“Super hotel; year after year”

The Channel View Hotel
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Shanklin
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We haved stayed at this super hotel twice a year for the last 10 years. Our last 'Turkey and Tinsel Dec 2011' visit was still exceptional. The room, views and facilities were super and our daily swim prepared us for a great evening meal. In recent years the hotel has improved it's choice of gluten free food, which make the break even more relaxing. The staff are friendly and polite; making our stay feel like 'home'. We look forward to our Spring visit.

Room Tip: Sea views are exceptional; worth the extra cost
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rsb836

Reviewed 4 February 2012

I stayed at the Channel View Hotel with my partner and daughter, who is in her twenties. I absolutely adore the Isle of Wight and we were really looking forward to our stay. Normally we just book hotels on a bed and breakfast rate but then find that most of our money is spent on food so, this time, we decided to go for half board. I was delighted to see that on the menu for our first night there they were serving salmon en croute, one of my favourites. I did think it sounded quite strange having sultanas in it but thought I would order it anyway. It was horrible! The pastry was soggy and the addition of the sultanas was vile.
Overall, the meals at the Channel View, including the breakfasts, were awful. The food was extremely mediocre and tasteless and the speed at which it was served hardly contributed to a relaxing dining experience. The waiting on staff were very polite but the cutlery had barely touched the tablecloth after taking the last mouthful of a course before it was whipped away and the next course practically thrown in front of you. My partner had ordered soup on the first evening and, how it didn't surge over the side of the bowl as it was flung before him, was nothing short of a miracle! On the second evening we actually timed (yes, I know it's sad!) how long it took for the three of us to have our three course meal, followed by coffee and it was forty minutes. We felt rushed and almost as if we were being a nuisance. The breakfasts were not any more relaxed either. We gave up after our second evening of dining and either ate in one of the local pubs or went into one of the lovely restaurants. What a waste of paying for half board. The only positive to come out of it was that we then enjoyed delicious food served at the correct pace amid a relaxed setting.
Another disappointment was the 'entertainment'. On the second evening there was supposed to be a disco in the large ballroom so we went along, thinking it might be fun. We felt so sorry for the DJ. By nine thirty there were nine of us in the room and the poor guy was desperately trying to create a lively atmosphere without much success. My daughter and I had one dance but just felt really uncomfortable and decided to move on into Shanklin instead. We felt so bad about leaving that we even apologised to the DJ who actually said he wasn't surprised!
The only positive about the Channel View was our room. We had a large bay fronted room right at the front of the hotel with an amazing view of the Solent. From that point of view it is the best hotel I have ever stayed in. The weather was gorgeous all week and so the view from our window was always stunning. It was also close enough to the front to just wander down to the beach whenever you felt like it. A total dream location. Often, in the evening, we just sauntered along the cliff path too. The en-suite bathroom was absolutely huge.
My daughter's room was to the side of the hotel and, although small, it too had a partial sea view and it was a pleasant room.
All in all, I think I would class the Channel View as a coach trip hotel. With absolutely no disrespect meant, the average age of the guests whilst we were there was about seventy years old and they all appeared quite content with the food. It is probably the kind of hotel where people of a certain age go year after year, thinking it is wonderful and if that suits them that's fine but if you're looking for something where the dining experience is to be savoured and enjoyed, avoid at all costs!

Room Tip: Choose a room at the front of the hotel. Worth paying the extra.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
13  Thank Relaxed33
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I have just returned from a trip to this hotel..i went with 4 friends and myself and we found the hotel to be excellent in every way..We had a 3 bedded room which overlooked the sea and the views were superb..The food every morning and evening was absolutely wonderful and the staff exceptionally polite and helpful..The evening entertainment was very good except on the last night, but that was not the hotels fault as the act that was booked could not attend and a stand in came along, but that did not spoil our enjoyment as the other guests staying were good fun..The owners of this hotel are lovely people and very helpful..I very much hope to return next year.

Room Tip: Upgrade to seaview
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
8  Thank jilly054
Reviewed 16 December 2011

What can I say? Fantastic. Wonderful. Sublime. The wife and I stayed for a long weekend in April (sorry for the delay) shortly before our son was born. Everything was perfect; food wonderful; service wonderful; pool wonderful. We are planning to return with our son next summer and I cannot wait to take the boy to the pool every morning. A superb hotel, beyond amazing.

• Stayed: April 2011
6  Thank Jasrust
Reviewed 14 December 2011

November 2011 saw our third visit to this superb hotel for my wife and I.
We've enjoyed this years stay as much as ever and have already booked for another visit.
A 4 day weekend with line dance entertainment...well organised and most enjoyable.
We do a lot of similar weekends all over the country but this hotel is by far the best and our favourite.
The owner Gill has superb management skills judging by the staff who cannot do enough to ensure you enjoy your stay. Nothing is too much trouble from room, bar and restaurant service.
A really warm & friendly welcome awaits all new arrivals.
Decor is bright and clean throughout. Rooms superb with lovely views to most.
The facilities are great with a lovely heated indoor pool. Great entertainment space and comfortable lounge areas.
The food is extremely good, catering for all tastes and the English staff were most helpful and attentive. Our main waitress 'Melanie' was a credit to the hotel and to young people in general. Much bad press is given to some elements of youth but in Melanie this hotel has found a gem.
Thank you Gill for a lovely time...we'll be back very soon.
Rod & Ann Hall

Room Tip: Premier rooms for sea views, although all the rooms we've had have been good. Next to the lift...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank Rod1Portsmouth
Reviewed 12 November 2011

My wife and I have just returned from a 4 night stay at this very pleasant hotel.

The staff and owners are all very friendly, the hotel is very clean and well positioned in Shanklin
We had a lovely view from our bedroom and we would recommend this hotel without hesitation for a pleasant stay on the Isle of Wight.

Room Tip: Premier select rooms have lovely sea views.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank Dawnandkeith
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We have just spent a long weekend at this hotel and we shall return. A family run hotel and by a family which obviously cares very much about it's product. Very clean, tastefully decorated, excellent food, spacious comfortable rooms and all members of staff with whom we had contact were very nice. Faults..... Too busy enjoying ourselves to notice any.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank Telprim
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
The Clifton
#7 of 51 in Shanklin
Rowborough Hotel
Rowborough Hotel
#1 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to The Channel View Hotel? Share your experiences!