“Quite appalling”

and 1 more site!
St. Leonards
Ranked #30 of 51 Shanklin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Well - I am sorry but I totally disagree with everything that has been written about this guest house. I booked on the strength of them and I was wholly disappointed. I can honestly say that this guest house was nothing like the reviews and one can only wonder about the validity of them.

So - first things first. The cleaner is nothing short of a treasure. The hotel was spotless and you can't fault them for that.

Moving on from there - I found Mrs Routledge pleasant and polite but Mr Routledge was borderline aggresive. I recommend that he goes on a customer service course if he is going to be front of house. Being asked to pay up on arrival is very off putting and also being told that "cash is preferred" does not make me feel that I am staying in a reputable guest house.

Breakfast - Having to submit your breakfast choices the night before is not what you expect in 2012. I am amazed that there are guest houses who still do this. The breakfast it self was ok - although clearly the produce used was supermarket bought. The orange juice was was from a carton. I did not find the choice of what to eat as amazing as some people have written about. It was all very average.

Bedroom - did what it said on the tin. I have mentioned the very high standard of cleaning and this was due to the cleaner.

Bathroom - shower cubicle was so small that it was becoming a chore to get ready to go out. No shelf in the cubicle - so products had to be balanced on the edge of the shower tray. Towels according to the "rule book" were to be changed on day 3 - this did not happen and as there were no drying facilties in the room - then more often than not the towel was still damp the following morning.

I was very disappointed with both this guest house and it's owners and I will not recommend it or indeed book to stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms in another guest house!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank Simon-Dwyed
TheStLeonards, Owner at St. Leonards, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

We always aim to please, clearly, on this occasion we have failed. We have heeded the comments and will take all necessary steps to ensure that this does not happen again.

Our small family run Guest House is rated by Visit Britain as 4 Star Silver Award. This accreditation is not easily achieved, it takes hard work and dedication. The facilities within the building and all of the guest rooms meet or exceed the requirements of this accreditation and The St. Leonards has a policy of continual improvement which ensures that, according to Trip Advisor, we remain among the highest ranked Guest Houses in our area.

However, this said, we do not pretend to compete with nearby Hotels who undoubtedly can offer a level of service above ours.

As a Guest House, we do not have a 24 hour Reception, which means that we request that accounts be settled on arrival, this is clearly stated on the email confirmation that the guests receive from us and therefore should be no surprise.

At certain times throughout the year we ask that Guests pay their accounts by cash or personal cheque. We do this to alleviate cash flow issues caused by Public and Bank Holidays. At this time payments made through our card terminal can take up to 11 days to reach our account. To suggest that this makes us somehow disreputable and on the make is nothing short of ludicrous.

I also take exception to personal attacks. This party arrived on Tuesday. Due to my workload I was not present at that time. During the 4 days of their stay I spoke to these guests for no more than 10 minutes. If this is sufficient time to judge a character then whoever these Guests meet with in future will have to be on their guard as who knows what they will be accused of.

Reviews like this can be disheartening, but it won't stop us trying to improve.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at St Leonards (in room 5) for 3 nights over the Jubilee weekend. It was our first trip to the Isle of Wight and we're so pleased we chose to come to St. Leonards - it is a rare find indeed!

If there was a manual on how to run an exceptional guesthouse then they probably wrote it! Christina and David are the warmest hosts you'll ever meet. But what makes St. Leonards extra special is those little details and the attention to detail that is shown. They have thought of everything and couldn't be nicer or more helpful.

Our room was a good size and very, very quiet. It was also great value. The bed was really comfy. We had a good strength shower and lots of towels. Lots of choice for breakfast and the feel that nothing would be too much trouble. It's in a fantastic location - two minutes from the beach and Shanklin old village with all its traditional pubs and restaurants. (we highly recommend a meal at the Black Cat thai restaurant. It was by far the best food we had on our whole trip - just make sure you book a table and you won't be disappointed. Two course meal for two plus bottle of wine was around £45).

I spend a lot of time reading reviews to choose where we will stay when we visit a new place, and this is one of the best places we have ever encountered. We plan to make this our home-from-home on the IOW when we return again!

Room Tip: Make it one at St Leonards!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HealthAngel
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I had a fantastic stay at the St Leonards. We had never been to the IOW and Christina and David were very helpful, giving us instructions for buses, eating out etc.
Breakfasts were brilliant, and a great selection to choose from, even doing custom made ones, for folk who had difficulty choosing from the extensive menu!!
Room was lovely, very clean and modern, and the shower en-suite really nice. All were cleaned daily.
Great location, within a short walk to the beach, the old village or the town.
We would highly recommend this B&B to everyone.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sue D
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Weekend break on IOW. My sister has been given a 50% discount for single occupancy, and her double room is spacious, with a large and comfortable queen size bed. Our family room is spacious too. Both rooms are modern and decorated in a high standard. The ensuite bathroom was newly refurbished. The accommodation is in a excellent location in Shanklin, less than 10 minutes walk to the beach and the town centre.

The electrical shower is not as powerful as common power shower. The double bed in the family room is relevant small.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank YIDING
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I have stayed in this B&B a number of times, it was originally recommended by a friend of a friend and I have never stayed anywhere else! I have been with my boyfriend for a mini break, I have been over when the festival has been on and I have also stayed here when I have been over on business and with my Mum. It has worked well on all my visits and Mum really loved it. I love the location of this place it is conveniently located to walk into the heart of Shanklin Village in 5 minutes and you can also be by the sea within 5 minutes. You have everything you need from shops, cafes, bars, pubs and restaurants all within walking distance. I also love this place for the breakfasts. Great choice, cooked perfectly, presnted well and the service is always spot on.
The owners David and Christina could not be more welcoming. They even have a little bar and lounge area where we found drinks very well priced. I have stayed in 3 or 4 rooms here and been very happy with them, the beds are very comfortable, the rooms and en suites are very clean.
My only other tip is I have found for the summer months this place can get booked up quite early so best to book in advance.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank RaquelH007
Reviewed 28 August 2011

David and Christine are lovely hosts, they are very welcoming and friendly. The rooms are spotless and well presented. The breakfast menu is varied and the breakfasts are presented and cooked lovely. We came last year for the first time and were so impressed we came back and will retrun again.

Helen and Finley

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2011

david and christina have a warm welcome and tea tray waiting for guests on their arrival. rooms are bright,spacious,clean and inviting.breakfasts are tasty with a varied selection available- service is excellent. during our stay both christina and david were quick to help and readily gave useful local information to us. a big thank you to the team for making our holiday so lovely.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family