“First time in Shanklin”

Ranked #37 of 52 Hotels in Shanklin
London, United Kingdom
“First time in Shanklin”
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

My wife offered me a weekend on the isle of wight as a gift for my birthday, she chose the victoria lodge and I was very happy with her choice. The owners are very friendly and nice, very helpful and attentionate for their guests. Coming from europe, I am not used to b&b style hotels, but I absolutely loved it! The location is pretty convenient as well, between the beach and the old Shanklin. I really want to come back to the isle of wight and I will come back to Victoria lodge!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank team_beezoo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Somerset
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Having just read the latest badly spelt report about this hotel with the title "Avoid!!!!* the person writing has obviously never stayed there. My wife and I are regular visitors and find the hotel spotlessly clean. New double glazing all round and Sallyann and Peter the perfect hosts. Nothing is too much trouble for them and their main wish is to ensure every guest has a fantastic break. This hotel is extremely well located 5mins from shops and 5mins from the beach. There is plenty of car park space. We will be going again the April for a long weekend and then a couple ore time throughout the year.

Room Tip: Sea view or east side.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank holidayhog
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Will not stay anywhere else, fantastic, clean and very very friendly. The hotel, is in a quiet part of Shanklin, 10 minutes walk from the old village, and the beach. There are plenty of pubs near the hotel, and no end of restaurants, I reccomend the Steamer on the sea front.
The hotel itself, has a wonderful lounge, a bar, and dining room, where you will enjoy a hearty full English that will help you start the day. Peter the owner was the perfect host, I didn't meet Sallyanne sadly.
It was the first time I have visited the island, and already planing on my next visit.

Room Tip: Get in quick, you won't be disappointed, rooms are clean, with tv en suite bathroom, tea and cof...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gavin C
Princes Risborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I stayed at the Victoria Lodge Hotel for a couple of nights to visit the classic car shows, and couldn't have been made more welcome by Peter & Sallyanne. Right from the booking where I telephoned to check on parking (there is plenty!) to the moment I left, Peter did everything he could to make sure everything was ok.

I had a good chat with Peter - I hope you read this Peter, as I know you don't like Trip Advisor - as I said the number of good reviews resulted in my booking, so don't worry about one or two rogue ones!

The hotel is situated near to the village in a very pleasant spot - the dining area looks across to the sea, so is wonderful for waking up with your breakfast. Speaking of which, the breakfast was very good both days, ordered in advance the night before (though you don't have to), it arrived quickly which was a bonus for someone needing to hurry up in the mornings.

I didn't eat in the evenings, but based on the dining room & breakfast would have been more than happy to do so. The hotel was bigger than I expected, but had a lovely family feel to it - nice and relaxing.

The single room was comfortable & clean (most importantly), and had the essential TV. Yes you can pick fault if you try - the wardrobe squeaked when walking across the floor, and the ensuite was cosy, but it was absolutely fine. Considering the price, Victoria Lodge comes very firmly recommended.

I would definitely stay again, and this deserves anyone's consideration for a trip to the Isle of Wight. It's a 5 blob for the welcome & comfort of the room, but the small ensuite took a blob off & I'd want a bath for a longer stay.

Thank you Peter & Sallyanne. I hope to stay again in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 302GSB
United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We were warmly greeted by our friendly host before we'd got out of the car. Our room had a sea view- always a bonus,and the hospitality was first rate all week. I will use this hotel again if I'm lucky enough to return to the Isle of Wight.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CarolynC477
London
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Spent a long weekend with family and as our usual Shankin B&B could not fit us in I opted for the Victoria Lodge as often passed by and commented it looked nice. Ideal position just a short stroll from the beach or village.

The owners Sallyanne and Peter were very welcoming and the rooms were comfortable and clean and lots of hot water (not always something that many B&B's can achieve). Breakfast was very good and although they ask to pre order the night before this is an option to assist with a speedy service and we found it to be fine. The rooms we had were a little on the small side but suited our needs as we were as usual out most of the time and came back only to bath/shower or rest. I would best describe the Victoria Lodge as a no frills good old fashioned B&B in a good location with good hosts.

All in all a good break and the Victoria will be on our list of establishments in Shanklin that we would use again in the future

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cfcsccc
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

A delightful little family run hotel, clean, tidy, nothing was too much trouble to make our stay as comfortable as possible. Excellent breakfast menu, providing the adventurous visitor with just the right energy boost to see them through a busy day doing whatever it is we 'Grockles' (Devonian word) like to do? We have no hesitation recommending this hotel, which is situated within easy walking distance of the seafront, the railway station, Shanklin Chine and the town centre with a choice of numerous eating and ale houses to cater for all tastes. Travelling either by car or bus around such a small island is easy, with a wealth of interesting attractions to visit, catering for all ages and tastes. A warm and genuine welcome awaits the weary traveller at this cosy hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bob2470
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanklin
Cliff Hall Hotel
#14 of 29 in Sandown
Medehamstede Hotel
Medehamstede Hotel
#30 of 52 in Shanklin

Been to Victoria Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!