“Friendly stay”

Ranked #14 of 78 Restaurants in Shanklin
Price range: US$5 - US$21
Cuisines: French, British
Good for: View, Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We are a free house and offer a wide selection of Isle of Wight ales, lagers, wines & spirits, together with a straightforward, homely menu that features succulent steaks and local seafood in addition to the usual seaside favourites. Why not come and unwind with us - enjoy a leisurely cocktail in our bar or outside on our sun terrace - all giving panoramic sea views from Shanklin across Sandown Bay towards the white cliffs of Culver Down. We offer live music every weekend.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Friendly stay”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Just returned after a four night, five day get away to the I.O.W. Stayed in the Waterfront Inn and found the food & service,excellent. Made to feel very welcome. Will visit again

Leeds
“lovely”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

A very busy restaurant, and on our first night we were turned away, but later in the week they managed to squeeze us in outside - a bit chilly but the food was lovely. A little less umming would have been nice - I get that they were busy and that's a good thing, but it can make you feel a little unwelcome....
Food was really good though - I had garlic bread with cheese to start, which was a mistake, as it was absolutely huge, with loads of cheese on, and I struggled to eat my main of waterfront chicken, which was really delicious.
Service was good too, and a good range of wines by the glass - the house saviugnon blanc was really good for the price.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Good hospitality”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Lovely place to chill out good choice of drinks watched the world go by and a superb sea view with pleasant staff

Visited August 2014
Chessington, United Kingdom
“Superb food & service!”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We ate here 2/8/2014 when staying in Shanklin for the weekend. We booked the morning before our meal and got lots of ummms & ahhhhs about whether they could fit us in that evening - this kind of erked me. In the end we agreed to eat earlier at 6pm in order to avoid the 7pm rush.
We received a very warm welcome on the door and was shown to our table, despite booking early the restaurant was still packed.
Me and my husband ordered the sharing seafood platter, my friend had the scampi and his wife ordered the pork tenderloin as she was not a seafood fan but ate here through losing vote ;-)
The service here really is spectacular, you have one girl taking your drink order, another person playing a maître d role (this girl in particular went above and beyond my expectations and liased with the customers) and then lots of runners clearing plates and glasses - very efficient indeed !
We waited quite a while for our food but didn't mind so much as I had booked the table earlier than I was ready to eat as previously mentioned. I just enjoyed the food and the kids entertainer making party animals, a very good touch.
When the food arrived it was very well presented and tasted perfect. The homeslaw was soooo yum and my friends seafood free option created a lot of envy at the table! We couldn't eat all of the seafood platter as I would say it was more than enough food for 3 adults rather than 2, no complaints about that though.
My only real complaint about this place would have to be about my friends scampi. When he ordered it we were all excited about seeing some proper homemade scampi as this was a seafood speciality restaurant, but when it arrived it was your average run of the mill frozen breaded scampi that every pub on the high street would serve. But with the exception of the scampi I would definately recommend the Waterfront Inn to a friend.

Chesham, United Kingdom
“A meal that was full of very pleasant suprises”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We chose the restaurant from views of previous Trip Advisor recommendations and were very happy to dine on those recommendations.
The meal was lovely with sensible portions and the owner ( I am am assuming she was ) , made us and the boys feel very welcome in the restaurant.
There were some lovely little extras that made the service just that little more personal and a little more special than your average seaside restaurant.
I would highly recommend a visit.
We were able to take the boys for a walk on the beach after leaving the restaurant for a fly of there kites, a lovely way to finish off a very busy day.

1 Thank Peter W