 7th September.

I was sorry to hear that you were not entirely satisfied with your room. We are undergoing refurbishment at the present time, and unfortunately at the time of your stay this was one of the rooms awaiting refurbishment, but we will certainly take notes of your comments regarding this room.
As regards to single supplement, we as a hotel do not charge single supplements as our single rooms are single rooms, unfortunately we cannot control what the coach company may charge.
I will pass on your kind comments regarding the housekeeping team and waiting staff.
Oldham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Booked this holiday with National coach holidays as a single person;never been with them or visited the Isle of Wight before.The journey including the ferry took around 9 hours.The hotel sits practically on the sandy beach,and first impressions were favourable:very pleasant staff to greet you and everyone had their room keys within minutes of arrival.The room allocated to me was not what I had asked for (room with a sea view),so I queried this with reception,and was then given a sea view room with a balcony,so I was very pleased.Then when I took a proper look at it I found the en-suite was tiny and very old fashioned,with barely enough room to wash or shower,the towels were however very clean and replaced daily.The duvet cover on my kingsize bed had not been ironed and looked as though some one had just got out of bed.The wardrobe and cupboard had painted louvred doors,way out of date.The curtains were in a word terrible;very thin,almost impossible to draw without yanking them across,and even then they would not meet.Some of the other guests told me that their shower consisted of a rubber tube that had to be attached to the taps!!! I had a lovely balcony which was well furnished with new table and chairs.The food here was excellent with great choice at breakfast and evening dinner,comfortable bar area,(prices a bit steep)and there was entertainment every night even though there were never more than a dozen people in what was the reception room for weddings.You had to feel sorry for the artists.National took us all over the Island and their driver Andy is the right man behind the wheel.Overall this hotel is no more than a 2 star,but I would not say don't go,It has quite a lot going for it,and if you fancy a trip to the Isle of Wight which is well worth seeing,this could be your Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask,and make sure you get a room with sea view.rooms at the back have wood pigeons to wake you very...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank pammytammy
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit. All sea view and balcony rooms should be requested and paid for via the coach company. As we had one of these available we transferred you upon your request.
I am sorry that you were not entirely happy with your room, we are undergoing refurbishment and will certainly take your comments on board.
We arrange entertainment every evening for our guests, unfortunately some do not choose to participate in this, therefore at times the function room does look a little empty.
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

On June19 2013 l went on holiday to Shanklin Beach Hotel Isle of Wight. My room 140 was a sea view one at the end of the balcony just a door with a window in it leading on to the balcony Just a piece of grey cloth with a bit of tape tied at the top of the rail about a foot away from the end of the window Only a bolt across the the door, bathroom very small toilet in direct view of the window. Thursday and Friday men working all day in front of my room, drilling , sawing, banging, loud music. Couldn’t watch tv or rest. I went to complain to reception, went for the manager. He came to the reception area. I told him about the work and loud music.
These were his exact words,’ we expect you to go out.’
When I arrived home I complained to the travel company. They got in touch with him this I what he told them. Many times I was offered a change of room but that I declined saying I preferred to stay where I was. A downright lie I’d take a lie detector test anytime only saw him the one time I stated.
The coach driver told me when we arrived back in Leeds that on Friday he couldn’t rest for the loud music. So that’s one of my complaints verified.
Some travel companies and hotel managers have an answer for everything even when they know you are right, you just can’t win. It’s like being a small fish in a sea of sharks, they just eat you up with words.
Spent money on phone calls and letters to the travel company. Offer £30 voucher, final £50 . They also knew some building work being carried out at the hotel. The manager had a bad attitude to me, not a nice person. Worst room I’ve ever had on any holiday worst experience.
Sylvia Leeds

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
We are very sorry that you suffered as a result of critical short-term work being done to the balcony that - due to ongoing problems - could not wait until the winter to be addressed. The majority of our guests do tend to go an explore the island during the day, wither with the coach company that brings then, or independently. It was hoped that the repair works would have inconvenienced as few guests as possible, and apologise that you were affected.
We appreciate you are unlikely to return, but are confident that if you ever changed your mind then you would enjoy a more positive experience at the hotel.
Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

Just returned from our National Holidays trip to Shanklin Beach Hotel in the Isle of Wight.
We had a really good time in this hotel apart from our twin room and my sons single room. The rooms we had were very tired an dated and the en-suite was not very nice. We were at the back of the hotel so our view was an alleyway with a large inward opening window with a long drop, and some sort of generator or something running all night, which was worse cos we had to have the window open all the time as the room was very warm. I asked if we could have a different room but was told there were none available. Someone else asked to be moved as their room was noisy and they were moved straight away. We just put up with it in the end and didn't let it spoil our holiday.
I did look around some of the other rooms and they were really very nicely decorated with new en-suites so they are not all bad. If we'd have had one of those rooms we wouldn't have had any complaints at all. Some rooms were being decorated while we were there so maybe our rooms were some they hadn't got round to yet.
The maids came in everyday and left cleans towels and cleaned up.
The service at mealtimes was excellent. We had a very lovely Spanish waitress called Arancha (I am not sure if I have spelt that right) she was always very friendly, pleasant and polite. We especially liked the breakfasts and some of the evening meals were very nice.
We would stay again but would request a sea view room.
On the whole we had a really good time.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank tinkibob
I am glad to hear that you had a good time during your recent stay with us.

We are in the process of refurbishment and progressing our way through the rooms, It is unfortunate at the time of your visit we were unable to transfer you to one of the refurbished rooms.

Thank you for your comments regarding the services of the housekeeping team and also Arancha in the dining room, I will certainly pass these on to them.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
The Burlington Hotel
#12 of 54 in Shanklin
Auckland Hotel
Auckland Hotel
#37 of 54 in Shanklin

Been to Shanklin Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!