We've just stayed at Chapel Cottage at Upper Chine. The cottage itself was great - it was clean and had everything we needed with basic supplies of washing up liquid, dishwasher tablets, loo roll etc provided. The main bedroom was very spacious and the other bedrooms fine. The garden area was a mix of decking and patio space with sun loungers and table/chairs and usefully a washing line (pegs were also supplied). It was a great location with a 20 min walk to the beach (at 3 year old speed) going past various tea rooms/pubs (although we didn't actually sample them). If I am being really picky then the bed was a bit on the soft side for me and a cheese grater would have been handy.
One of the downsides was the wifi connection - although the complex itself has several connections accessing them within the cottage was distinctly patchy (was OK in the garden or the car park but very intermittent in the house and Vodafone data coverage was also dropping in and out). The games room was good with pool table, gym equipment and childrens play area which was great for toddlers. There was also equipment for the beach (buckets/spades etc) that could be borrowed and over the road from the cottage was a lovely green park with play area.
The main disappointment was the pool which, as other people have said, was cold. It was around 28 degrees which was too cold for our 3 year old to spend much time in (we ended up buying a wetsuit wrap after our first dip to keep him warmer). There are also no changing rooms so you either had to change poolside or head back to your cottage wrapped in towel. Luckily we had good weather so spent a lot of time out and about exploring the island and didn't need to rely on the pool for entertainment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Self catering holiday cottages and Apartments,all with patio or balcony, in a small complex with a indoor swimming pool, gym, games room & tennis court. Located just a short walk to the picturesque old village Shanklin, where you can wine and dine. 10 minutes walk to the beach. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Upper Chine Holiday Cottages And Apartments
- Upper Chine Holiday Cottages & Apartments Hotel Shanklin
- Upper Chine Holiday Cottages & Apartments Shanklin, Isle Of Wight